Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Little Known Hotel Perks

Thought I would add a few more. At Royal Pacific they give out little containers of sunscreen at the pool. We always stash a few for use at VB in the parks, etc. Just a little thing but one less thing to pack. Also, towels and chair covers from the pool we have asked and been able to bring to Volcano Bay. Room towels are smaller. Volcano bay charges like $5 each to rent.
If you are at Royal Pacific and want to make a reservation at the Palm at HRH or a fine dining place at Portifino, you get free limo service. I would assume it works at all the onsite properties but can't say for sure. Go through the concierge. Kind of a neat treat.

Some nice little tips! :cheers:

This is probably the right thread for this while I'm here. Do Universal offer late admission to the parks while staying on site, whether this is something that's coming or used to be a thing?

Some nice little tips! :cheers:

This is probably the right thread for this while I'm here. Do Universal offer late admission to the parks while staying on site, whether this is something that's coming or used to be a thing?
I've not seen special late admission since I've been staying on site. Just the early admission gig.

No price break to my knowledge. I will say that the day you arrive, even though check in is "4:00 pm", you can check in as early as you want, ie., 6:00am, get your room key (express pass) change into your park attire, check your bags at the baggage desk and go rage in the parks. Hotel will text you when your room is available. Which may be early or not.
To add, in addition to the restrooms near the front entrance at Royal Pacific, there is a unisex restroom adjacent that has a lockable door and an infant changing table so you can dig into your bags to get your park gear on in privacy. Just saying.

Last edited:
No price break to my knowledge. I will say that the day you arrive, even though check in is "4:00 pm", you can check in as early as you want, ie., 6:00am, get your room key (express pass) change into your park attire, check your bags at the baggage desk and go rage in the parks. Hotel will text you when your room is available. Which may be early or not.
Exactly.:thumbsup:

I've found where I read about late admission to the parks.

Just found out about priority seating at select restaurants when staying at the premier hotels. With the potential money on savings flying with BA and a connecting flight, I think staying at RP is a solid booking if I decide to also do Disney.

I've found where I read about late admission to the parks.

Just found out about priority seating at select restaurants when staying at the premier hotels. With the potential money on savings flying with BA and a connecting flight, I think staying at RP is a solid booking if I decide to also do Disney.

I think their phrasing of the after hours, since they were referring to both Disney & Universal, was a bit awkward and thus misleading. I'd stand by Universal hotels not having late night special hours....Yes, the Priority seating is nice. I've used it a number of times, though I've gotten some pretty dirty looks from people that were waiting in line for a seat that I was bumped in front of them.....And you'll love Express passes if you book RP. Once you have Hotel Express, you can never go back.

I've not seen special late admission since I've been staying on site. Just the early admission gig.

Nor me (though only stayed twice, Feb and early Apr);

US guests - Late access would be good benefit for US as EPA isn’t ideal if you on holiday / want lie-in

UK guests - We wake at 2am (time difference) so EPA is great!

I think their phrasing of the after hours, since they were referring to both Disney & Universal, was a bit awkward and thus misleading. I'd stand by Universal hotels not having late night special hours....Yes, the Priority seating is nice. I've used it a number of times, though I've gotten some pretty dirty looks from people that were waiting in line for a seat that I was bumped in front of them.....And you'll love Express passes if you book RP. Once you have Hotel Express, you can never go back.

Slightly misleading. I was hoping for some late nights in the park this year and thought with all the new hotel rooms this happening. It could very well be a possibility in the future though.

I blame you primarily for this trend I’m developing of staying on site. My wife and I love you for it, my wallet not so much.

How does it work with the priority seating? Just show your room key?

Slightly misleading. I was hoping for some late nights in the park this year and thought with all the new hotel rooms this happening. It could very well be a possibility in the future though.

I blame you primarily for this trend I’m developing of staying on site. My wife and I love you for it, my wallet not so much.

Yes, I remember talking you into CBBR...But that did make for a happy, not very expensive, stay.CBBR is great for the price. ...Deluxe Hotel Express makes it even better. But the key to Universal deluxes is to go, like you do, in the off season. Unlike Disney hotels, Universal deluxes have significantly cheaper rates during value season. And then there's always the stay longer discounts added to that. That said, I wouldn't get a Universal deluxe during the peak seasons. Too expensive for me..... Yes, just call ahead or show them your hotel card and "ask" for the Priority seating. There's always the occasional employee that doesn't know about it. And I think there might be a couple of restaurants that don't offer it, but I haven't run into one myself.....The other thing you will love about Royal Pacific is that it's only a quick 5 minute walk to the IOA gate. Or take the water taxi, which is like an attraction itself....It will be interesting what replaces Tchoup Tchoup, since that was an excellent restaurant with a great cheap price on small plate type appetizers Happy Hour......and now that they've added the Potter rides onto Hotel Express, you really don't even need the early park hours for IOA/Studios if you want to sleep in. Of course, with VB crowding, early hours are a must.

Last edited:

If you have not stayed at RPR do it! My friends from Scotland used to do Portofino then they tried RPR a couple of trips ago. They will not stay anywhere else it is so laid back and comfortable.

And you know everyone from Scotland is the same right?;):lmao:

If you have not stayed at RPR do it! My friends from Scotland used to do Portofino then they tried RPR a couple of trips ago. They will not stay anywhere else it is so laid back and comfortable.

That's funny.:lol:...Myself I prefer Portofino,but I think that Royal Pacific is better for young adults or a family with children. RP is more lively than Portofino. Portofino is more adult oriented and you don't see many children there. Portofino is probably too quiet and sedate for kids.

