MoviePass | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

MoviePass

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
They make their money by selling off data about your preferences and habits to outside parties. They also get some royalties off of the concession sales.
They are also looking at funding distribution of independent films. Like the Hollywood or Broadway "producer" that wanted to just have 1 big hit to get them on easy street. Happens sometimes. Crashes many more times.

I will ride this MoviePass wave till the very end. I saw 4 movies last week with it. I signed up back in September (or was it August?) when they initially dropped the price to $10 and it's worked beautifully every time.

As someone who goes to the movies A LOT, I will never get MoviePass. They have been a really shady company recently. They are asking a percentage of concession revenue from theaters, which is why AMC has such a big issue with them. Smaller indie theaters would, I assume, be very much hurt from losing a percentage of concession sales, as we know theaters make their money from concessions. I don't know if any company deserves concession revenue besides the actual theater themselves. MoviePass is also now blocked at 10 AMC theaters that have high traffic, including the one in Times Square and Disney Springs. Even more recently, MoviePass did not let users in some markets get tickets for Red Sparrow because they had a sponsorship deal with Death Wish.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
As someone who goes to the movies A LOT, I will never get MoviePass. They have been a really shady company recently. They are asking a percentage of concession revenue from theaters, which is why AMC has such a big issue with them. Smaller indie theaters would, I assume, be very much hurt from losing a percentage of concession sales, as we know theaters make their money from concessions. I don't know if any company deserves concession revenue besides the actual theater themselves. MoviePass is also now blocked at 10 AMC theaters that have high traffic, including the one in Times Square and Disney Springs. Even more recently, MoviePass did not let users in some markets get tickets for Red Sparrow because they had a sponsorship deal with Death Wish.
Moviepass has been quoted as saying they purchase above 5% of all tickets on any given weekend and are moving towards 10% very soon. They do have the leverage if that is true.

Reactions: Coasted
Apparently it's come to the UK and is Live , yet none of the 4 cinema chains have actually signed up to it and no one in the cinema knows anything about it!

I actually really want to get this, but they were forcing anyone who wanted to pay the per-month fee to pay it as a yearly fee upfront. I’m not about that.

Reactions: Coasted
I think that is what they say is happening and it is a gamble. I think they will be dust in the wind by the end of the year.
UBER and Lyft are operating on a similar plan like Instagram, Snap and a myrid of other startups. Hoping for enough growth to support the spend before it all comes down like a house of cards.

I still wonder where they are getting the money.
A lot of tech companies / VCs operate with the idea that later growth will make up the losses. Facebook + Google are the primary examples - they own the advertising market and now make oodles of money with no end in sight.

Amazon operates at a crazy P/E ratio and doesn't really make money. Netflix is a money pit but shows incredible growth.

Don't underestimate how long tech VCs are willing to wait.

Moviepass no longer offers unlimited films for new customers. Its now 4 movies a month for 3 months for 29.99 with Iheartradio included with every purchase. Current subscribers will get to keep their one movie a day plan.

:yawn:

This is my shocked face
So you can see where this was going and I can see it was not the best of business plans but how come all those people that are supposed to be "investors" couldn't see it? Did they think they would make the loss up in volume?? Shesh, 21 million a MONTH for the last 7 months.........

AMC has announced how it'll be competing with MP

Coming Soon! AMC Stubs A-List

To be honest, with the price they are asking along with what they are offering, is actually a great deal.

Price is way below what I expected any chain to offer for that many movies.

That being said, as long as MoviePass doesn't go bankrupt, I won't be making the switch. IMAX/3D isn't a big thing for me. The real plus would be buying tickets ahead of time.

Now if Regal offers something comparable... Maybe. Regal popcorn and rewards>AMC.

Reactions: HereWeGo

That being said, as long as MoviePass doesn't go bankrupt, I won't be making the switch. IMAX/3D isn't a big thing for me. The real plus would be buying tickets ahead of time.

Now if Regal offers something comparable... Maybe. Regal popcorn and rewards>AMC.

Same here. I mean it's not a terrible deal but MoviePass still wins this for me personally. If they go under, then AMC's new package is a nice alternative.

Reactions: jtsalien

You can buy tickets ahead of time.

I’m definitely switching to this. I go to AMC 95% of the time anyways, and I can see whatever format I want now, and just for 2x the price of what I pay for Moviepass, it’s just too good a deal to not take.

You can buy tickets ahead of time.

I’m definitely switching to this. I go to AMC 95% of the time anyways, and I can see whatever format I want now, and just for 2x the price of what I pay for Moviepass, it’s just too good a deal to not take.

I meant buying ahead of time online/mobile. That can be problematic with reserved seating on something like Jurassic World opening. But not big enough of a problem for me to pay an extra $10/month.

Reactions: HereWeGo