Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
So, perhaps I should explain why I am creating this thread.

Super Smash Bros, has been one of Nintendo's largest franchises, in brand notoriety and awareness, and the fact it's coming to Nintendo Switch this year is big.

It was revealed, officially via by the March 8th Nintendo Direct, that Super Smash Bros is coming to Nintendo Switch, and will include the Inklings from the original Splatoon from 2015. It has since then been followed by reactions of pure joy and shock, and also discussion for a few aspects of particular, like the possible lineup, and if it's a port or a completely new game.

It has been indicated via by Sakurai himself that he will be apart of the project, and it seems that there is some guessing on whether or not this will be made with Bandai Namco (Smash for 3DS and Wii U), or with Hal Laboratories (the team involved for the classic, Melee, and cooperated with Brawl).

The game, officially comes out sometime in 2018, with many wondering if it will debut the launch of Nintendo Switch Online in September.

What do you think? Who would you like to see for the Nintendo fighting franchise? What would you like to see changed from the 3DS and Wii U games for the Nintendo Switch? Comment down below!

29101446_10211014250100416_3056658942445748224_n.jpg

I'm surprised that you didn't pick this.

EDIT:

To contribute my guessing game into the fire, I'll go just more on some of the characters I think could come to the lineup

Pokemon Trainer - With the advent of Pokemon Switch, I can see this be the opportunity especially with them not having to worry about the line between 3DS and Wii U, to bring back Pokemon Trainer and to make more space with having Charizard and Lucario now with Pokemon trainer completely.

Champion Leader Zelda - With Champion Link coming into play, this may be an easy job for them to bring Champion Zelda from Breath of The Wild, and to revamp her fighting style to a more swordplay style while Link receives the Bow and Arrow seen in the trailer.

Viridi - Out of all of the smaller Nintendo properties, Kid Icarus has potential for a character like Viridi to come to Smash. She'd be a unique challenge for the team, and one that would actually not be surprising, considering she is already introduced into Smash via by the Palutena's Guidance and the Mii costume from Smash Wii U/3DS. It could also lead to interesting moves she can make, and to have a pseudo reset bomb as her final smash.

Crash Bandicoot - Out of all of the third party characters that could appear for this new game, Crash may actually make sense when you consider that he is starting to make a comeback in the gaming industry, and with rumors pointing to a new Crash in 2019, it may actually make sense to have him fight against Pac-Man, Sonic, Mega Man and Mario.

Last edited:
Will this be a port of the Wii U version or a completely new Smash? I just bought a Switch because I heard about this.

Will this be a port of the Wii U version or a completely new Smash? I just bought a Switch because I heard about this.

I would think with the 20th anniversary of Smash in Japan, and with how Hal Laboratory was fully in the trailer at the end (even without other companies), I have to think it'd be a new game, or if anything, a pseudo sequel like what happened with Splatoon and Splatoon 2.

I think they’ll promote it as a new game. But graphically it’ll probably look very similar to Smash Wii U (not a bad thing). But I would like to see some new moves for the characters. Like Mario possibly having Cappy and incorporating that into his arsenal. Link is apparently in his BOTW gear so maybe some new moves for him as well.

I doubt it’s possible but I’d love to see Banjo-Kazooie as a playable character. A story mode too like the one in Melee.

I doubt it’s possible but I’d love to see Banjo-Kazooie as a playable character. A story mode too like the one in Melee.

Yeah, you would have to deal with the fact that Rare is fully owned by Microsoft, and while maybe a little bit possible, probable is a different question for Banjo or Conker.

And as for story mode, aren't you referring to Brawls adventure mode and not Melee?

Yeah, you would have to deal with the fact that Rare is fully owned by Microsoft, and while maybe a little bit possible, probable is a different question for Banjo or Conker.
I think now that Cloud has made it into Smash, absolutely anyone is possible. Heck, there's Xbox One crossplay on several Switch games and Halo skin packs are available on Minecraft Switch... it wouldn't be a huge stretch for Microsoft to allow a character they hardly even use in Smash.

