2nd USH Gate? | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

2nd USH Gate?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Disneyland is 87 acres. The Magic Kingdom is 107 acres. Even if you include 12 acres for Star Wars land(which doesn't take up all new land...some is old property being repurposed: Rivers of America), that only brings it to 99 acres.
There is way more packed into that park though than MK.

Your numbers only speak for what the track of the Railroad circles. What about that massive wooded area behind New Fantasyland and the huge parking lot in Tomorrowland that guests will never see? Do you consider that part of the park? Speaking on guest experience, so... including attraction show buildings, Disneyland will be bigger. If you consider areas of the park that guests will never step foot on, then yes the Magic Kingdom railroad circles a larger area.

comparisonm.jpg

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Just to say, with some calculations and if they remove IFly (which, that would be fine in a sense); they would have the potential of having a second park at 53 acres.

RTnYNdY.jpg

In theory, they could do a 53 acre theme park, if they play it right.

Reactions: Chris
Your numbers only speak for what the track of the Railroad circles. What about that massive wooded area behind New Fantasyland and the huge parking lot in Tomorrowland that guests will never see? Do you consider that part of the park? Speaking on guest experience, so... including attraction show buildings, Disneyland will be bigger. If you consider areas of the park that guests will never step foot on, then yes the Magic Kingdom railroad circles a larger area.

View attachment 4541
Seeing as how you're including backstage areas of Disneyland(not all of the construction site for SWL will be in guest areas) its only fair to count MKs backstage too....which soon may be 'on set'

Regardless they are pretty close in size and it doesn't really matter. 100 acres is pretty ideal for a theme park....anything less and it gets tight and cramped. There's no way Universal could build an adequate second gate if its only 40-45 acres.

Reactions: LJGonz
Seeing as how you're including backstage areas of Disneyland(not all of the construction site for SWL will be in guest areas) its only fair to count MKs backstage too....which soon may be 'on set'

Regardless they are pretty close in size and it doesn't really matter. 100 acres is pretty ideal for a theme park....anything less and it gets tight and cramped. There's no way Universal could build an adequate second gate if its only 40-45 acres.

Considering that IMG is about 30 acres in total, and that Knotts is 41 acres.

It's not impossible, in many way's.

Uh what? Disney owns TONS of land surrounding Disneyland. It's all leased to various businesses right now (that's how they make money off it). In terms of park 3 the plot of land Disney currently owns is about 85 acres. There's a reason they want to build a massive parking structure on Disney Way....
Indeed. That parking structure is very strategic.

Singapore is really small too. It can be done if they do the vertical stuff like Nintendo is supposed to be. It can be accomplished, but it sure will be tight with limited expansion area. Maybe it's just better to do a nice expansion of the present day park to a more normal 80 to 90 acre park that could accommodate an attendance in the 10-15 million attendance range, something that would be tough with the present 45 acre park.

They key to growth is similar for both USH and DLR. As more and more people visit, you have to create a separate gate to help divide the influx of people through a main gate. The only way to do this is to create a separate theme park where guests are divided when they arrive to the property. DLR plans to have a 3rd gate on the current Toy Story parking lot and that will help to draw people away from the main property and reduce the need to expand the current park footprints. USH will need to do this soon...and not only because of DLR growth (which has always been the catalyst), but also because the main gate at USH is simply not large enough to handle higher crowd capacity!

Just to say, with some calculations and if they remove IFly (which, that would be fine in a sense); they would have the potential of having a second park at 53 acres.

RTnYNdY.jpg

In theory, they could do a 53 acre theme park, if they play it right.

I really like this idea. They could do something similar to DCA Mission Breakout and incorporate Supercharged into the new park ride count by retrofitting Supercharged into the Orlando version. Its saves $$$ and that is key!

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I really like this idea. They could do something similar to DCA Mission Breakout and incorporate Supercharged into the new park ride count by retrofitting Supercharged into the Orlando version. Its saves $$$ and that is key!

I actually agree with it.

In theory, all they would need to do is to expand the building a slight bit to not only keep it intact, but to have it for the second gate.

It's what UC did with Fallon at Orlando, and it makes a lot of sense.

Meanwhile, I am now not expecting the second gate in the next few years, as it's seeming like the IOC is going for Paris and that LA will be given 2028.

When Star Wars hits in 2019...I don't think Disney will be ready! Will Universal? Probably not with SLoP. But now Universal has time to focus on growth if the Olympics push to 2028.

I always felt the Hollywood Sign Gondola could always become an add on experience inside the 2nd gate at USH.

Reactions: UNIrd
When Star Wars hits in 2019...I don't think Disney will be ready! Will Universal? Probably not with SLoP. But now Universal has time to focus on growth if the Olympics push to 2028.

