Tipping at Universal | Inside Universal Forums

Tipping at Universal

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Ridgepole

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2018
Thought this might be interesting and hope this is the right place.
First, we tip. Having said that, where and when is confusing. Some kiosks say they can't accept. A pain as digging change out of a locker at the Hulk makes me feel stupid. I have lot's of ideas on this topic but will let others add in.
To start, being avid club level fan, what I have found is at the end of your stay, ask for an envelope from the club desk. Tip what you feel is appropriate for your stay, write room number on it and address it Club Level Staff. I was assured that the tip would be distributed to the entire staff and not just that shift.
Please add more input regarding tipping. Some venues gratuity is included some not. Big topic.

Checked it out. Good stuff. I've been scooped
Still, if anyone has particular Universal instances to add, cool. Is, I usually tip the pedi cab people $5 ?

Toot my own horn, I work for TouringPlans and we posted a great article on tipping recently.

Tipping at Walt Disney World: Everything You Need to Know In 2018 - TouringPlans.com Blog

Great article but some of the stuff in there is contrary to how things are at Universal. In particular, Universal's VIP Tour Guides can accept tips for both private tours and group tours.

It's especially worth noting that private tours at Universal include restaurant gratuities for both lunch and dinner (both of which are included in the tour), but that's only for the restaurant staff. Tour guide gratuities are not included in the price of any of the tours, but are very appreciated by Universal's VIP guides.

Last edited:
The tipping deal is very convoluted and kinda hard to grasp without actually stumbling through it once

Thought this might be interesting and hope this is the right place.
First, we tip. Having said that, where and when is confusing. Some kiosks say they can't accept. A pain as digging change out of a locker at the Hulk makes me feel stupid. I have lot's of ideas on this topic but will let others add in.
To start, being avid club level fan, what I have found is at the end of your stay, ask for an envelope from the club desk. Tip what you feel is appropriate for your stay, write room number on it and address it Club Level Staff. I was assured that the tip would be distributed to the entire staff and not just that shift.
Please add more input regarding tipping. Some venues gratuity is included some not. Big topic.
Here's my general approach to it

Sit Down/Table Service Restaurants - Yes
Stands/Food Carts (Normal day operations) - No
Stands/Food Carts (During HHN) - Yes
Stands/Food Carts (During Mardi Gras) - Yes
Starbucks - Occasionally
Quick Service Restaurants - No
Bars - Yes
Merchandise Carts - Occasionally (normally during Mardi Gras)
Gift Shops - No
End of Day package pickup - Yes, if they accept it
Hotel Housekeepers/Cleaning Crew - Yes

I think both IOA and US should have a tip drop box for TMs. Party,college etc. fund. I'm not a TM by the way.:)

Reactions: Coasted
To add to this, I was told that positive word of mouth for a staff member also helps them to get raises because after x-amount of good reviews they receive a pay bump.

I wrote myself a note to remind me to send an email after we got home about the awesome service we got at various places. One guy was a new hire at the raptor meet and greet. He did an amazing job getting both pictures and video on personal phones for people. I also observed the amazing job they did with a family that had a disabled child. The whole encounter was a treat to watch. I am horrible with names, so I literally wrote the names and places on my cellphone message app

I wrote myself a note to remind me to send an email after we got home about the awesome service we got at various places. One guy was a new hire at the raptor meet and greet. He did an amazing job getting both pictures and video on personal phones for people. I also observed the amazing job they did with a family that had a disabled child. The whole encounter was a treat to watch. I am horrible with names, so I literally wrote the names and places on my cellphone message app

Yeah, I keep a list on my cell phone and I try to include name, date, and time (assuming I remember the date/time) so that I can give credit where it is due.

Reactions: Frank Drackman