UOR staff accused of "Fat-Shaming" | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

UOR staff accused of "Fat-Shaming"

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
With all due respect, I find it difficult to believe she was "humiliated" about being "fat-shamed" when she is making a big deal about this to two news networks. It seems clear to me she wanted to take advantage of the situation to be entitled to lawsuit money.

Well, she got a gift card and a free dinner over that. She got something.

Last edited:
With all due respect, I find it difficult to believe she was "humiliated" about being "fat-shamed" when she is making a big deal about this to two news networks. It seems clear to me she wanted to take advantage of the situation to be entitled to lawsuit money.

Well, she got a gift card and a free dinner over that. She got something.

I don't get that either. If I'm humiliated about something, I'm not telling anybody, especially a news network but I'm guessing somebody has been whispering in her ear that she could make a bit of money out of this and is making it a bigger deal than it actually was.

Universal should have dealt with this at the time. In business, it's amazing how far people will go to not do something, most of the time it takes longer to explain to a customer why you can't do something than to actually do it. With F&F opening soon and virtually using an identical system to this, they don't need the bad PR.

Two years ago I needed to do Universal in a wheelchair. I felt terrible and was scared for reactions. Sure I got enough stares from guests but the team members went above and beyond to feel me comfortable and appreciated I was there. It was so incredible I contacted customer service to complement them. I for sure am not the thinnes guy but I fitted in the rides no problem. Sure I can't do coasters anymore due to the G forces. I also have osteoporosis and my bones will probably break above 1 G. That is not a reason to cry and blame Universal for not accommodating me. I enjoy watching people on Hulk and remember the time I could ride it fondly.

You know what's funny is that my family and I have had similar experiences on this ride and on small world.....and we couldn't stop laughing. There are some large people in my family and they really filled in the row. We were packed in like a can of sardines and we couldn't stop laughing. Same thing happened on Small World but the boat was nearly submerged underwater and titled to one side. Good Times

Last edited:
Can I have an extra seat? Can my child have an extra seat? Once you start, how do you draw the line? Imagine this on Slinky Coaster.

I feel bad for the loading TMs. Must be a tough job. At least they should be protected by published ride restriction rules, so not put in awkward position / blamed for making a judgement.

Reactions: jrn14
Imagine my shock when the ride in question was Kong and not Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, Rip Ride Rockit, Hulk, or another ride where guests really do feel fat shamed for not being able to fit. :lol:

As a single rider, I get it sometimes when Universal adds you to a row with a family of 5 on there and you're like... oh gosh. Are these people even going to move down enough to squeeze me in? They waited an hour, they probably want the ends too for their line of vision which is limited as it is on Kong. Also, do you really want to feel a strangers thigh sometimes when the motion base starts going and you can't hold your clench? All awkward, yes. But fat shaming it is not.

My friend had the same thing happen on Pirates of the Caribbean. In this case, he asked if they could not squeeze into a row with 2 or 3 other patrons because 1 of them is larger and they would rather wait for another boat. Their request was also denied.

This is such bs. Does she even realize that by them allowing her this comfort would be acting to someone else's discomfort? No they're not going to make other paying customers wait because you want less people in your row girl u crazy? Plus she was with her daughters so they're likely used to her dimensions and it wouldn't be uncomfortable with one of them on each side of her. She already probably knows she can't fit on most rides there, and then she wants extra accommodations for one of the few she can fit? You can't call it fat shaming when you CAN ride lady:mad:

This is such bs. Does she even realize that by them allowing her this comfort would be acting to someone else's discomfort? No they're not going to make other paying customers wait because you want less people in your row girl u crazy? Plus she was with her daughters so they're likely used to her dimensions and it wouldn't be uncomfortable with one of them on each side of her. She already probably knows she can't fit on most rides there, and then she wants extra accommodations for one of the few she can fit? You can't call it fat shaming when you CAN ride lady:mad:
I disagree I think it’s a very reasonable request. In fact I would go a step further and say this is something the TM’s should be trained to automatically do. This doesn’t only discomfort her, but other riders in her row. I certainly wouldn’t want to be squeezed into a row like that. I’ve had it happen to me a handful of times, it’s not the best thing. It’s kind of like how some ride vehicles take different combinations of children and adults, 2 adults or adult with 2 children for example. Now her reaction to this is a different story.