I always felt the Hollywood Sign Gondola could always become an add on experience inside the 2nd gate at USH.

I think for Universal, we should be theoretically fine for 2019. I do expect somewhat of a drop, but SLoP should counter that albeit a bit.

UPR has Beijing and Park IV at Orlando to deal with. I am actually more happy with this in theory; as it will allow more developmental time for if Universal Hollywood gets a second gate on-property.

Nintendo will be huge for Hollywood. Will it be the best version...that remains to be seen. Will it be phased smaller to fit the footprint...yes. This is typical California, but not a problem with the space involved.

Nintendo will be huge for Hollywood. Will it be the best version...that remains to be seen. Will it be phased smaller to fit the footprint...yes. This is typical California, but not a problem with the space involved.

And here is the thing.

I don't see us losing an attraction, as it's been said that SNW will be compact.

What I'm more curious, in the next few years; is how will the Lower Lot be redesigned.

From what it sounds like, it's seeming like that the current New York Street may retire and that it would transfer down to the lower lot. That would lead to the question, on how will they handle the thematic aspects of an urban city like New York, compared to the insanely colorful world of the Mushroom Kingdom?

I have to assume that they will do somewhat of a berm of structures, similar to what was done with Springfield and Hogsmeade, but it really does make me curious to see what they can exactly pull for this.

It really depends on how invested they are to go all in, as I can see them going fully into this with open arms.

But, this is starting to get a bit off-topic, so I'll just leave it at that.

Reactions: Chris
This suggestion of a 2nd gate really has my attention. Once Universal increases footprint in the Lower Lot, USH can accommodate more people...but remember that everyone must walk through the Upper Lot to get there! When the Fire Marshall shuts the main gate for multiple days due to overcrowding, then the investors will speak up and say "we are losing money!".

A 2nd gate would almost guarantee a DA and Hogsmead Express to mirror Orlando's design and offer higher ticket sales.

Seeing as how you're including backstage areas of Disneyland(not all of the construction site for SWL will be in guest areas) its only fair to count MKs backstage too....which soon may be 'on set'.

In my map I only included attraction show-buildings. I cut out most backstage areas from both WDW and DL (DL's are north of the park) in those comparisons. I did exactly what you said...I included the huge parking lot in MK between Main Street and TL for the Main Street theater (which is now cancelled btw). Undeveloped wooded areas don't count as backstage vs an actual construction site.

Back on topic to USH. I think a 2nd gate is coming. I'm totally okay with it being similar in scale to Singapore. If they wanted to they could do another Upper-Lot / Lower-Lot situation and expand into where Jaws currently resides.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOCAL110

View attachment 4541
Actually, a pretty big plot next to space mountain will make way for the Tron Lightcycle ride. So you may want to add that
74DB54B2-E7DD-4BE7-A548-474020533203.jpeg

This suggestion of a 2nd gate really has my attention. Once Universal increases footprint in the Lower Lot, USH can accommodate more people...but remember that everyone must walk through the Upper Lot to get there! When the Fire Marshall shuts the main gate for multiple days due to overcrowding, then the investors will speak up and say "we are losing money!".

A 2nd gate would almost guarantee a DA and Hogsmead Express to mirror Orlando's design and offer higher ticket sales.

My impression is that there isn't any room for the 2nd gate because of the difficulty of expanding for more attractions, while Universal is an active-working movie/TV studio. There's a huge large green field across the Universal backlot where residential ent homes are. The residents probably wouldn't like it if Universal tried to expand into a green field.

Which is a shame imo, going to USH is just as good as going to California's Great America, as there isn't a lot to do in these parks besides certain seasonsal events like Chinese Lunar New Year and Halloween, and USH takes a few hours just to finish.

Reactions: bob albert
LOL lets just get a hotel / resort built in HW

Which, as of now, has a nice slot that can be used, that just had something demolished...

My impression is that there isn't any room for the 2nd gate because of the difficulty of expanding for more attractions, while Universal is an active-working movie/TV studio. There's a huge large green field across the Universal backlot where residential ent homes are. The residents probably wouldn't like it if Universal tried to expand into a green field.

Which is a shame imo, going to USH is just as good as going to California's Great America, as there isn't a lot to do in these parks besides certain seasonsal events like Chinese Lunar New Year and Halloween, and USH takes a few hours just to finish.

Once again though, there is space.

And that I would like to remind people that they actually did resume purchasing parcels of land, which may give them more political power of what they could do, and in such, may allow them to be able to get that Second gate more flowing..

Reactions: tankart150
Status
Not open for further replies.