Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tidal Wave Officially Closes

Any chance Tidal Wave will be replaced with a themed boat ride?

Tidal Wave used to be a scenic cruise called the African Queen Boat Ride, and I'm imagining BGT turning it back into that, but with a new layout and story. One of the project names BGT released was "Tigris", referring to the Tigris River in the Middle East, and the most significant thing about that river is that it was mentioned in the Bible as one of the rivers that flowed through the Garden of Eden. And in Christianity, the Garden of Eden is where man and animals were first created.

I'm pretty sure SWP&E wants to make attractions that can re-emphasize its conservation efforts, since many in the public have the wrong idea about the company right now. So the Tigris River might be a way for them to do that, as the basis for a narrative about man's relationship with animals throughout history.

It could turn out to be an educational boat ride, showing with life-size, stationary models (NOT animatronics, as those are too expensive) scenes of humans with animals in different civilizations, in different time periods, like elephants being used as transportation for kings and sultans, or tigers being chained up in palaces as royal pets. And there could be a voice on speakers narrating these scenes with some background music and sound fx (kinda like a children's storybook on audiocassette). The theme could be that man understood very little about animals back then, but our knowledge of them has increased over time, and the ride could end with a present-day scene, of people standing in the bed of a safari truck feeding a giraffe.

A ride like that would not only be great for BGT's image, but also SWP&E. Maintenance on it would be simple since there'd be no splashdowns; just audio and detailed models to tell its story. And it would be educational, which for sure would attract more families to the park and boost its attendance.

Or... it could just be a Skyrocket. Who knows?

Last edited:
Any chance Tidal Wave will be replaced with a themed boat ride?

Tidal Wave used to be a scenic cruise called the African Queen Boat Ride, and I'm imagining BGT turning it back into that, but with a new layout and story. One of the project names BGT released was "Tigris", referring to the Tigris River in the Middle East, and the most significant thing about that river is that it was mentioned in the Bible as one of the rivers that flowed through the Garden of Eden. And in Christianity, the Garden of Eden is where man and animals were first created.

I'm pretty sure SWP&E wants to make attractions that can re-emphasize its conservation efforts, since many in the public have the wrong idea about the company right now. So the Tigris River might be a way for them to do that, as the basis for a narrative about man's relationship with animals throughout history.

It could turn out to be an educational boat ride, showing with life-size, stationary models (NOT animatronics, as those are too expensive) scenes of humans with animals in different civilizations, in different time periods, like elephants being used as transportation for kings and sultans, or tigers being chained up in palaces as royal pets. And there could be a voice on speakers narrating these scenes with some background music and sound fx (kinda like a children's storybook on audiocassette). The theme could be that man understood very little about animals back then, but our knowledge of them has increased over time, and the ride could end with a present-day scene, of people standing in the bed of a safari truck feeding a giraffe.

A ride like that would not only be great for BGT's image, but also SWP&E. Maintenance on it would be simple since there'd be no splashdowns; just audio and detailed models to tell its story. And it would be educational, which for sure would attract more families to the park and boost its attendance.

Or... it could just be a Skyrocket. Who knows?
A water coaster would be fun...Or something along the lines of Chiapas at Phantasialand

A water coaster would be fun...Or something along the lines of Chiapas at Phantasialand
Wow, I just watched a POV of Chiapas and listened to its soundtrack. Definitely could be something like that, but slower, more of a scenic boat ride, and with that kind of theming, no animatronics or anything. Again, the focus would be on educating and taking riders into different time periods.

And if BGT could commission a soundtrack like that to be made for the ride (I guess it could be called the Tigris River Journey), that would absolutely make it more immersive.

I'm pretty sure "Tigris" in the case of the trademark is in reference to Tigers...(scientific name is Panthera Tigris). The other 2 trademarks also have tiger themes as well (Twisted Tiger, Uproar-could be tiger themed as tigers roar). While I'd love to see another water ride at BGT, those tend to be disappearing from parks around the world, especially if there is a water park attached (or across the street as is the case with BGT). They are very expensive to operate and maintain. Congo River Rapids is likely the most expensive attraction to operate currently at the park. There's a lot more than just ride attendants and maintenance. There's water, filtration systems and power to run them. I just hope the Stanley Falls Flume is safe for the near future. Traditional log flumes are becoming endangered fast.