I think now that Cloud has made it into Smash, absolutely anyone is possible. Heck, there's Xbox One crossplay on several Switch games and Halo skin packs are available on Minecraft Switch... it wouldn't be a huge stretch for Microsoft to allow a character they hardly even use in Smash.

If Microsoft and Nintendo come to an agreement for Smash, I would think that they wouldn't go for Banjo and go for Master Chief.

There's no way this isn't a new game.

Also, cuz why not. Characters I'd like to see.

- Bajoo-Kazooie
- King K. Rool (a man can dream)
- Urbosa
- Crash Bandicoot
- Snake (He's been in it before, would like to see him back)

Master Chief would be interesting .

If Microsoft and Nintendo come to an agreement for Smash, I would think that they wouldn't go for Banjo and go for Master Chief.
I highly disagree, actually. Unlike say, Sonic/Crash who used to be a direct competitor to Mario but are now on the same system, or Cloud/Snake who come from game series that originated on Nintendo, Halo has absolutely 0 relation to Nintendo, not even appearing on a Nintendo system besides the Minecraft costume. If they were to make a deal with Microsoft, it'd likely be to bring Banjo back to Nintendo just for a Smash appearance, or they wouldn't even bother negotiating with Microsoft at all.

I highly disagree, actually. Unlike say, Sonic/Crash who used to be a direct competitor to Mario but are now on the same system, or Cloud/Snake who come from game series that originated on Nintendo, Halo has absolutely 0 relation to Nintendo, not even appearing on a Nintendo system besides the Minecraft costume. If they were to make a deal with Microsoft, it'd likely be to bring Banjo back to Nintendo just for a Smash appearance, or they wouldn't even bother negotiating with Microsoft at all.

Then allow me to remind you about Pac Man.

I think this is important to note that the new protagonist for the new Fire Emblem game for the Switch might be in this game

Also I'm gonna give Rex/Pyra a strong shout (from Xenoblade Chronicles 2)

My predictions for playable characters:
- Ice Climbers. Without the 3DS version holding the game back, there's absolutely no reason to cut them this time.
- Wolf. Once Ice Climbers come back, he'll basically be the only veteran to not have come back that doesn't have a rights issue (Snake), a clone (Young Link, Pichu), or redundant (Squirtle, Ivysaur). And no, Wolf is not a clone. Sharing 4 moves with Fox/Falco =/= clone.
- Takamaru. Sakurai has said in interviews that he's considered Takamaru as playable multiple times, and he was even an assist trophy in 4. I could very easily see him evolving into a new fighter, adding a new obscure classic character.
- Chorus Boys. Rhythm Heaven has quiet the cult fanbase compared to a lot of other obscure Nintendo series, and the Chorus Boys were HEAVILY rumored to be in Smash 4. I could definitely see them actually making it in this time due to fan demand.
- Spring Man. ARMS may have not been as big as Splatoon but it still got a decent amount of sales and fans nonetheless, and the characters are so unique that a rep is a no-brainer. Spring Man, being the mascot of the game, makes the most sense.
- Rex and/or Pyra. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was the most successful in the series (breaking 1 million sales), introduced a lot of fans to Xenoblade, and apparently Sakurai himself loved the game. They seem like a shoo-in to me.
- Crash Bandicoot. This isn't incredibly likely, but still plausible, IMO. He'd make for a Cloud-level surprise if he were announced, and with Crash being a Sonic-esque former rival of Mario, now on Nintendo systems, I could see it.

I think this is important to note that the new protagonist for the new Fire Emblem game for the Switch might be in this game

Also I'm gonna give Rex/Pyra a strong shout (from Xenoblade Chronicles 2)

I see the Fire Emblem Switch character being DLC, but that a currently appearing Fire Emblem character will be replaced by someone else for the default game.

I don't think Lucina is leaving, but that I can totally see Roy and/or Ike getting the cut.
Hopefully Roy. I don't like when original movesets get the cut; but a clone such as Roy or Lucina I'm okay seeing gone. Roy in particular seems like a more likely goner, with Lucina being as popular as she is. Plus, Ike scored the highest on multiple Fire Emblem Heroes popularity polls, so I'd be shocked if they removed him now.