Disney/FOX Acquisition Thread | Page 23 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney/FOX Acquisition Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think just distribution rights. Cameron’s company owns the creative license.

I guess Universal getting a cut every time someone buys a shoulder banshee in DAK is no weirder than Disney getting money every time someone buys a Hulk toy at IOA.
Wow that’s crazy I hope this deal goes through. More IP Universal can use for their parks.

Wow that’s crazy I hope this deal goes through. More IP Universal can use for their parks.

Itd give Universal more control on current contracts like Simpsons and AHS, that's for sure. But it could open the door for more properties for Universal on a film side, giving more than just Jurassic and Fast in their arsenal.

Well even if they don't get Fox at least they may still get Sky as news as Comcast officially pushed paperwork to the EU stating intention to buy right before this news drop.

Comcast formally notifies Brussels of intention to bid for Sky | Reuters

I take this news as Comcast actually is thinking AT&T will win the court case...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In addition, I think Comcast might start to come for Disney with Animation by having 6 Animation studios under their organization if this deal goes through. They did say at last conference call they are focusing on Animation and Franchises now.

If Universal/Comcast does end up getting the Fox deal done, they will make a Deadpool attraction of some kind. I’d bet serious money on it.

Also, will this effect Park 4 at all? Or will Universal continue to finalize the plans for the park while waiting on the Fox deal?

Reactions: Galaxy Defender
To be fair, what has Universal done with Hulk?
They don't need to though to keep their rights to the Hulk character - at least as long as Marvel is using Hulk in the MCU. As long as Hulk appears on-screen, Universal's rights are safe from what I have heard.

And honestly, who wants a Hulk movie that isn't connected to the MCU anyway? It would sort be like a meaningless bootleg at this point.

They don't need to though to keep their rights to the Hulk character - at least as long as Marvel is using Hulk in the MCU. As long as Hulk appears on-screen, Universal's rights are safe from what I have heard.

And honestly, who wants a Hulk movie that isn't connected to the MCU anyway? It would sort be like a meaningless bootleg at this point.

It would be connected to the MCU but the issue is Universal doesn't have to pay for it and they get final cut which Marvel Studios isn't happy about.

Like Venom.

Reactions: jseal777
There's a long, long way to go:

If I had to handicap the odds right now:
Disney 60%
Comcast 40%

Disney is still the favored bidder because of the uncertainty around the AT&T-TW deal. If that deal doesn't go through easily in June, no way Murdochs agree to a Comcast bid.

But if the AT&T-TimeWarner merger goes through, then it'll be open season and the Murdochs will probably open the bidding up between Comcast and Disney.

At that point, it's really just up to how much Iger wants to bid; if he's willing to outbid Comcast... he can; Disney's one of the few companies with a balance sheet as strong as Comcast's...

If Universal/Comcast does end up getting the Fox deal done, they will make a Deadpool attraction of some kind. I’d bet serious money on it.

Also, will this effect Park 4 at all? Or will Universal continue to finalize the plans for the park while waiting on the Fox deal?

It really won't have much of an effect on Park 4; I can't really think of major Fox IPs that would be showcased in the 4th dry park.

Heck it'd make more sense for something like Planet of the Apes to end up in IoA.

Last edited:
I'm actually really excited about the possibility of Comcast acquiring Fox instead of Disney. Monopoly or not, Disney acquires a bit too much companies/IPs that the general public already know, so Comcast really needs to have a share of some other companies/IPs too. After all, competition breeds quality, as we here recall the fact WWOHP blew Universal out of the water and helped the company in direct competition with the House of Mouse, which in return struck back with Star Wars Land. Comcast acquiring Fox would deliver a serious blow to Disney's own streaming service, as well as boosting Comcast's assets to its portfolio.

To be fair, what has Universal done with Hulk?

Universal hasn't done anything with Hulk because Disney/Marvel Studios owns the movie rights to the green character, while Universal owns the distribution rights. Disney/Marvel can make the solo movie about the Hulk, but Universal gets to distribute it for simply doing nothing and Disney/Marvel doesn't want to put up with it. If anything, the question should be directed towards Disney/Marvel rather than Universal which has no power to do anything with the green character.

Yeah at MSHI, which it isn't possible considering that Universal Orlando is rumored to plan an Iron Legion ride. I don't think Universal would make a Deadpool attraction though because it isn't enough popular appeal to make it happen.

As for as the usage of Fox properties for the 4th park, I have to admit I can't think of anything that makes most Fox assets valuable for the 4th park (maybe @AlexanderMBush knows if he cares to answer). Maybe some Fox assets for HHN but that's about it. The only Fox property worth for the park is the Alien, which I don't know if Disney still owns the theme park rights to the franchise. The funny thing is when I was YTing some cool ride stuff, I found this video.

Reactions: Galaxy Defender
If anything, the question should be directed towards Disney/Marvel rather than Universal which has no power to do anything with the green character.
Disney has no reason to do a Hulk movie through distribution with Universal though when they have been portraying the character on-screen in the MCU without Universal since 2012 (not counting the Edward Norton version in 2008, which was Universal distributed).

Marvel has also managed to do a lot story-wise with Banner/Hulk despite not having distribution rights. They just chose to do it over the course of a few movies rather than work with Universal because again, there's no reason for them to. Hulk is best used the way we see him in the MCU anyway which is as a side character. Otherwise, he's pretty one-dimensional by himself.

Disney has no reason to do a Hulk movie through distribution with Universal though when they have been portraying the character on-screen in the MCU without Universal since 2012 (not counting the Edward Norton version in 2008, which was Universal distributed).

Marvel has also managed to do a lot story-wise with Banner/Hulk despite not having distribution rights. They just chose to do it over the course of a few movies rather than work with Universal because again, there's no reason for them to. Hulk is best used the way we see him in the MCU anyway which is as a side character. Otherwise, he's pretty one-dimensional by himself.

I'm not denying the rest of your argument though, but my response is made to someone saying about Universal not doing anything with the Hulk, not that if Disney won't make the Hulk movie simply because of the character's story flaw or not.

Reactions: Nick
I'm actually really excited about the possibility of Comcast acquiring Fox instead of Disney. Monopoly or not, Disney acquires a bit too much companies/IPs that the general public already know, so Comcast really needs to have a share of some other companies/IPs too. After all, competition breeds quality, as we here recall the fact WWOHP blew Universal out of the water and helped the company in direct competition with the House of Mouse, which in return struck back with Star Wars Land. Comcast acquiring Fox would deliver a serious blow to Disney's own streaming service, as well as boosting Comcast's assets to its portfolio.
Comcast acquiring Fox would be even worse than Disney because that leaves a major hole in the film industry. At least Disney intends on operating Fox similarly to how they're operating now; Universal has no benefit from having 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight, so they'll essentially be shuttered. Theaters will be playing less movies as a result. It's a bad deal regardless, but outside of Sky, Comcast gains very little from this.

Reactions: HereWeGo
Would universal be able to add more mutant ride and attractions if Comcast bought fox? Like a full on wolverine/x-men attraction or something? Or is there something in the contract that would limit that?