I'm pretty sure "Tigris" in the case of the trademark is in reference to Tigers...(scientific name is Panthera Tigris). The other 2 trademarks also have tiger themes as well (Twisted Tiger, Uproar-could be tiger themed as tigers roar). While I'd love to see another water ride at BGT, those tend to be disappearing from parks around the world, especially if there is a water park attached (or across the street as is the case with BGT). They are very expensive to operate and maintain. Congo River Rapids is likely the most expensive attraction to operate currently at the park. There's a lot more than just ride attendants and maintenance. There's water, filtration systems and power to run them. I just hope the Stanley Falls Flume is safe for the near future. Traditional log flumes are becoming endangered fast.
I see what you're saying, but seeing how SWO is about to open Infinity Falls, I think it's safe to assume BGT is about to follow suit with its own water ride next year. And if it's a calm boat ride, that should make water filtration easier; far less gallons to filter every day than if it had rushing white-water rapids.

What SWO does/adds in terms of rides has no bearing on what BGT adds. If that was the case, Cobra's Curse would have been a Giga (or what they are building next year...which at this point is a bit late to start construction on for 2019). SWO needed another water ride (it is a sea themed park after all) and something most of the family could ride. It was also the only SW park that didn't have a rapids ride. I'm fairly certain a Skyrocket II will be rising once TTW is demolished. Maybe everyone's wrong and something no one has even thought of will be built. We'll have better guesstimates as time passes, or until track shows up or announcement made.

What SWO does/adds in terms of rides has no bearing on what BGT adds. If that was the case, Cobra's Curse would have been a Giga (or what they are building next year...which at this point is a bit late to start construction on for 2019). SWO needed another water ride (it is a sea themed park after all) and something most of the family could ride. It was also the only SW park that didn't have a rapids ride. I'm fairly certain a Skyrocket II will be rising once TTW is demolished. Maybe everyone's wrong and something no one has even thought of will be built. We'll have better guesstimates as time passes, or until track shows up or announcement made.
Well, both BGT and SWO are owned by the same company, and those saying a Skyrocket II will be built in Tidal Wave's place are saying so largely because SeaWorld San Diego and Busch Gardens Williamsburg recently built Skyrocket IIs, so I have to disagree with you on sister parks in the same chain not having any influence on each other.

I just like to imagine the company building something a bit more inventive than just another roller coaster, or another basic water ride. They kinda have to be creative, especially in Florida, where the competition from Disney and Universal is so intense. Luckily BGT is about 80 miles away from Orlando, and isn't taking direct hits from them like SWO is, so SWP&E may be trying to pour more of its energy and creativity into its Tampa park to win more family crowds from a more local area. Cobra's Curse is already a good sign that that's the case.

But yes, only time will tell...

But how will Disney build slow moving boat rides if parks are removing boat rides

Well, both BGT and SWO are owned by the same company, and those saying a Skyrocket II will be built in Tidal Wave's place are saying so largely because SeaWorld San Diego and Busch Gardens Williamsburg recently built Skyrocket IIs, so I have to disagree with you on sister parks in the same chain not having any influence on each other..
I said this:
What SWO does/adds in terms of rides has no bearing on what BGT adds.
This is in no way was referencing other/sister parks in the chain not influencing each other, which they obviously do with similar/cloned attractions in different parts of the country.

Besides things like festival similarities, food, shows (Opening Night Critters/Pet's Ahoy) and obvious company related procedures, not much has been copied between BGT & SWO attraction wise. Exceptions:

*In '82 Congo River Rapids added to BGT and this year Infinity Falls opens at SWO.
*In '93 Kumba opened at BGT and 7 years later Kraken opened at SWO. Similar ride, different trains.
*Sesame Street came to BGT in 2010 and will come to SWO in 2019.
*There are also some similar rides among Sesame Street Safari of Fun @ BGT and the current Happy Harbor @ SWO. This is already common among parks anyway, regardless of location. Even Universal Orlando put the same kiddie coaster in USF & IOA with different themes.
*You could argue also that Journey To Atlantis is like a combo of Stanley Falls Flume & TTW, but is unique in itself.

Historically, if anything, SWO tends to add things similar to what BGT has added in the past. They are however different enough for the casual traveller who likely only visits once in their lifetime.

I get however it would be nice to have a leisurely jungle river type attraction again. I would have loved to experience that before TTW was put in. I just don't see them adding that when trying to maintain the thrill status they are going for in Florida. It's not going to get more people in the park in comparison to Disney other than locals. Cobra's Curse was the last family attraction 2 years ago. It's time for something more thrilling. A new family attraction will come eventually. I'd like a new version of Rhino Rally to get up close to the animals again without having to pay more or random sightings on the train.

