Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Grinch (2018)

I'm "butting in" because people are complaining about a title card like it's indicative of a film. Complaints about the title card length are valid (as I've said already). Complaints about the actual movie are fine. But harping on what is the Illumination equivalent of Cinderella's Castle is just unreasonable, misdirected loathing.
People feel the way they do because Illumination has a reputation for making films that stoop to the lowest common denominator and care little about developing a good story or plot. Say what you want about Luxo in the Pixar intro, but at least they seem to give a damn about the end product they're putting forward.

People feel the way they do because Illumination has a reputation for making films that stoop to the lowest common denominator and care little about developing a good story or plot. Say what you want about Luxo in the Pixar intro, but at least they seem to give a damn about the end product they're putting forward.

Cough Cough good dinosaur and Cars 2....

We're not talking about what it indicates of the film, we're talking about Illumination's obnoxious marketing techniques. The problem is that Illumination views their films as product first, film second.
But that is exactly what it is. It isn't the film friendship, it's the film industry. The only reason you view it as film before product is because it isn't your product.

As far as this Grinch, the trailer made me laugh, and that wins it for me. I'm sure I'll enjoy the rest of the movie because I'm not overthinking a plot wayyyyyyy before it comes out.

I have had to sit through Sing many times and wasnt that bad, plus SLOP whilst disappointing certainly wasnt unwatchable
Secret Life of Pets is unbearable to watch. Not sure how that movie made so much money. SING on the other hand was awesome.

Pretty much every kid in the world disagrees.

You know.. The target demographic.

Ah good to know the discussion has now come to the “it’s just for KIDS” argument. Honestly I’d be happier if children were getting quality entertainment over mediocre trash, but that’s just me. Pixar makes wonderful films for all ages, but eh they’re just for kids so animation can’t be good?

But that is exactly what it is. It isn't the film friendship, it's the film industry. The only reason you view it as film before product is because it isn't your product.

Tell that to other companies that spend their money towards story development unlike Illumination who actually defers those funds towards marketing instead. At least most studios want their films to be yknow, good?

Ah good to know the discussion has now come to the “it’s just for KIDS” argument. Honestly I’d be happier if children were getting quality entertainment over mediocre trash, but that’s just me. Pixar makes wonderful films for all ages, but eh they’re just for kids so animation can’t be good?

That's your opinion. My daughter hated Inside Out, one of those "wonderful films". Thats fine if Pixar wants to make their movies go over kid's heads so the adults like them. But at the end of the day, they are kid's movies. And whatever Illumination is doing seems to work. Trashing their product because you don't like it is pointless.

That's your opinion. My daughter hated Inside Out, one of those "wonderful films". Thats fine if Pixar wants to make their movies go over kid's heads so the adults like them. But at the end of the day, they are kid's movies. And whatever Illumination is doing seems to work. Trashing their product because you don't like it is pointless.

If this was a fringe opinion but most critics happened to agree with it... and it's an opinion? I never said nobody is allowed to like Illumination. In fact, I like the original Despicable Me. It's a cute movie. But the powers that be squirreled their reputation away in actual factual production facts in the industry overall. That's my point.

If your daughter likes it, fine, but I believe overall they do a disservice to animation. I'm sorry if my opinion is "invalid" because "they're just kids movies".

If this was a fringe opinion but most critics happened to agree with it... and it's an opinion? I never said nobody is allowed to like Illumination. In fact, I like the original Despicable Me. It's a cute movie. But the powers that be squirreled their reputation away in actual factual production facts in the industry overall. That's my point.

If your daughter likes it, fine, but I believe overall they do a disservice to animation. I'm sorry if my opinion is "invalid" because "they're just kids movies".

Critics are not their target demographic either. Nor is Rotten Tomatoes. It's kids, and they do a good job making movies that kids want to see.

I know that $$$$ doesn't equal quality, but comparing the last 2 offerings,

Illumination's DM3 made $1.035 Billion.

PIXAR's Coco made $748.9 million.

Illumination makes movies that kids want to see over and over. That's their business model, and they are good at it. If giving it a story that critics and adults like costs them a few hundred million, there isn't an incentive to do it.

Disney's animation output is the highest quality, but it doesn't mean Illumination's is trash. I've honestly liked everything they've put out, especially Despicable Me, Secret Life of Pets and Sing. The DM sequels had a significant drop-off in quality but were still watchable and pretty entertaining.

You don't have to like it, but the fact that the intended audience, which is children, does, is what matters here.
But kids will like any garbage you show them. I'd much rather show my kid something that will help them think and develop then bouncy colors that will shut them up for two hours. But maybe I'm getting a bit pretentious. :lol:
I know that $$$$ doesn't equal quality, but comparing the last 2 offerings,

Illumination's DM3 made $1.035 Billion.

PIXAR's Coco made $748.9 million.
:sick::sick::sick: