Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 328 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The main difference between the TV situation and the theme park rights is that there's only really 1 bidder for the theme park rights, whereas almost every TV studio tried to grab the LOTR rights.

And it really helps that Universal has the Harry Potter arrangement with Warner. Warner was involved with the Amazon-LOTR TV deal so that aspects from the movies can be used in the TV show.

I think there's already some kind of arrangement in place between Universal/Tolkien/Warner, it's just not going to be announced until they're ready.

I think there's already some kind of arrangement in place between Universal/Tolkien/Warner, it's just not going to be announced until they're ready.

There could be a handshake deal in place to justify UC spending money and time designing things then a deal soon after. I imagine WB would want to announce this as soon as possible to prop up their financials (see Nintendo and Sony/Avatar announcements).

I get the impression that Universal legal employ both King Kong and Dracula. This way they can crush the life out of you and suck you dry at the same time. I don't think anyone really in the know on this is going to admit it. However, it is much easier to say when something is not going to happen. No one has said it's not going to happen.

All parties involved have had plenty of time to work on this. If a deal was going to happen I'm inclined to think it is already happened. I think all parties involved want this to happen.

I wonder if anyone involved in The Lord of the Rings movies is currently doing work for Universal creative? I seem to remember that Harry Potter movie staff would show they are working on projects on LinkedIn that revealed a great deal.

I get the impression that Universal legal employ both King Kong and Dracula. This way they can crush the life out of you and suck you dry at the same time. I don't think anyone really in the know on this is going to admit it. However, it is much easier to say when something is not going to happen. No one has said it's not going to happen.

All parties involved have had plenty of time to work on this. If a deal was going to happen I'm inclined to think it is already happened. I think all parties involved want this to happen.

I wonder if anyone involved in The Lord of the Rings movies is currently doing work for Universal creative? I seem to remember that Harry Potter movie staff would show they are working on projects on LinkedIn that revealed a great deal.
I think you nailed it. :thumbsup::lol: Great post, and civil too. :)

There could be a handshake deal in place to justify UC spending money and time designing things then a deal soon after. I imagine WB would want to announce this as soon as possible to prop up their financials (see Nintendo and Sony/Avatar announcements).
Yeah, I think the one thing helping the secrecy of this deal is that Time Warner is currently caught up in the merger situation with AT&T. That's propping up its stock price (because AT&T is offering over $100 per share whenever the merger will go through).

If the AT&T merger is legally prevented by the judge over the next few weeks, then Warner will probably want to announce the LOTR theme park deal and other stuff they have going on to reassure shareholders that the stock shouldn't tank as a result of losing the AT&T merger.

Time Warner's stock would fall $10-15 per share if the merger is cancelled.

Yeah, based on what's going on with the Tolkien Estate (JRR's son stepping away from leading it), it sounds like the younger heirs really want to get around to monetizing the LOTR rights before JRR's earliest works pass into public domain over the next 30 years.

The 2 main sources of money left in LOTR are the TV rights and the theme park rights. They won't leave the theme park stone unturned. No way the heirs turn away millions of dollars in theme park rights.

If any of the Universal Monsters get a castle/ride, it's Frankenstein. He's Universal's Mickey Mouse.

A hub and spoke Castle Park with Victor Frankenstien's Castle in the hub is a Universal fanboi's wet dream.

How about a hub and spoke park with the center of the hub being a nice Universal Globe fountain with no central Icon, but castles and mountains on the perimeter of the park that can be seen the from the hub? Sort of like if one of the transitions from the hub is the Hogsmeade arch from the LC with Hogwarts off in the distance.

Here’s what I want. It’s a hub and spoke, where the spokes are rivers flowing from five valleys and hub is a massive waterfall/lake. Moored in the lake, in front of the waterfall is a vessel that’s part catamaran/part cutter, the Mistico. The nighttime show uses the waterfall and the sails for projection mapping, with fireworks and fountains supporting it.

Each valley features multiple IPs, broken up with tributaries from the river. Water plays heavily into the structure/aesthetic of the park, with lots of trees and nature around the hub to contrast heavily with the smaller, heavily themed areas.

Entrance - Fort Wonder - It’s a pioneer outpost, with a feel that mixes Port of Entry and Tom Sawyer’s Island. The shops/restaurants have a rustic, Frontierland feel.

Valley of Fantasy - Anchored by Far Far Away (Shrek), this valley features IPs that focus heavily on the imaginative.

River Play - The river’s source is the Mushroom Kingdom, surrounded by DK’s jungle and Yoshi’s Island. Smaller outposts features similar light-hearted, interactive fare.

