That Darn Marvel Contract – What Rights Does Universal and Disney Own | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

That Darn Marvel Contract – What Rights Does Universal and Disney Own

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
MSHI looks bad. Really bad.

Listen, I watched as a kid too. But all the cartoons of the time are pretty, pretty, pretty bad. Especially compared to the quality of the cartoons they make now.

Now that I’ve got nieces and nephews and have been subjected to kids tv again, it all looks terrible with the cheaply made computer animation.

MSHI looks like a product of the 90s and you have to wonder what the people at Marvel think about it. I’m sure a lot of people are showing up at MSHI and are disappointed with their first impression.

Now that I’ve got nieces and nephews and have been subjected to kids tv again, it all looks terrible with the cheaply made computer animation.

Spectacular Spider-Man, TMNT Nick (the computer animated one), etc are all better than their 90s counterparts.

Only superhero cartoons that hold up from then are Batman TAS and Justice League TAS

It would be interesting to see Universal lease out a character or two (for example, Black Panther) that they don't have much on at this moment so Disney can have its fun. I'm not sure how that would work money wise though - Universal would probably prefer to just build its own ride/world instead. There's not much room in IOA to really expand the MSHI, but if the fourth park ever becomes a reality, they could slap some in there, Potter style.

It would be interesting to see Universal lease out a character or two (for example, Black Panther) that they don't have much on at this moment so Disney can have its fun. I'm not sure how that would work money wise though - Universal would probably prefer to just build its own ride/world instead. There's not much room in IOA to really expand the MSHI, but if the fourth park ever becomes a reality, they could slap some in there, Potter style.

I don’t think Uni can build Marvel outside its current existing parks. (Not sure)

Reactions: SeventyOne

They can’t build outside IoA, but there is plenty of expansion possibilities in ioa, whether it be replacing Doom/Backstage or cannibalizing the Toon Lagoon theater

Whelp, that rules out the idea of the fourth park!

I'd almost say to let MSHI completely takeover Toon Lagoon, seeing as that part of the park is also quite out of date (being 23, I only recognize Popeye's characters - and that trend will continue).

They can’t build outside IoA, but there is plenty of expansion possibilities in ioa, whether it be replacing Doom/Backstage or cannibalizing the Toon Lagoon theater

I did take a peek at the map, and if they tore out the theater and/or some other backstage space, they could realistically get another plot of land around the size of Spidey. Depending on what would go in there, that amount of space could work well (i.e., the Iron Legion rumors), especially if they build it up to two stories.

Reactions: natespf

MSHI looks like a product of the 90s and you have to wonder what the people at Marvel think about it. I’m sure a lot of people are showing up at MSHI and are disappointed with their first impression.

From what I've overheard (when he was actually there at IOA), Stan Lee prefers the style to MCU.

Reactions: Paulio and Mad Dog
I mean, to each their own, but giant cardboard cutouts just don't scream "theming" to me.

It represents the comic-book style, especially that Marvel characters DID start their popularities as comic book stories dating back in the 1930s, not movies. I like MSHI because it feels so edgy and hardcore in comparison to MCU which is watered down and feels a bit more like family-friendly.

It represents the comic-book style.

Sure. Doesn't mean there's not a far superior way of representing the comic-book style that also makes an immersive, high-quality theme park land that the current one just isn't.

I like MSHI because it feels so edgy and hardcore in comparison to MCU which is watered down and feels a bit more like family-friendly.

I don't see anything edgy about MSHI, but to each their own.

From what I've overheard (when he was actually there at IOA), Stan Lee prefers the style to MCU.

I could see that. He looks like he had a great day out.

maxresdefault.jpg

I mean, to each their own, but giant cardboard cutouts just don't scream "theming" to me.

I don't think it says theming either. It's like comparing RnRC to Gringotts. Theming has moved on a lot since the 90s.

Sure. Doesn't mean there's not a far superior way of representing the comic-book style that also makes an immersive, high-quality theme park land that the current one just isn't.

Sure, but Stan Lee wants it that way as some sort of history since Marvel characters did start out as comic book characters.

I don't see anything edgy about MSHI, but to each their own.

Well obviously, Marvel characters in general are seen as edgy and different than those like Flintstones and Alvin and the Chipmunks. They have the attitude and they have the style from past cartoons. That's why a lot of Marvel fans decried Disney when it first bought Marvel Entertainment because they feel Disney would water down their characters into something family-friendly. Whether it's true or not, that outcry speaks a lot of what the general public thinks about Marvel characters. MSHI is just a reflection of the 1990s era inspired by comics and 1990s cartoons.

Last edited:
Sure, but Stan Lee wants it that way as some sort of history since Marvel characters did start out as comic book characters.

Okay, but again, I’m not saying they have to get rid of a comics aesthetic. I’m saying they should get rid of he crappy aesthetic they have now

MSHI is just a reflection of the 1990s era inspired by comics and 1990s cartoons.

Yea I know. It’s just a super crappy era that makes for a hideously ugly land

Reactions: LJGonz
Drew and I were talking today about how a good part of Islands being mostly dated; specifically Marvel, TL, and to a certain extent... Jurassic Park.
I wouldn’t even say “to a certain extent”

JP feels ridiculously dated to me. I say that as a massive fan of the movie. Discovery Center is a joke and all of the tacky kiosks give it a early-2000s vibe.

I wouldn’t even say “to a certain extent”

JP feels ridiculously dated to me. I say that as a massive fan of the movie. Discovery Center is a joke and all of the tacky kiosks give it a early-2000s vibe.

I still stand by certain extent. :lol:

The trees, the ride, Camp Jurassic... all fine.

Discovery Center, some of the restaurant signage..... could use a spruce up.

I'd prob ditch the rock wall, too.

I still stand by certain extent. :lol:

The trees, the ride, Camp Jurassic... all fine.

Discovery Center, some of the restaurant signage..... could use a spruce up.

I'd prob ditch the rock wall, too.
That seems reasonable. I’d be fine with the rock wall if it seemed more permanent. It struck me as something that was set up for a one-week-only carnival.

If Universal figured out something better to do with Discovery Center, I think JP could be one of the best lands at UOR. There’s just too much dead space right now.

I think all of these lands are fine. I think the intent is to submerge you into the stories so you feel like your actually in the books/comics. I think they achieve that just fine. Even if nothing in Toon Lagoon is relevant in 2018 and MSHI is 90s based (personally as a 90s kid I still love it)

I think we just got spoiled with Harry Potter and what they can do with theming . LC was built at the same time as everything else and it’s theming is right up there with Potter