Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Concept for USH's 2nd Gate and How it Could Work

I've never been to USH, but from an outsiders perspective, that park needs a TON of work before they even consider a second gate. Like, ten years worth of work minimum. It may have come far, but it still has a long, long way to go.

I've never been to USH, but from an outsiders perspective, that park needs a TON of work before they even consider a second gate. Like, ten years worth of work minimum. It may have come far, but it still has a long, long way to go.

Agree to a point. But once they add Diagon, Jurrasic World, and Super Nintendo, that park is going to be a beast!

You mean for the olympics in LA?

Any idea of what that might be?

I mean that how a lot of the parks now have time to prep for the Los Angeles Olympic crowds, pre Olympics and Post Olympics. And that for Universal and Disney, I would think they would want to take advantage of that plausibilty by any means they can.

Universal will benefit more from the Olympics, by a mile, considering lot of international productions will take place on the lot.

If anything, I actually think the attendance would spike for USH if they continue the Studio Tour by then, so they can get up as close as possible to seeing the crews do their work during the time of Olympics.

The park has nine rides and three large shows. On top of that, smaller attractions/shows in TWD, Ollivanders, Tri-Wizard and Frog Choir. With SLoP, JW and Nintendo, USH will have just as much as any other park out there. That's not counting, whatever else will come between now and the Olympics. It always boggles my mind, when people continue to say Hollywood is still a ways off. They're not that far off. What this park severely lacks is a hotel. They should've had one when Potter opened, but they choose not to for whatever reason (and no, it has nothing to do with a lack of land). CityWalk is turning into a destination once again and within the next year and a half will be doing better than ever.

Does USH need to add and fix a few things before considering a second gate...yes. But let's not act like Hollywood is all that far off. Attendance is on the rise and with the Olympics coming in 2028 which is not all that far off, Hollywood is going to grow more than anyone could've ever imagined.

The park has nine rides and three large shows. On top of that, smaller attractions/shows in TWD, Ollivanders, Tri-Wizard and Frog Choir. With SLoP, JW and Nintendo, USH will have just as much as any other park out there. That's not counting, whatever else will come between now and the Olympics. It always boggles my mind, when people continue to say Hollywood is still a ways off. They're not that far off. What this park severely lacks is a hotel. They should've had one when Potter opened, but they choose not to for whatever reason (and no, it has nothing to do with a lack of land). CityWalk is turning into a destination once again and within the next year and a half will be doing better than ever.

Does USH need to add and fix a few things before considering a second gate...yes. But let's not act like Hollywood is all that far off. Attendance is on the rise and with the Olympics coming in 2028 which is not all that far off, Hollywood is going to grow more than anyone could've ever imagined.

I would say if they wouldn't want a hotel, the odds are that they would not have I think the intention to reject that Hilton expansion.

The best case scenario is that Hollywood handles it's hotels like Osaka, having perhaps a few dedicated hotels around resort property (Fum Lungs and the Perfered lot) but partnering up with Hilton and Sheraton as "Partner Hotels".

Universal Hollywood has grown so much, with a diverse and unique range of attractions and shows that cater to mostly everyone. Hell, I would even put them on a nearly similar leg to Osaka on variety.

I would say if they wouldn't want a hotel, the odds are that they would not have I think the intention to reject that Hilton expansion.

The best case scenario is that Hollywood handles it's hotels like Osaka, having perhaps a few dedicated hotels around resort property (Fum Lungs and the Perfered lot) but partnering up with Hilton and Sheraton as "Partner Hotels".

Universal Hollywood has grown so much, with a diverse and unique range of attractions and shows that cater to mostly everyone. Hell, I would even put them on a nearly similar leg to Osaka on variety.

I agree on the Hilton front, Hilton is in for a battle with NBCUniversal, unless they’re able to come to some sort of agreement.

Idk, it just felt like there wasn't enough to do when I was there. Slop adds one ride. JW is just an overlay of an existing ride correct? Nintendo is rumored to add 2 rides, or 3 tops. Those help, but IMO it needs more capacity. Especially if they are going to keep growing. The marketing for the new rides will add attendance. Adding hotels, will likely increase attendance as well as it ends up adding days to stays. USH may have as many rides then as individual parks, but when you start comparing it to the DLR resort, UOR resort, and WDW resort, it is really lacking on things to do. When you start talking hotels and multi-day stays, you have to compare it to what the other resorts have to offer.

Consider this approach...

People always say that Universal Studios Hollywood doesn't have enough to do...and that has always been true! But...if you consider that park attendance is on the rise and when Disneyland is filling their parking lots full and still building new parking structures...Universal is going to find themselves in a very similar situation. The only way to bring pressure down on Universal Studios Hollywood's main gate turnstile area will be to build a 2nd gate to help divide the crowds. That will solve the bottleneck issues for the most part because foot traffic will be divided to other areas. Universal's 2nd California park would not have to be the size of California Adventure! It only needs to support the need of a similar amount of entertainment to Universal Studios Hollywood. Shows are an easy way to fill the void, plus any focus on parades and concert venues can be placed into the new park. This would also allow for the 2 park model of Orlando to have a very similar ticket selling point. Just consider Hollywood to slowly become a smaller version of Orlando. I think the VIP tour would always stay, but the main tour we know of today would disappear along with Earthquake, Jaws, Flash Flood, and Kong 360.

Ok, lets pull out the counts again...

USF:
Shrek 4D
Despicable Me
Jimmy Fallon
Transformers
Mummy
Supercharged
Gringotts
Fear Factor Live
MIB
Simpsons
ET
Rip Ride Rocket
Animal Actors
Kid Zone (3 playgrounds)

Universal Studios Hollywood:
Waterworld
Kung Fu Panda
Forbidden Journey
Hippogriff
Simpsons
Studio Tour (Kong, Jaws, Earthquake, Supercharged)
Despicable Me
Super Silly Fun Land
Jurassic Park
Mummy
Transformers
Animal Actors
Special Effects Stages

Yes, the lineup is stronger on the "rides" for Florida...but the attraction counts are very close. Universal Studios Hollywood for many years has always operated on 13 attractions total where Orlando is closer to 14 per park. Add T23D replacement and SLoP to this list and we have a very strong comparison. The only difference is that Hollywood's Tour pushes 3-4 major attractions while waiting in line for only 1 queue.

...and I still kept Dino Play and Silly Swirly off this list.

Consider this approach...

People always say that Universal Studios Hollywood doesn't have enough to do...and that has always been true! But...if you consider that park attendance is on the rise and when Disneyland is filling their parking lots full and still building new parking structures...Universal is going to find themselves in a very similar situation. The only way to bring pressure down on Universal Studios Hollywood's main gate turnstile area will be to build a 2nd gate to help divide the crowds. That will solve the bottleneck issues for the most part because foot traffic will be divided to other areas. Universal's 2nd California park would not have to be the size of California Adventure! It only needs to support the need of a similar amount of entertainment to Universal Studios Hollywood. Shows are an easy way to fill the void, plus any focus on parades and concert venues can be placed into the new park. This would also allow for the 2 park model of Orlando to have a very similar ticket selling point. Just consider Hollywood to slowly become a smaller version of Orlando. I think the VIP tour would always stay, but the main tour we know of today would disappear along with Earthquake, Jaws, Flash Flood, and Kong 360.

If 2 parks share the same amount of guests that 1 Park can handle, it results in less profit. Unto we see a Universal branded hotel, I don’t see them build a 2nd park.

However... Uni could go the water park route as SoCal doesn’t really have a “Water Theme Park”