Adventure Canyon - You want weenies? Here’re your weenies. Berk, Classic Monsters, and the LotR expansion goes here.

Joy Fields - This is, ostensibly, the kiddy area. Hello Kitty and Middle Kingdom (Kung Fu Panda) will go here.

Sci-Fi City - Yeah, I’m doing it. Star Trek, Battlestar, and others go here.

Attachments

• D18F74C8-D7AE-4FFD-BE2A-BBBA5CBC87F0.jpeg
    D18F74C8-D7AE-4FFD-BE2A-BBBA5CBC87F0.jpeg
    453.2 KB · Views: 84
What are the odds of a fixed transit connection (with a potential stop at the new WnW hotels)?

Seems like Universal will have two clustered resort areas, each with ~10,000 rooms, an entertainment district, parking structures, and multiple “gates” (including water parks)

Does universal build a fast fixed connection between the two, and bus Cabana Bay or Adventura guests to the CityWalk transit center and then have them take a 5 min train / monorail? Or does it just run express buses (maybe in express lanes, potentially with signal priority) between each hotel and each resort?

And, will the new hotels all be within walking distance of a single transit center (if there’s a fixed connection)?

Seems like Universal has a low key logistical nightmare on their hands. Providing transportation to 50-100k+ guests per day on roads and across property they don’t own..

Reactions: tankart150
If any of the Universal Monsters get a castle/ride, it's Frankenstein. He's Universal's Mickey Mouse.

A hub and spoke Castle Park with Victor Frankenstien's Castle in the hub is a Universal fanboi's wet dream.

How about a hub and spoke park with the center of the hub being a nice Universal Globe fountain with no central Icon, but castles and mountains on the perimeter of the park that can be seen the from the hub? Sort of like if one of the transitions from the hub is the Hogsmeade arch from the LC with Hogwarts off in the distance.
I would be okay with this. As long as Mummy doesn’t close down too soon. But that’s another thread :bored:

I know it's not going to happen, but it would be outstanding if Comcast bought WB one day

No Dracula? That's kind of a disappointment.

EDIT: When you think about it, it's kind of a given that some sort of horror area will come to the parks in the future. Universal currently has UCM, Luigi's Mansion, A House with a Clock in its Walls, Coraline, Paranorman, Stranger Things (if they choose to make a ride out of it), Ghostbusters, Scooby Doo, and Walking Dead. They could also go out and get Goosebumps if they want.

Last edited:
Hey guys, not sure if this was posted (if so, my bad) but Universal updated its mass grading plans for the Universal Blvd land. Before it was for about 350 acres, but they upped it to just under 450 acres. Also, the plans show up to 230 new acres designated, which according to public records is still labeled as UCPM land, but most likely is part of the land they acquired from the settlement. The first image was the past permitted site and the b/w version is the new one.

I'll post the link to the story, but its behind a paywall (Sorry, the mothership needs to make money) but I posted images below that i figure can at least spur discussions.

Link: http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...sal-orlando-to-develop-another-100-acres.html

- Rich

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 11.32.34 AM (2).png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 11.32.34 AM (2).png
    268.1 KB · Views: 62
  • screen-shot-2018-04-02-at-120048-pm-2.png
    screen-shot-2018-04-02-at-120048-pm-2.png
    657.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 11.32.34 AM (2).png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 11.32.34 AM (2).png
    268.1 KB · Views: 57
Hey guys, not sure if this was posted (if so, my bad) but Universal updated its mass grading plans for the Universal Blvd land. Before it was for about 350 acres, but they upped it to just under 450 acres. Also, the plans show up to 230 new acres designated, which according to public records is still labeled as UCPM land, but most likely is part of the land they acquired from the settlement. The first image was the past permitted site and the b/w version is the new one.

I'll post the link to the story, but its behind a paywall (Sorry, the mothership needs to make money) but I posted images below that i figure can at least spur discussions.

Link: http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...sal-orlando-to-develop-another-100-acres.html

- Rich
Thanks for the link and images. I enjoy following your work. You are by far my favorite Orlando reporter.

Looks like Universal was getting serious about getting that property ready.

- Rich
So basically we're up to what we assume will form the bulk of Site B. Thanks Rich

- Rich
That 450 acre figure jives with what zg44 has been using since the settlement the other week. So it looks like his estimates were right on.

Looks like Universal was getting serious about getting that property ready.

Appreciate you reading. Yeah, I agree Universal isn't wasting time. In today's age of new additions each year, they need to get this rolling and quickly. Preparing land isn't vertical construction, but the sooner they can get that done the better they can masterplan.

Status
Not open for further replies.