The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW) | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
All mentions of the Space Restaurant disappeared about the same time the Theater disappeared. If it's still on, they're not promoting it anymore internally or externally. It had been posted along with all the other stuff that had been announced at D23 but all mentions are gone now as far as I have seen.

All mentions of the Space Restaurant disappeared about the same time the Theater disappeared. If it's still on, they're not promoting it anymore internally or externally. It had been posted along with all the other stuff that had been announced at D23 but all mentions are gone now as far as I have seen.
It has not been cancelled as of now.

I could see Disney dropping the theater for the monorail, but a potential popular money making restaurant?!
Exactly.

It would make no sense, especially because they are using part of an existing structure (old HP lounge) for the entrance of the restaurant. This isn't something that is gonna be too costly, it's also a great use of space and it would make back it's money incredibly quick. Disney doesn't pass up on money makers.

Reactions: tankart150
Only way Disney drops a potential lucrative establishment is if they have the research to say that Epcot has too many restaurants.

Back to monorails, do the new bombardier trains have screens on the trains? I could see Disney wanting to add them for advertisement. Going to MK you advertise rides, going to back to TTC you advertise the other parks + Disney Springs. Same with Epcot.

Supposedly a large part of the concept was getting to test the space window tech before building Star Wars hotel. They wait any longer they’ll just be building Star Wars anyway so why not skip this. Unless they really want to get extra mileage out of their tech.

I’m still waiting for the seamless China 360 show too, while we’re discussing D23 projects that haven’t started yet.
I believe the "testing" was speculation. I just think the want to utilize the tech in general guest areas also.

Reactions: Alicia
It is worth mentioning that @Marni1971 this is a project he wouldn't be surprised if it does get the axe. He mentioned he's surprised that construction hasn't started on it yet and that if it doesn't within the next few months that it probably isn't happening.
No, I’m surprised nothing has happened yet but I’ve not heard a cancellation.

You know the whole MK theater and Epcot restaurant thing actually makes a little sense. From a budget standpoint MK, Epcot and the hotels all have to pay for the monorail service from their budgets. So it would seem to be consistent for the money to come from money that was allocated to improvements in those parks.

You know the whole MK theater and Epcot restaurant thing actually makes a little sense. From a budget standpoint MK, Epcot and the hotels all have to pay for the monorail service from their budgets. So it would seem to be consistent for the money to come from money that was allocated to improvements in those parks.

It makes sense, but the restaurant makes money in return unlike the theater.

It makes sense, but the restaurant makes money in return unlike the theater.
They both make money, just in different ways. Attractions help sustain and increase attendance and in turn drive ticket sales. They wouldn't be spending money on either if they didn't make money.

Reactions: nickwilde
They both make money, just in different ways. Attractions help sustain and increase attendance and in turn drive ticket sales. They wouldn't be spending money on either if they didn't make money.

The restaurant will sell most likely at a premium price, while the theater wouldn't really sell vacations by itself nor will the popcorn stand outside would have made sold nothing as much as a restaurant.

The restaurant will sell most likely at a premium price, while the theater wouldn't really sell vacations by itself nor will the popcorn stand outside would have made sold nothing as much as a restaurant.
Agreed, as much as I enjoyed the Frozen show in DCA it was not the main reason I went there and not on the top of my must do list for the park. I think a theater like that in MK would be great, but its not needed to drive attendance. Once I saw how they queued us up for that show, I was trying to picture where the crowd would line up for the MK venue. I don't think they had that queue space in the plans and I could see it being a major mess on Main Street unless they were going to use the bypass corridor

MK has passed the 20million attendance mark. It desperately needs places to pack away the hordes and keep them happy when every good ride from their childhood has a 2 hour wait. It also needs to decongest Main St and adding a plaza with an attraction that funnels people towards a better themed bypass will help.

When it comes down to it, the company is making enough in profits to build the theater, the restaurant, buy new monorails and so much more. The bean counters that control the purse strings don't see it that way though...

It will be interesting to see if all this development leads to the boosts that they want.

It will be interesting to see if all this development leads to the boosts that they want.
Well new monorails won't boost anything unless they significantly raise rates on the monorail loop because of the "new and improved monorail". That's why they haven't done it though - it provides little ROI.

However, some things you can't avoid spending the money on. You can't keep running monorail trains from the late 80's and early 90's in 2018 with high daily guest usage and not expect to have issues.

Well new monorails won't boost anything unless they significantly raise rates on the monorail loop because of the "new and improved monorail". That's why they haven't done it though - it provides little ROI.

However, some things you can't avoid spending the money on. You can't keep running monorail trains from the late 80's and early 90's in 2018 with high daily guest usage and not expect to have issues.

You can take this a step further. When all the new additions are complete, the daily usage on the monorails are going to be at the highest ever. If they break then, it’s going to be a biblical disaster at the resort with so many people.

The new additions have forced their hand and the possible bad PR is worth the money to avoid it.

Reactions: Nick