Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

Heard today that the numbers for both SeaWorld and Aquatica have been really good. Aquatica actually set attendance records in February with the hot weather. The feeling is that the park (and the company as a whole) have started to turn a corner and recover. Of course this comes just a little too late for Manby...
I think the concern inside SW should be about the Busch Gardens parks and SWSD.

SWSD's numbers in 2017 were 3.1 million and down significantly from 2015 and 2016 numbers around 3.6 million. That park needs stabilization or at some point, it'll have to be cut loose.

The Busch Gardens parks had been a source of strength through the Blackfish-related attendance declines, but those parks have likely experienced attendance declines in the past 2-3 years. Based on a variety of articles I've seen on the subject, declines in annual passholders appear to be the biggest problem for those two.

SWSA is probably the strongest park in the group; that one appears to have completely healthy attendance/financials. Significantly less regional competition + markets that weren't affected much by the Blackfish issue.

SWSD's numbers in 2017 were 3.1 million and down significantly from 2015 and 2016 numbers around 3.6 million. That park needs stabilization or at some point, it'll have to be cut loose.

The company said in its latest report that San Diego attendance had rebounded significantly at the start of 2018 after a challenging year in 2017 :)

The company said in its latest report that San Diego attendance had rebounded significantly at the start of 2018 after a challenging year in 2017 :)
Yeah, expectations for all of SW are for a 5-6% year-over-year rise in 1st quarter revenue. That'd be a big boost and might signal the end of the issues at the SW parks, if that pace is sustained, it'd be a huge deal.

San Diego supposedly has started making a turnaround. It really looks like a lot of the stuff that was put in place under Manby is finally starting to bear fruit (a few months too late for him though).

I think the concern inside SW should be about the Busch Gardens parks and SWSD.

The Busch Gardens parks had been a source of strength through the Blackfish-related attendance declines, but those parks have likely experienced attendance declines in the past 2-3 years. Based on a variety of articles I've seen on the subject, declines in annual passholders appear to be the biggest problem for those two.

SWSA is probably the strongest park in the group; that one appears to have completely healthy attendance/financials. Significantly less regional competition + markets that weren't affected much by the Blackfish issue.
I would totally get a Busch Gardens pass if they gave me a reason to...Shuttering things and decreasing areas that made them great is not the answer

Also, firing some major players in making the parks and events great (ahem Scott Swenson) is also a great reason to pass on the AP

Snapshot of Q1 results, proves the delusion of many on enthusiast forums :grin:

-Attendance up by nearly 15% to 3.22 million.
-Annual Pass sales up 10%
-In park spending up 6.4%
-Revenues of $217 million compared to $186 million in the first quarter of 2017

Yes. Even Comcast , in their quarterly results report, mentioned that part of the revenue spike increase was due to Easter/Spring Breaks occurring early this year. ...And it will be interesting to see what SW 2018 second quarter results show, since it will be compared to a late Easter quarter in 2017. ....Timing of Easter holiday has a lot to do with the first two quarter results every year.

The shift added momentum of course, but there were only 5 days of extra peak trading, 5 days alone is not enough to account for a 15% attendance rise!

Some people will always be negative I suppose. The stock market is loving it, their expectations were well exceeded and the stock has hit an 11 month high.

Even if that is the case, the stock market is reacting favorably. SWP&E stock is up about 10% right now and is one of the few winners on the market today.

^That's untrue, a great deal of context is involved with theme park companies on the stock market. That's why SEAS stock went down a few years ago on a positive earnings report that was only due to a shift in Easter.

Also, metrics such as annual pass sales being up 10% and in park revenue being up over 6% are not affected by any shifts.

^That's untrue, a great deal of context is involved with theme park companies on the stock market. That's why SEAS stock went down a few years ago on a positive earnings report that was only due to a shift in Easter.

Also, metrics such as annual pass sales being up 10% and in park revenue being up over 6% are not affected by any shifts.
It is true. The revenue increases directly correlate to an increase in annual pass holders. IMO, while it is a significant increase, the amount that the stock increased in value is greater than the parallel increase in annual pass holders. As I said before, it would be up either way. It’s just higher than what it should be.

Depending on how the stock fairs over the next year, this may be the time to get in on the ground floor of SEAS. Or maybe I’m just an optimist. (semi likely scenario)

Just listened to today's call, more than half of the quarter's growth would have still happened even without a shift in Easter.

They also announced that they will be adding a new ride, attraction or show in every park every year.