Table Service Restaurants Inside The Parks | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Table Service Restaurants Inside The Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Brontosaurus ribeye? I’m in!
The Brontosaurus Bone-In Ribeye for 2....$90
the-famous-livv-tomahawk.jpg

I agree that CityWalk makes it hard to justify building table service restaurants in the parks. That seems to be the entire direction of the resort - table service in CityWalk, counter service in the parks.

I also think that it’s a matter of space. Universal’s parks are smaller than Disney’s. Universal would need a table service with Be Out Guest level demand (cough Great Hall cough) to justify using the space.

I’m personally surprised the parks have as many table service restaurants as they do. If Lost Continent goes, I can’t see Mythos staying open at all or Universal replacing it with another table service restaurant.

I agree that CityWalk makes it hard to justify building table service restaurants in the parks. That seems to be the entire direction of the resort - table service in CityWalk, counter service in the parks.

I also think that it’s a matter of space. Universal’s parks are smaller than Disney’s. Universal would need a table service with Be Out Guest level demand (cough Great Hall cough) to justify using the space.

I’m personally surprised the parks have as many table service restaurants as they do. If Lost Continent goes, I can’t see Mythos staying open at all or Universal replacing it with another table service restaurant.
CityWalk has virtually no room for anymore Table Service venues though - it's not Disney Springs. CityWalk also isn't completely small though. If you had a long morning/afternoon of walking and want to have something to eat before going over to wherever you plan on going to next, if you are coming from IOA say, and want to eat at Cowfish and then go to USF, that's quite a walk.

Also, i've noticed that, especially since the introduction of Hogwarts Express, A LOT of tourists don't realize that they want walk over to USF or to IOA. They think the HE is the only way. Many also don't realize where they are once they've gone from park-to-park that they think they have to go back to the prior park to get back to their car. What they aren't realizing is that it's one parking area for all of the parks.

With all of this said, CityWalk should not be thought of as the only option, imo.

Reactions: GadgetGuru

There's plenty of wasted space inside both parks that can fit a restaurant or two. Plenty of room in Jurassic, NYC, Seuss, etc. The list keeps going on and on. Restaurants don't really take up that much room, look at Liberty Tree in MK for example. The restaurant is pretty small but is arguably one of the most popular in the Magic Kingdom. They use the space wisely, sharing a kitchen between 3 restaurants (Skipper Canteen, Diamond Horsheshoe, and Liberty Tree). Even if the kitchen was solely dedicated to Liberty Tree, it still wouldn't be huge. Also, Universal can convert some of the existing quick service locations that are not as popular to table service as well. When was the last time you saw Schwab's Pharmacy packed? Expand the building in the back (there's room), and turn it into an old fashioned soda fountain restaurant. They can even share a kitchen with Mel's!

There's plenty of wasted space inside both parks that can fit a restaurant or two. Plenty of room in Jurassic, NYC, Seuss, etc. The list keeps going on and on. Restaurants don't really take up that much room, look at Liberty Tree in MK for example. The restaurant is pretty small but is arguably one of the most popular in the Magic Kingdom. They use the space wisely, sharing a kitchen between 3 restaurants (Skipper Canteen, Diamond Horsheshoe, and Liberty Tree). Even if the kitchen was solely dedicated to Liberty Tree, it still wouldn't be huge. Also, Universal can convert some of the existing quick service locations that are not as popular to table service as well. When was the last time you saw Schwab's Pharmacy packed? Expand the building in the back (there's room), and turn it into an old fashioned soda fountain restaurant. They can even share a kitchen with Mel's!
Or I can just walk across the bridge and be in NBC which has all that and more or a few more steps to Cowfish. I just don't see them putting elaborate dining inside the parks when they operates several fine places just steps from there.

Or I can just walk across the bridge and be in NBC which has all that and more or a few more steps to Cowfish. I just don't see them putting elaborate dining inside the parks when they operates several fine places just steps from there.

1. Attendance is going up (4 million more annually than 10 years ago and its still rising)
2. Higher revenues (Restaurants pretty much guarantee this, just look at Disney's model)
3. Why not? The more the better.

I'm not saying that CityWalk isn't a viable option, I enjoy Cowfish and others. But for me, an avid Universal fan visiting the parks since my birth, I cannot recall one time, especially since Hogwarts Express opened, where I "wanted" to go out of my way to CityWalk to grab a bite to eat. I agree that Universal has made improvements to their food selection over the past 5 years or so with the additions of many table service and quick service in CityWalk, but I believe it's time to put that energy into the parks regarding table service. Just like Nick said 2 posts ago, CityWalk has virtually no room for anymore Table Service venues, Universal will have to put them into the parks.

Just wanted to add this in and trying not to compare, but people can't make the argument that the parks can't support and don't need table service.