I’d rather wait for the next vehicle than be squashed in beside her personally. I don’t see that as a discomfort to anybody else.

I’d rather wait for the next vehicle than be squashed in beside her personally. I don’t see that as a discomfort to anybody else.
I'm saying that whenever she rides...at some point isn't someone going to have to wait because she "wants to ride with less people"? I'd be pissed as well as others would be for the extra time I'd have to wait no matter how long it would take, especially if its busy which it is.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I disagree I think it’s a very reasonable request. In fact I would go a step further and say this is something the TM’s should be trained to automatically do. This doesn’t only discomfort her, but other riders in her row. I certainly wouldn’t want to be squeezed into a row like that. I’ve had it happen to me a handful of times, it’s not the best thing. It’s kind of like how some ride vehicles take different combinations of children and adults, 2 adults or adult with 2 children for example. Now her reaction to this is a different story.
This is basically how I feel about the situation.

I'm saying that whenever she rides...at some point isn't someone going to have to wait because she "wants to ride with less people"? I'd be pissed as well as others would be for the extra time I'd have to wait no matter how long it would take, especially if its busy which it is.

I think Kong is maybe the exception to the rule but I agree with you. A similar thing happened with Kumba a few years ago. A disabled woman walked up the exit and got into my row so I had to wait which was fine but Busch only ride one train at a time so I had to wait for a full cycle, then she wanted to ride again. And then again. As this is happening, a thunder storm was rolling in and I knew it was going to close sooner than later. Naturally being a Brit I said nothing. Then wouldn’t you know, guess who I was sitting beside in Congo River Rapids and then again later on Montu.

When was this meant to have happened? She says she bought annual passes a year ago and didn’t know there was weight limits?

Last edited:
Given the option of having to wait an extra 5 seconds or be crammed into a car I'd rather wait. I would say even more so if it's really busy. It's even worse if you wait an hour for a ride and then the experience is ruined because your pushed up against the side of the vehicle.

I think Kong is maybe the exception to the rule but I agree with you. A similar thing happened with Kumba a few years ago. A disabled woman walked up the exit and got into my row so I had to wait which was fine but Busch only ride one train at a time so I had to wait for a full cycle, then she wanted to ride again. And then again. As this is happening, a thunder storm was rolling in and I knew it was going to close sooner than later. Naturally being a Brit I said nothing. Then wouldn’t you know, guess who I was sitting beside in Congo River Rapids and then again later on Montu.

When was this meant to have happened? She says she bought annual passes a year ago and didn’t know there was weight limits?
Exactly the same thing I was thinking. For you to buy annual passes you obviously know your way around come on. She is not disabled she is just plus size and that's fine but you do NOT get to have special accommodations as if you were disabled.

Given the option of having to wait an extra 5 seconds or be crammed into a car I'd rather wait. I would say even more so if it's really busy. It's even worse if you wait an hour for a ride and then the experience is ruined because your pushed up against the side of the vehicle.
I get that, but they shouldnt ever let someone like this woman and her daughters board the row and cut off the line so they can be comfortable, no that's not right.

I get that, but they shouldnt ever let someone like this woman and her daughters board the row and cut off the line so they can be comfortable, no that's not right.
With bench seating I think they could be more flexible. You don't see them walking through the theater seating in shows and requiring everyone to only take up their allotted space. They could also allow more people per row if they're all small and easily make up the difference. Unless they're going to ban fat people from the ride I think they should make some common sense grouping decisions to help make everyone comfortable. Again I don't agree with this ladies response to this, but if this was described accurately it was a big customer service fail.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit

I’m not sure how Disney/Universal would handle this, but she should not have been allowed to ride again without waiting in line.
I think this could end up embarrassing people as well.

In the end, I think theme parks need to just pick a position and then make that policy. If somebody complains, the complainer can just be shown the policy.

Reactions: Scott W.
I’m not sure how Disney/Universal would handle this, but she should not have been allowed to ride again without waiting in line.

In the end, I think theme parks need to just pick a position and then make that policy. If somebody complains, the complainer can just be shown the policy.

I commend Disney and Universal for treating disabled people like everybody else. I'm not sure what Busch and SeaWorld's current policy is now but at that time, you just entered through the exit and go on and rode. Busch could have asked her to leave but she would have been back shortly after.

And that should have been the TM's response (Policy) nothing about capacity.