The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 971 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The 4K looks amazing. The color and crispness of the video is incredible. But clearly the new ride films were originally designed for 3D and include a few cheap 3D tricks moments like the dragon staring at us for 8 seconds and the snitch right in my face, which really doesn’t work without 3D. Just looks like a 10 foot tall snitch up in my face, blocking the action. Other than those two nitpicks everything else was working absolutely perfectly today. Even the Willow was Womping!

The 4K looks amazing. The color and crispness of the video is incredible. But clearly the new ride films were originally designed for 3D and include a few cheap 3D tricks moments like the dragon staring at us for 8 seconds and the snitch right in my face, which really doesn’t work without 3D. Just looks like a 10 foot tall snitch up in my face, blocking the action. Other than those two nitpicks everything else was working absolutely perfectly today. Even the Willow was Womping!
The snitch felt ok, but that new dragon CGI is...just...:lmao:

So, what has changed with the film? They added some CGI top of the old film?

Does anyone know the resolution of the original film? I was surprised when I rode in the first year how low res it seemed. It had to be filmed in 1080p, which is 2k, which is what Theaters projected until just the last few years. And only in the last few years has 4K become common for filming movies.

A 2k film should look better than a dome FJ does, IMHO. I've heard they cleaned it up some. It always seemed blurry, maybe related to the conversion to an image for dome projection.

With it now being clear the Millennium Falcon ride is basically the dome portions, in very high def, I could see Universal biting the bullet, and redoing the film, using faces from the original, and everything else being 4K. It should really lower motion sickness too.

Is it known what the original was., and what it is now? I assume they've upconverted to a 4K 60fps film with the newest upgrade and projectors, but still based on what I assume was a 2k 30fps film to begin with?

FJ is in danger of looking like a relic next to FoP and the MF ride.

FJ is in danger of looking like a relic next to FoP and the MF ride.
FoP better than FJ? Loooool, no. FoP is much worse due to how little you actually move + the soarin edge seat problem. Also I’ve actually been thinking FoPs film looks kinda blurry, maybe just me.

Now the MF ride? Maybe. I honestly know very little about it.

Reactions: JoeCamel
FJ is definitely not blurry anymore. It’s crisp and has better color depth too.

I just wish they didn’t leave in the leftover 3D gag moments. They linger too long on screen, killing the ride’s action momentum.

I kinda like that a dementor chases Harry through the quidditch pitch now though. That’s exciting.

I just wish they didn’t leave in the leftover 3D gag moments. They linger too long on screen, killing the ride’s action momentum.

I kinda like that a dementor chases Harry through the quidditch pitch now though. That’s exciting.
The blurriness is the only issue I ever had with this attraction. To me, FJ is the perfect combination of screens, sets, music and ride vehicle. And, I always feel like I'm really flying. Number one attraction anywhere in my book.

Yeah, some of the added CGI is great, like the cold breath and the added dementor effects. Others...not so much (looking at you, ya early Pixar lookin dragon).

I just wish they fixed which way you turn at the end to go into the great hall, am I the only one bothered that the screen turns left and you turn right?

Reactions: LJGonz
I just wish they fixed which way you turn at the end to go into the great hall, am I the only one bothered that the screen turns left and you turn right?
The image on screen is turning to accentuate the move you're making. It's no different than the scrunching effect seen on Spider-Man or Kong, that rotates the view based on your movement. It's a little rushed, but it's turning your view the correct way, as if you were heading to the right.

If you look to your right, turning your head right, the stuff in your peripheral on your left appears to move further left. That's the concept here.

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
The image on screen is turning to accentuate the move you're making. It's no different than the scrunching effect seen on Spider-Man or Kong, that rotates the view based on your movement. It's a little rushed, but it's turning your view the correct way, as if you were heading to the right.

If you look to your right, turning your head right, the stuff in your peripheral on your left appears to move further left. That's the concept here.
I know when i think it out it makes sense, but during the actual ride it always feels so weird to me. I wish I could experience it both ways so I'd really understand.