Epcot Annual Attendance: 11,700,000
15+ Table Service With One Confirmed To Be Coming and Another Rumored To Be Coming

Universal Studios Florida Annual Attendance: 10,000,000
2 Table Service

Reactions: UNIrd
With the continuing evolution of Universal and more resort guests, I wouldn't be surprised to see the dining plans evolve and the restaurants with that. Right now we still see Universal having more capacity for dining than needed with several places (Cafe La Bamba, Green Eggs & Ham, Wimpy's, etc.) closed most of the time and only open for peak crowds.

On top of that Universal still operates many of their eateries in the parks like a second rate operation with limited hours (opening late and closing early). I think they will probably update and expand/improve with time (just like Disney did), but honestly I can't see the need for more sit down dining right now when Lombard's and Confisco run at less than capacity most of the time. Mythos does well, but even that runs limited hours, and Finnegan's seems to always be packed.

I think some of you seem to forget how much Universal self-fulfills their prophecies. If they make it so people have to go to CityWalk for some viable dining options, they will go to CityWalk. If they make it so they have more options to eat in the park, they will eat in the park.

With some of your logic, the new Universal hotels weren't necessary because the three on-site hotels were filled just enough. Dining is a draw all on it's own. I know so many people who drop $100 1-day 1-park ticket just to eat and drink at Epcot. To suggest hot dogs and chicken fingers are all people want at theme parks nowadays is a joke.

Keep your captive audience captive. If you send them out to CityWalk, the closer they are to getting in their cars and going somewhere off-site.

I think some of you seem to forget how much Universal self-fulfills their prophecies. If they make it so people have to go to CityWalk for some viable dining options, they will go to CityWalk. If they make it so they have more options to eat in the park, they will eat in the park.

With some of your logic, the new Universal hotels weren't necessary because the three on-site hotels were filled just enough. Dining is a draw all on it's own. I know so many people who drop $100 1-day 1-park ticket just to eat and drink at Epcot. To suggest hot dogs and chicken fingers are all people want at theme parks nowadays is a joke.

Keep your captive audience captive. If you send them out to CityWalk, the closer they are to getting in their cars and going somewhere off-site.
Good point. Just like parks not being open late for so much of the year. If people don't think you're going to be open late, and you don't have night shows, and most of your food services close at 4:00 PM, well, they're going to go home early.

With the continuing evolution of Universal and more resort guests, I wouldn't be surprised to see the dining plans evolve and the restaurants with that. Right now we still see Universal having more capacity for dining than needed with several places (Cafe La Bamba, Green Eggs & Ham, Wimpy's, etc.) closed most of the time and only open for peak crowds.
That’s a great point. I’ve been to the parks quite a few times and I don’t think I’ve ever seen Green Eggs and Ham open. I would personally try Green Eggs and Ham just for the novelty factor, but Universal just doesn’t seem to commit to that food like they have Butterbeer.

Interestingly, Disney doesn’t offer dining plans to day guests, whereas Universal pushes them hard to day guests (like Six Flags). At first glance, I don’t quite understand Universal’s Quick Service meal plan. A quick service entree, snack and drink. Why would I prepay for that? It seems like a coin-flip if I’m saving money.

Reactions: Coasted
That’s a great point. I’ve been to the parks quite a few times and I don’t think I’ve ever seen Green Eggs and Ham open. I would personally try Green Eggs and Ham just for the novelty factor, but Universal just doesn’t seem to commit to that food like they have Butterbeer.

Interestingly, Disney doesn’t offer dining plans to day guests, whereas Universal pushes them hard to day guests (like Six Flags). At first glance, I don’t quite understand Universal’s Quick Service meal plan. A quick service entree, snack and drink. Why would I prepay for that? It seems like a coin-flip if I’m saving money.
You don’t have to prepay for the dining plan, you can buy it at the restaurants register if it save you money. Will the higher priced entrees, you’re basically getting a free butterbeer.

As far as Disney goes, I think I’m done with table service in Disney parks. The only places I would do again is Brunch at the Top and Saana. Universal on the other hand really impressed with their offerings.

As far as Disney goes, I think I’m done with table service in Disney parks. The only places I would do again is Brunch at the Top and Saana. Universal on the other hand really impressed with their offerings.
Really? I think Universal's table service within the parks is mediocre while Disney's is for the most part pretty great (There are a couple that aren't). I was just at Lombards 2 weeks ago and it was nothing to shake a stick at and every time I've been to Mythos and Finnegans I've been left underwhelmed. I've never tried Confisco but from the looks of it, it seems like it's just an expensive not-worth-it sports-bar.

EDIT: Also, those are not restaurants within the parks. One at The Contemporary, the other at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Reactions: Andysol
Yes, I just about quit table service in Disney parks. I have no idea when I'm going to want to eat six months before my visit.