Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 210 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the only King Kong movie made by Universal is the 2005 one. The classic was Paramount.

The original was RKO who sold their pre-1963 library to Universal making Universal the owner of the property. They gave permission to Paramount to produce the Jessica Lange on in the 70s as well as distributed Kong Vs Godzilla.

The rights over the character did not flare up again until 1975, when Universal and Dino De Laurentiis were fighting over who would be able to do a King Kong remake for release the following year. De Laurentiis came up with $200,000 to buy the remake rights from RKO. When Universal got wind of this, they filed a lawsuit against RKO claiming that they had a verbal agreement from them regarding the remake. During the legal battles that followed, which eventually included RKO countersuing Universal, as well as De Laurentiis filing a lawsuit claiming interference, Colonel Richard Cooper (Merian's son and now head of the Cooper estate) jumped into the fray.

During the battles, Universal discovered that the copyright of the Lovelace novelization had expired without renewal, thus making the King Kong story a public domain one. Universal argued that they should be able to make a movie based on the novel without infringing on anyone's copyright because the characters in the story were in the public domain within the context of the public domain story. Richard Cooper then filed a cross-claim against RKO claiming while the publishing rights to the novel had not been renewed, his estate still had control over the plot/story of King Kong.

In a four-day bench trial in Los Angeles, Judge Manuel Real made the final decision and gave his verdict on November 24, 1976, affirming that the King Kong novelization and serialization were indeed in the public domain, and Universal could make its movie as long as it did not infringe on original elements in the 1933 RKO film, which had not passed into public domain.(Universal postponed their plans to film a King Kong movie, called The Legend of King Kong, for at least 18 months, after cutting a deal with Dino De Laurentiis that included a percentage of box office profits from his remake.)

However, on December 6, 1976, Judge Real made a subsequent ruling, which held that all the rights in the name, character, and story of King Kong (outside of the original film and its sequel) belonged to Merian C. Cooper's estate. This ruling, which became known as the "Cooper Judgment," expressly stated that it would not change the previous ruling that publishing rights of the novel and serialization were in the public domain. It was a huge victory that affirmed the position Merian C. Cooper had maintained for years. Shortly thereafter, Richard Cooper sold all his rights (excluding worldwide book and periodical publishing rights) to Universal in December 1976. In 1980 Judge Real dismissed the claims that were brought forth by RKO and Universal four years earlier and reinstated the Cooper judgement.

Last edited:
The original was RKO who sold their pre-1963 library to Universal making Universal the owner of the property. They gave permission to Paramount to produce the Jessica Lange on in the 70s as well as distributed Kong Vs Godzilla.
Doesn’t change that the only one that Universal made themselves was 2005.

I just think seeing Kong taking on Godzilla in an all out battle animatronic style would sound cool but AA’s are not that advanced yet in terms of Universal’s technology to come to life. Yes the JP Dino’s AA’s are great, Kong-from USF used to be, and IOA(2016), E.T, Jaws, will we ever see one day Universal take AA’s to the next level in terms of faster movement? How about an Indominus Rex Advanced AA coming straight st you being in a gyrosphere from JW scratching it up dropping you up and down. If only technology would ever be advanced one day. Lol we all might not be alive to see AA’s at that level. Maybe the use of 3D screens is a good thing since AA’s cannot to that far with experience for theme park guests.

I just think seeing Kong taking on Godzilla in an all out battle animatronic style would sound cool but AA’s are not that advanced yet in terms of Universal’s technology to come to life. Yes the JP Dino’s AA’s are great, Kong-from USF used to be, and IOA(2016), E.T, Jaws, will we ever see one day Universal take AA’s to the next level in terms of faster movement? How about an Indominus Rex Advanced AA coming straight st you being in a gyrosphere from JW scratching it up dropping you up and down. If only technology would ever be advanced one day. Lol we all might not be alive to see AA’s at that level. Maybe the use of 3D screens is a good thing since AA’s cannot to that far with experience for theme park guests.
My first thought for a Godzilla vs Kong ride would be a ride vehicle trying to avoid the mass destruction around such a battle with only glimpses of the battle itself. You would certainly get to hear it. Maybe getting further away towards the end of the ride and finally getting to see the climax of the battle.

Or imagine both of them as animatronic heads possibly at the end eyeballing you as Kong is saving us.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole ownership He-Man/She-ra thing with Dreamworks. I know Dreamworks got ownership of the stuff from Filmation(the studio that produced the shows) when they acquired Classic Media, but doesn't Mattel own the brands?

I’m starting to think that this park may be more balanced than we thought. You potentially have two lands based around adult IP’s (LOTR, Classic Monsters), two lands based around kid IP’s (Nintendo, Dreamworks), and a couple lands featuring both (Sci-Fi, something else).

To add to the growing Monsters Land love, the Classic Monsters are probably the easiest IP to make rides off of. You got Dracula (already getting a flying coaster over in Beijing. Could we get a clone?), Werewolves (screams coaster), Black Lagoon (water ride), and Frankenstein (dark ride). You’d think that Universal sees this, and they’ll hope to capitalize.

Lastly, any chance that we get a Waterworld show clone? Seems like they’re popular.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole ownership He-Man/She-ra thing with Dreamworks. I know Dreamworks got ownership of the stuff from Filmation(the studio that produced the shows) when they acquired Classic Media, but doesn't Mattel own the brands?

Essentially after spending time reading multiple He-Man forums....Dreamworks and Mattel both own the IP until 2023 which the rights of full ownership goes to Dreamworks. For every toy made, Dreamworks gets a licensing fee while for all the shows and movie being made Mattel gets a licensing fee.

I’m starting to think that this park may be more balanced than we thought. You potentially have two lands based around adult IP’s (LOTR, Classic Monsters), two lands based around kid IP’s (Nintendo, Dreamworks), and a couple lands featuring both (Sci-Fi, something else).

To add to the growing Monsters Land love, the Classic Monsters are probably the easiest IP to make rides off of. You got Dracula (already getting a flying coaster over in Beijing. Could we get a clone?), Werewolves (screams coaster), Black Lagoon (water ride), and Frankenstein (dark ride). You’d think that Universal sees this, and they’ll hope to capitalize.

Lastly, any chance that we get a Waterworld show clone? Seems like they’re popular.
It has been suggested in the MoM/FFL discussion that the Wizarding World might appear at the new park, possibly as Fantastic Beasts.

If Universal keeps passing on Fantastic Beasts that might leave open the possibility of someone else getting the rights to put it in their parks.

I'd imagine that FB is under the same deal as HP. I don't think it matters if they use it or not.

Personally, I think HP at the current resort and FB at the new one is the best route to take to keep them as their own lands.

Second movie looks to be far better.

In opposite world.

I’ll add: I’ve heard absolutely nothing about FB going into Park 3. AFAIK the DC replacement and MoM (should that actually happen), will be he end of Potter at UOR.

I also would not be counting the LOTR chickens before they hatch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.