Last edited:

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes, I remember talking you into CBBR...But that did make for a happy, not very expensive, stay.CBBR is great for the price. ...Deluxe Hotel Express makes it even better. But the key to Universal deluxes is to go, like you do, in the off season. Unlike Disney hotels, Universal deluxes have significantly cheaper rates during value season. And then there's always the stay longer discounts added to that. That said, I wouldn't get a Universal deluxe during the peak seasons. Too expensive for me..... Yes, just show them your hotel card and "ask" for the Priority seating. There's always the occasional employee that doesn't know about it. And I think there might be a couple of restaurants that don't offer it, but I haven't run into one myself.....The other thing you will love about Royal Pacific is that it's only a quick 5 minute walk to the IOA gate. Or take the water taxi, which is like an attraction itself....It will be interesting what replaces Tchoup Tchoup, since that was an excellent restaurant with a great cheap price on small plate type appetizers Happy Hour......and now that they've added the Potter rides onto Hotel Express, you really don't even need the early park hours for IOA/Studios if you want to sleep in. Of course, with VB crowding, early hours are a must.

Disney might still work out as a bargain depending on the parking situation. It's really coming down to what resort do I do first? Disney or Universal. If I do 16 nights at Universal, I don't think I can justify staying at RP for the price but 8 nights is more reasonable and I get more bang for my buck.

Scotland is a funny place. Half the country hates the other half for many reasons but the second anybody steps outside the country, we're all best pals.

That's funny.:lol:...Myself I prefer Portofino,but I think that Royal Pacific is better for young adults or a family with children. RP is more lively than Portofino. Portofino is more adult oriented and you don't see many children there. Portofino is probably too quiet and sedate for kids.

No kids sounds like a huge plus to me.

Disney might still work out as a bargain depending on the parking situation. It's really coming down to what resort do I do first? Disney or Universal. If I do 16 nights at Universal, I don't think I can justify staying at RP for the price but 8 nights is more reasonable and I get more bang for my buck.

Scotland is a funny place. Half the country hates the other half for many reasons but the second anybody steps outside the country, we're all best pals.

No kids sounds like a huge plus to me.

It is a big plus. And with few kids, the pools, which I think are the very best at Universal, since they are so diverse & beautiful, don't get crowded. From the times I visited it seems the main clientele of Portofino is South Americans & Europeans. I run into more of them then Americans....That said, from what I've heard from you, I would think you'd prefer Royal Pacific since it's more oriented towards younger couples. Portofino is kind of like The Grand Floridian whereas Royal Pacific is very similar to The Polynesian......A nice plus at Royal Pacific is the huge atrium like area, with fountains and Asian statuary, in the Great Lobby. There's a small breakfast bar adjacent, and we usually buy a couple of croissants and coffee, and take them into the atrium area. There's nice small tables and chairs, and it all creates a really nice ambiance to start the day. I highly recommend taking advantage of that. Women can't resist the allure of that experience.....On your other point, consider splitting hotels to save money. Do 9 days of the vacation at Adventura or CBBR and the other seven at Royal Pacific. And go to Disney for most of the Adventura/CBBR days, that way you don't waste the Express pass benefits of RP. If you do 7 days at RP, you'll still get the maximum stay more save more price cut. ...Whenever I do the long vacations, since they opened the new hotels, I usually split the vacation between two hotels to save some money, plus it broadens the experience. That's kind of what I did last year when Disney had the 4 day park special. Four of the days I was at Sapphire I drove to WDW. All the days at Portofino, I did Universal parks. Optimized my Express pass benefit.....This year we have shorter vacations then in the past so I'm just doing one hotel, Portofino for both trips.

Last edited:
Never saw kids when I have stayed at RPR, just lazy around the pool with the great Beulah Bar, the orchid court in the morning and sushi in the evening with Jakes to spend a couple of hours. That open space in the middle of the lobby with all the orchids and overstuffed furniture really sets the mood.
I felt RPR was lower key than Portofino (price point did not hurt either)

What I great thread! Just seeing it for the first time, and wished I had know about hotel priority restaurant access before. It works at most restaurants, both in the park and at Citywalk? Does that include Toothsome?

I was there during a period where they used to do the Wok Experience at RPR. Loved that. While I haven't stayed at Portofino (my husband has, and he said it was nice, but it wasn't his favorite), we have stayed at HRH and RPR, and I think RPR is our favorite. Also love the vibe for Cabana Bay, but we really want the Express Passes included, so we've yet to stay there. :/

What I great thread! Just seeing it for the first time, and wished I had know about hotel priority restaurant access before. It works at most restaurants, both in the park and at Citywalk? Does that include Toothsome?

I was there during a period where they used to do the Wok Experience at RPR. Loved that. While I haven't stayed at Portofino (my husband has, and he said it was nice, but it wasn't his favorite), we have stayed at HRH and RPR, and I think RPR is our favorite. Also love the vibe for Cabana Bay, but we really want the Express Passes included, so we've yet to stay there. :/
Not Toothsome for Priority seating. I tried that last year, unless they've changed. That only works at some of the restaurants that participate. I've used it at Margarittaville, Pat O'Briens & Marleys.

Last edited:
Also RPR relatively closer to VB for extra few mins in bed before EPA. Bus First picks up RPR then SF. RPR short walk to SF pool and (is it called Strong Water Tavern at SF) - I remember someone (maybe @Mad Dog or @UK-Trigg saying how good that Strong Water Tavern / veranda? was)

Portofino harbour area looks stunning but are some rooms far from the boat dock?

Last edited: