Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion | Page 336 | Inside Universal Forums

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Reminder that the size of this attraction's showbuilding is massive and rivals some of the biggest indoor rides in the park. Does anyone have square footage comparisons between F&F and Kong? F&F' almost looks bigger to me judging from aerial photographs and even without the outside portion of Kong, they were able to make better use of that space by including 2 additional showscenes. Ignoring the quality of the attraction, I have a hard time understanding the use of space here. Especially when Universal has been so incredibly clever in the past when it comes to making every inch of park space count (Transformers for example).

Reminder that the size of this attraction's showbuilding is massive and rivals some of the biggest indoor rides in the park. Does anyone have square footage comparisons between F&F and Kong? F&F' almost looks bigger to me judging from aerial photographs and even without the outside portion of Kong, they were able to make better use of that space by including 2 additional showscenes. Ignoring the quality of the attraction, I have a hard time understanding the use of space here. Especially when Universal has been so incredibly clever in the past when it comes to making every inch of park space count (Transformers for example).

Not counting the outside portion, the endless tunnel and musion scenes are similar in size to the first two added scenes on Kong, (remember we have two buses so the musion scene is actually longer in size than the bug/worm scene on Kong.) Then the 360 scenes are the same size and the ending scene, Kong AA/turn around shipping crates, is also similar in size.

So not looking at satellite images or anything, it’s kind of funny to realize the ride itself is a similar size, minus the outside part. Instead of the outside scene F&F has preshows.

I can kind of see why they might have thought this ride was fine as a stand-alone attraction. But I guess watching The Rock on a bus monitor doesn’t offer the same excitement as an immersive first scene with bat AAs and a 3D scene with flying monsters attacking people. Who’da Guessed?

Reactions: tankart150
Not counting the outside portion, the endless tunnel and musion scenes are similar in size to the first two added scenes on Kong, (remember we have two buses so the musion scene is actually longer in size than the bug/worm scene on Kong.) Then the 360 scenes are the same size and the ending scene, Kong AA/turn around shipping crates, is also similar in size.

So not looking at satellite images or anything, it’s kind of funny to realize the ride itself is a similar size, minus the outside part. Instead of the outside scene F&F has preshows.

I can kind of see why they might have thought this ride was fine as a stand-alone attraction. But I guess watching The Rock on a bus monitor doesn’t offer the same excitement as an immersive first scene with bat AAs and a 3D scene with flying monsters attacking people. Who’da Guessed?
Good point about the double buses requiring the musion scene to be much longer than it appears. But I'm confused about the post-360 portion. Don't we immediately go from the 360 scene to unload on F&F? I can't imagine that short little turn to unload with Ludacris on the tv-screen is of comparable size to the Kong AA showscene. If that's true, I'm speechless by the waste of space there.

Reactions: Alicia
Good point about the double buses requiring the musion scene to be much longer than it appears. But I'm confused about the post-360 portion. Don't we immediately go from the 360 scene to unload on F&F? I can't imagine that short little turn to unload with Ludacris on the tv-screen is of comparable size to the Kong AA showscene. If that's true, I'm speechless by the waste of space there.
You should probably be more amazed how well the small space is used for the Kong AA scene.

You should probably be more amazed how well the small space is used for the Kong AA scene.

Despite Kong opening at the very beginning of screen fatigue, Universal Creative did a truly phenomenal job on Skull Island. They took the basic premise of the 360 tunnel sequence in Hollywood and they went above and beyond turning it into an E-ticket. Sure it has some flaws but when that outside portion is running, the entire experience from the queue to the ride vehicles to the grand swinging doors, creates a really epic ride experience. The 360 tunnel is richly colorful, beautifully rendered, and has dynamic and convincing movement variety including speed, skidding, bumping, and banging with interaction between the animals and the ride movement. And let's not forget the awesome swinging effect from side to side. It's a fully realized, immersive attraction even before that Kong AA shows up to really give a final "wow." Considering the same management team was in effect for the construction of both rides and they were both born from similar circumstances, I'm not sure why Kong wasn't used as the template for plussing the F&F tram.

Despite Kong opening at the very beginning of screen fatigue, Universal Creative did a truly phenomenal job on Skull Island. They took the basic premise of the 360 tunnel sequence in Hollywood and they went above and beyond turning it into an E-ticket. Sure it has some flaws but when that outside portion is running, the entire experience from the queue to the ride vehicles to the grand swinging doors, creates a really epic ride experience. The 360 tunnel is richly colorful, beautifully rendered, and has dynamic and convincing movement variety including speed, skidding, bumping, and banging with interaction between the animals and the ride movement. And let's not forget the awesome swinging effect from side to side. It's a fully realized, immersive attraction even before that Kong AA shows up to really give a final "wow." Considering the same management team was in effect for the construction of both rides and they were both born from similar circumstances, I'm not sure why Kong wasn't used as the template for plussing the F&F tram.
:thumbsup:..Kong is an absolutely wonderful attraction with great ride repeatability...and ..Yes, and you would think they would have plussed the entire ride and the F&F 360 scene like they did with Kong.

The opening sequence out of the station is very well done. Timeless light and motion, practical basic and is pretty seamless, this is the only creative point I can give the attraction that to me, sticks the landing. Even the two preshows both with live performers falling flat blows my mind.

I think the fact that Uni had no Mike West type creative leadership speaking as the ride was announced and progressed is very telling of the scope that they knew it was going to have or not have.

The finale being a 360 scene should be very focused on sense of motion as that is primarily what it is trying to convey, when done done well that is not an exciting feeling. Between muddled narrative and this you do not have people raving about it. There is no sideswipe off a ramp or bridge and one jump that even feels horizontal. Old Disney Omnimovers have been around for awhile and often to me, have a greater sense of speed than the main action of FF's tunnel.

Last edited:

When the ride was first announced, and we were all wondering how different it could be from Hollywood, we did do a measure and it was the largest parcel of land between the popular rides. It gave us all false hope. :lol:

It should be somewhere in the first parts of this thread.

EDIT: FOUND IT!

Square Footage Estimates:

MIB - 77,000 Sq Ft
Gringotts - 87,000 Sq Ft
Disaster + BJ Plot - 144,000 Sq Ft

The 40 inch height requirement seems odd after Kong was 36 and this is made to be more accessible than other dark ride simulators. To me, that is a huge negative as we have moved from kongfrontation, Jaws and Earthquake being accessible and no height requirement if with an adult. If you have children under 40 inch in your party your only attractions that physically move you in studios(aside from Hogwarts Express) is Shrek, ET, fivels slide, Klang spinner and nuthouse coaster.

That is not an impressive family accessible line up compared to uni's original adventures.

Last edited:
The 40 inch height requirement seems odd after Kong was 36 and this is made to be more accessible than other dark ride simulators. To me, that is a huge negative as we have moved from kongfrontation, Jaws and Earthquake being accessible and no height requirement if with an adult. If you have children under 40 inch in your party your only attractions that physically move you in studios(aside from Hogwarts Express) is Shrek, ET, fivels slide, Klang spinner and nuthouse coaster.

That an impressive family accessible line up compared to uni's original adventures.

Side note - Nice to see you posting again. :thumbsup:

Barely. But yea.
I wonder if this could be an option after some of the other 3D screen attractions are replaced? Wouldn't be perfect, but would maybe give it a slight boost.

Also, agree with what everyone is saying in terms of Kong being a much better example of how to plus a the original Tram experience it's based off, but would also argue it benefits from being in a park that is less dominated by screens, so hopefully as Universal works to fix that problem in the Studios park, F&F can be viewed (slightly) more favorably...

I wonder if this could be an option after some of the other 3D screen attractions are replaced? Wouldn't be perfect, but would maybe give it a slight boost.

Also, agree with what everyone is saying in terms of Kong being a much better example of how to plus a the original Tram experience it's based off, but would also argue it benefits from being in a park that is less dominated by screens, so hopefully as Universal works to fix that problem in the Studios park, F&F can be viewed (slightly) more favorably...
Ironically, I like Kong more now that I road F&F...

I will say, the speed tunnel effect is pretty cool

:thumbsup:..Kong is an absolutely wonderful attraction with great ride repeatability...and ..Yes, and you would think they would have plussed the entire ride and the F&F 360 scene like they did with Kong.

I'm curious to hear why you think Kong has great ride repeatability? My wife and I were talking about this last night. 8 of us were at Universal last year and got to ride Kong. Only 1 of us liked it and she was the only one to ride it again. We are heading to Universal again a few weeks and have no interest in riding it again.

To me, this is a moving theatre. It's got set pieces. The car is boring, the screens are boring and the car shakes. I don't see a reason to ever do it again. The ride seems the same each time, unless I'm missing that there are different scenes for different rides.

I understand that Universal needed places to put people, but it's been sad that they built Fallon, Kong and now Fast and Furious. They all seem the same. Fast and the Furious is the biggest disappointment as it is neither fast nor furious. This was a great chance for them to make a Rockin' Rollercoaster type ride.

We are hoping that they build a new and exciting ride to get us to come back again next year. If they continue to build these IMHO "People mover" type of rides, we won't be back for a while.