Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 489 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
SNW or Pokémon should be first. Zelda needs to be lead in. Pokémon would draw a ton of people if SNW is delayed.

Reactions: jrn14
Million dollar theme park additions are usually pretty well thought out.

Okay, let me expand:

Zelda will still increase attendance at IoA, no matter when it happens, before or after Mario. New attractions (almost) always increase attendance. The Legend of Zelda is an iconic name that people will show up for. Coming before or after Mario doesn't affect the number of people who will go to IoA for it.

If it happens before Mario, Nintendo/Zelda fans will show up as well as guests just looking for new stuff to do, and then when the larger Mario crowds come to Orlando they'll say, "Oh the other park has Zelda, let's see that one too!"

If it happens after Mario, it means that only second part of the paragraph above will happen. Either way people are coming to see Zelda. Its placement in the timeline is irrelevant.

I see Zelda selling the least amount of Nintendo merch compared to other properties.

This is exactly correct. It will sell less. It's also irrelevant to the conversation.

When Zelda is built will not affect its impact. Its impact will be the same if it comes before or after Mario.

Okay, let me expand:

Zelda will still increase attendance at IoA, no matter when it happens, before or after Mario. New attractions (almost) always increase attendance. The Legend of Zelda is an iconic name that people will show up for. Coming before or after Mario doesn't affect the number of people who will go to IoA for it.

If it happens before Mario, Nintendo/Zelda fans will show up as well as guests just looking for new stuff to do, and then when the larger Mario crowds come to Orlando they'll say, "Oh the other park has Zelda, let's see that one too!"

If it happens after Mario, it means that only second part of the paragraph above will happen. Either way people are coming to see Zelda. Its placement in the timeline is irrelevant.

This is exactly correct. It will sell less. It's also irrelevant to the conversation.

When Zelda is built will not affect its impact. Its impact will be the same if it comes before or after Mario.

I'd say merch sales are extremely relevant to the situation. There would be no Diagon if merchandise hadn't taken off.

Opening with a "lesser than" IP is not the smartest idea for return investment. It could also give a false value or indication to what the Nintendo IP is really worth if it underperforms. It's just a bad idea in general. Pokémon is a much stronger IP to open with, if Mario isn't an option. It attracts kids of ALL ages, and sells a ton of merch in the process.

Not dogging Zelda, because I love it, but I 'm just thinking on pure return profit scenario.

I'd say merch sales are extremely relevant to the situation. There would be no Diagon if merchandise hadn't taken off.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Potter is one interconnected Universe. Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon are not.

Opening with a "lesser than" IP is not the smartest idea for return investment. It could also give a false value or indication to what the Nintendo IP is really worth if it underperforms. It's just a bad idea in general. Pokémon is a much stronger IP to open with, if Mario isn't an option. It attracts kids of ALL ages, and sells a ton of merch in the process.

Come on. Really think about this. Universal isn't gonna up and go, "We totally shouldn't build Mario because Zelda only gave us a 8-10% attendance boost."

If they're going to build Zelda, they're going to build Mario. And if they're going to build Zelda, it's placement in the timeline is completely irrelevant. It will still move merch. It will still bring people in. Not in the same way Mario or Pokémon would, but to act like it'd be some flop is crazy, and opening it before or after Mario won't affect how much merch it sells. It's still a huge entertainment brand people will come to see.

Universal knows every project isn't going to be Potter or Mario. That's impossible. They know what they're doing (generally)

You're comparing apples and oranges. Potter is one interconnected Universe. Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon are not.

Come on. Really think about this. Universal isn't gonna up and go, "We totally shouldn't build Mario because Zelda only gave us a 8-10% attendance boost."

If they're going to build Zelda, they're going to build Mario. And if they're going to build Zelda, it's placement in the timeline is completely irrelevant. It will still move merch. It will still bring people in. Not in the same way Mario or Pokémon would, but to act like it'd be some flop is crazy, and opening it before or after Mario won't affect how much merch it sells. It's still a huge entertainment brand people will come to see.

Universal knows every project isn't going to be Potter or Mario. That's impossible. They know what they're doing (generally)

You have valid points, I still think it's a bad idea in general. However, if they really are saving Mario for park 3, maybe it's their only real option.

I just think Pokémon would be a better "first" choice, and could be relatively quick to construct. Compared to Zelda.

I think you're overthinking things, personally.
No worries, we can agree to disagree. I just think people would be really surprised if Universal came out and said “ Get ready to see your favorite Nintendo characters and worlds at Universal Orlando! Coming soon... The Legend of Zelda!!” Even the Zelda fans would be surprised that Mario wasn’t coming first (disclaimer: I’m a big fan of both Zelda and Mario). Either way, I guess we’ll have our answer soon... or, you know, eventually.

I would hope neither would be "quick". Both need to be given the proper love

Are we expecting a E ticket Pokémon ride? I was under the impression it would just be a new play area with a giant store to hold all that merch, and maybe a flat ride. Maybe A "Trading Post" of some sort?

I expected most of the Pokémon stuff to be lower on the budget scale. A Pokémon "snap" ride would be fun though.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Are we expecting a E ticket Pokémon ride? I was under the impression it would just be a new play area with a giant store to hold all that merch, and maybe a flat ride. Maybe A "Trading Post" of some sort?

I expected most of the Pokémon stuff to be lower on the budget scale. A Pokémon "snap" ride would be fun though.
No way they waste Pokémon on just merch and flats. Would be a huge misstep.

Reactions: Mike S
No worries, we can agree to disagree. I just think people would be really surprised if Universal came out and said “ Get ready to see your favorite Nintendo characters and worlds at Universal Orlando! Coming soon... The Legend of Zelda!!” Even the Zelda fans would be surprised that Mario wasn’t coming first (disclaimer: I’m a big fan of both Zelda and Mario). Either way, I guess we’ll have our answer soon... or, you know, eventually.

I think it certainly would surprise people, but I don't think there'd be negative consequences for it.

I'll tell you right now, if that's all they built for Pokémon people would be pissed.

Times like this I would love to see disney drop one more bomb out of nowhere and force something out of their ass.