I know when i think it out it makes sense, but during the actual ride it always feels so weird to me. I wish I could experience it both ways so I'd really understand.
It just happens far too quickly to make sense to my brain. We go across the water up and into the castle while physically moving to the right and it feels wrong. I get ya.

FoP better than FJ? Loooool, no. FoP is much worse due to how little you actually move + the soarin edge seat problem. Also I’ve actually been thinking FoPs film looks kinda blurry, maybe just me.

Now the MF ride? Maybe. I honestly know very little about it.

Just talking video quality here. I haven't ridden FoP, but I see no way I get off of it thinking it's the best ride anywhere. It's Soarin 3.0, plain and simple. Reading the "Universal is all screens " people say they wept when they first rode it makes me dislike it already.

But FJ needs better video quality. It sounds like they did do some, but it needs a full 4K 60fps native film. It could be done. The face character really aren't on screen much, and we're talking like 90 seconds of video.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit

When was this latest upgrade done? I last rode in October. It looked better, but it REALLY needs 60 fps native film to get rid of stuttering in the action. And the whole thing was still too dark. Better, but still dark.

I don't recall any changes to the film, so I assume it was before the change.

When was this latest upgrade done? I last rode in October. It looked better, but it REALLY needs 60 fps native film to get rid of stuttering in the action. And the whole thing was still too dark. Better, but still dark.

I don't recall any changes to the film, so I assume it was before the change.
The last upgrade was done a month ago. I went on it recently and the improvement is huge. The only parts of the film that really aren't great anymore are the dragon. Otherwise, it's completely fine.

Just talking video quality here. I haven't ridden FoP, but I see no way I get off of it thinking it's the best ride anywhere. It's Soarin 3.0, plain and simple. Reading the "Universal is all screens " people say they wept when they first rode it makes me dislike it already.

But FJ needs better video quality. It sounds like they did do some, but it needs a full 4K 60fps native film. It could be done. The face character really aren't on screen much, and we're talking like 90 seconds of video.
The obvious difference is that FoP is the only screen ride at Animal Kingdom. It’s not a problem there like it is at Universal. The immersion is far above Soarin’ as well. I’d compare it more to BTTF or Simpsons on a bike taken to a new level. You’ve said it yourself that you haven’t ridden so maybe you should. You probably won’t cry just like I didn’t but you may come off believing it to be the best simulator around which I believe it is.

The obvious difference is that FoP is the only screen ride at Animal Kingdom. It’s not a problem there like it is at Universal. The immersion is far above Soarin’ as well. I’d compare it more to BTTF or Simpsons on a bike taken to a new level. You’ve said it yourself that you haven’t ridden so maybe you should. You probably won’t cry just like I didn’t but you may come off believing it to be the best simulator around which I believe it is.
Having ridden for the first time two days ago I agree with you. It is a solid ride, best simulator I have done but not the greatest thing ever. Rode twice and have no desire to do it again. I guess I have done too many simulators and see all the tricks they use to fool your brain to think it is flying. I am going to make time to get in a Uni trip in the next month, couple of days at F&G cot then head over to IOA to see how the changes look. Will have the after 4 express so I hope it is good for FJ.
I just feel more at home at UoR, the amount of planning for one day at AK was too much. Glad I only have two more days to burn before June

Having ridden for the first time two days ago I agree with you. It is a solid ride, best simulator I have done but not the greatest thing ever. Rode twice and have no desire to do it again. I guess I have done too many simulators and see all the tricks they use to fool your brain to think it is flying. I am going to make time to get in a Uni trip in the next month, couple of days at F&G cot then head over to IOA to see how the changes look. Will have the after 4 express so I hope it is good for FJ.
I just feel more at home at UoR, the amount of planning for one day at AK was too much. Glad I only have two more days to burn before June
Where we differ is that no matter how many times I ride it I always love it. It’s just done so well.

Reactions: Jones14