Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

TEA Attendance 2017

TEA gave Magic Kingdom only a 0.3% increase.

This image is from the TPU article which they got from the TEA release.

Screen-Shot-2018-05-17-at-10.59.40-AM.png

Universal barely broke the top ten stateside....this should really put fire under their butt.
In North America the top 9 are usually Disney and Universal. 10th is usually Sea World but this year it is Knotts.

The figures might be horribly wrong, but they are widely quoted and pretty much the only ones available.

Last edited:
Which is why I totally ignore them. The industry overall is doing well. IDGAF about TEA's attendance besides to talk to people in the know and laugh over them.
You're looking at things from your point of view - the one where you have insiders to talk to who may know actuals. You're basically saying "Hah! Fake numbers, i'm gonna go talk about the real ones with insiders" to an entire forum of people who will most likely never see any numbers beyond the TEA numbers.

This is what we've got publicly and just because they are estimates doesn't mean we can't talk about the interesting aspects that it may show, while also taking it with a grain of salt.

For example, Volcano Bay debuting at 1.5M and all other Orlando water parks seeing declines makes sense and is good for Universal. I don't know how close they were to that actual number, but since the ACTUAL numbers will never make it public, this is what we have to talk about.

Skipping actual numbers, if there is an insider that can create a top 10 US theme parks list by attendance we would all enjoy seeing it.

I meant worldwide...my bad but still I know these are estimates but still....
I realize that after I posted. I went back and added on my post that it was domestic. I never even think about the overseas parks so I automatically assume domestic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw this on the other forums..this is based of TEA and really highlights certain things...

1526567004349-png.284381
I think your image is broken. I can’t see it on my laptop or phone.

Some interesting things happening in China. I consider myself a pretty big theme park fan, but I hadn’t heard of Ocean Kingdom before. Yet, it’s the 11th most visited theme park in the world.

I find it a little hard to believe that a Chinese park won’t overtake Magic Kingdom in the next couple decades. Probably much sooner.

Attendance means nothing. Doesn’t matter if TEA is accurate or not. It’s just a number to puff out the chest to. It’s a tool to measure trends - but not a sign of outright success or failure.

I compare it to interceptions in football. Everyone pays attention to the number of interceptions to gauge a cornerback’s success - when they should be paying attention to the QB’s rating against the cornerback to measure success.

Attendance is the interceptions in this case.

Attendance means nothing. Doesn’t matter if TEA is accurate or not. It’s just a number to puff out the chest to. It’s a tool to measure trends - but not a sign of outright success or failure.

I compare it to interceptions in football. Everyone pays attention to the number of interceptions to gauge a cornerback’s success - when they should be paying attention to the QB’s rating against the cornerback to measure success.

Attendance is the interceptions in this case.

Well said, and probably one of the best examples of attendance meaning nothing is Freestyle Music Park. Since I remember that summer where pictures were being posted on screamscape of the park looking -packed-. (Hard Rock Park would've killed to have had half of the crowds you were seeing in these pics.) But the catch to all those crowds were they were due to a special deal for 4th of July which let people get in for dirt cheap, and the park extended that deal well after that, losing money hand over fist. So the park not only closed, but it closed in a worse state then Hard Rock Park did the year before.