I'm pretty sure "Tigris" in the case of the trademark is in reference to Tigers...(scientific name is Panthera Tigris).
You know what, you're probably right.

With the entrance to the Tidal Wave being in Stanleyville, I couldn't see how it could be tiger-themed, as it would have to be part of Jungala, and having a pedestrian path straight between it and the log flume would make it hard to split the two as being part of different areas. But I was recently there and saw how the Orang Cafe next to Tree Top Trails has been vacant for a long time, and if they gutted it, it could serve as a pathway into the area, just from the opposite side. That would make it part of the Jungala area, and they would simply have to keep the trees and barricade up on the Stanleyville side (which I think is part of what the permit said).

Therefore, it could be tiger-themed, whether it's a Skyrocket or a water ride.

But how will Disney build slow moving boat rides if parks are removing boat rides
On second thought, maybe a slow-moving boat ride wouldn't be best.

The idea actually is a bit too Disney-ish, and to have the ride follow a narrative, it would have to be at least 7 minutes long, and the footprint Tidal Wave sits on may not be big enough for a river trail that lasts 7 minutes. Plus, the main reason I thought "Tigris" had to mean the Tigris River is because the entrance to the Tidal Wave area was in Stanleyville, and it would have to be in Jungala if it was in reference to tigers. But like I said above, the Orang Cafe next to Tree Top Trails has been vacant and unused for quite a few years, and it may likely be removed. That would open a pathway to the Tidal Wave area, but from the opposite side, making it a Jungala-area attraction.

Therefore it could be tiger-themed, and with tigers as the main focus, it would be more fitting to have something like a shoot-the-chutes water ride rather than a scenic boat ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't see how this could be a water ride, the named Twisted Tiger alone should give it away that this is a coaster. The only way I could see this having any water if it were an Intamin Aquatrax (which one could dream right?), that would seriously be an awesome addition to the park, however, unlikely that it would happen. I think it's clearly between RMC and A Skyrocket with the latter being the more plausible. They could extend the Jungala pretty easily if they don't use the existing queue for this attraction.

Another interesting note, it does seem that the park has noticed their lack of indoor attractions since they toyed around with enclosing Sand Serpent, just some food for thought?

I really don't see how this could be a water ride, the named Twisted Tiger alone should give it away that this is a coaster. The only way I could see this having any water if it were an Intamin Aquatrax (which one could dream right?), that would seriously be an awesome addition to the park, however, unlikely that it would happen. I think it's clearly between RMC and A Skyrocket with the latter being the more plausible. They could extend the Jungala pretty easily if they don't use the existing queue for this attraction.

Another interesting note, it does seem that the park has noticed their lack of indoor attractions since they toyed around with enclosing Sand Serpent, just some food for thought?
It probably will be a Skyrocket. It wouldn't be that exciting or have very good capacity, but it is most likely.

If they can afford an indoor attraction, that'd be awesome. Maybe one could be built on the former Rhino Rally plot. But dark rides require a lot of effects, which can be costly.

It probably will be a Skyrocket. It wouldn't be that exciting or have very good capacity, but it is most likely.

If they can afford an indoor attraction, that'd be awesome. Maybe one could be built on the former Rhino Rally plot. But dark rides require a lot of effects, which can be costly.

The SkyRocket is a fun ride...but has HORRIBLE capacity. Problem is they've already built two of these at their other parks, so it almost seems inevitable for Florida.

The SkyRocket is a fun ride...but has HORRIBLE capacity. Problem is they've already built two of these at their other parks, so it almost seems inevitable for Florida.
There's still a slight chance it could be something other than a SkyRocket. SeaWorld San Diego just built one this year, but SeaWorld Orlando went with a more expensive shoot-the-chutes river raft ride instead. And SWO has been having much better attendance than SSD, just as BGT has better attendance than BGW.

That's enough for me to keep my fingers crossed for a themed water ride.

I would have thought that if any of the SEAS parks suited the 3rd Sky Rocket II, it would be SeaWorld San Antonio.
I can see that. Their attendance is about the same as BGW's, so a SkyRocket for them would make more sense.

They especially got the shaft with their Journey to Atlantis ride. Compared to the ones at Orlando and San Diego, their version is LAAAAAMMME.