Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion

Maybe they can have the pre show actors come on board and act as a skipper and just make fun of the ride the whole time. That may save this.

A great and a lousy skipper on Jungle Cruise, Jaws or Kongfrontation made all the difference in the world. My concern would be that those rides had physical elements to interact with compared to a screen.

Only thing that doesn’t add up as 3D for a budget savings is the removal of 3D for FJ in USH. Feels like they’re adjusting what they can.

I think they traded 3D for double the frame rate in FJ. Same projectors.

3D in the tunnel is probably twice as many projectors as there is now.

I think they traded 3D for double the frame rate in FJ. Same projectors.

3D in the tunnel is probably twice as many projectors as there is now.
Yeah if you look up in the 360 room you can see the empty bays where the second set of projectors would be.

Preface: Haven't ridden it and won't until later this year at the earliest.

Question: For those who have, would you rate this as the biggest letdown/disappointment of a new ride in either UNI/IOA/WDW? I was trying to think of other rides that appeared to have as many negative reviews. The Little Mermaid ride in MK wasn't well received. Can't really think of any others.

Question: For those who have, would you rate this as the biggest letdown/disappointment of a new ride in either UNI/IOA/WDW? I was trying to think of other rides that appeared to have as many negative reviews. The Little Mermaid ride in MK wasn't well received. Can't really think of any others.
No, because I already knew what the ride was going to be like.

Actually, Dolby 3D doesn't require special screen coatings like polarized do (thats one of the pluses they advertise). But the glasses are way more expensive.

While that’s true, the Christie-branded projectors that Universal now uses do not support Dolby 3D. Christie’s 3DLP projectors are being used and support 3D projection as is, but they require the even-more-expensive battery powered Active 3D shutter glasses to be used for stereoscopic viewing. No additional projectors or special screens are needed.

Those glasses cost $50 each wholesale from the manufacturer and the batteries last about 10 hours of usage. I’m going to bet that’s one of the big reasons 3D wasn’t implemented on this. There hasn’t been a new 3D install in the Orlando parks since Fallon, which was the last to use Dolby 3D.

While that’s true, the Christie-branded projectors that Universal now uses do not support Dolby 3D. Christie’s 3DLP projectors are being used and support 3D projection as is, but they require the even-more-expensive battery powered Active 3D shutter glasses to be used for stereoscopic viewing. No additional projectors or special screens are needed.

Those glasses cost $50 each wholesale from the manufacturer and the batteries last about 10 hours of usage. I’m going to bet that’s one of the big reasons 3D wasn’t implemented on this. There hasn’t been a new 3D install in the Orlando parks since Fallon, which was the last to use Dolby 3D.
The Universal IMAX at USH has Christie laser projectors & Dolby 3D using the same glasses as Transformers etc. Dolby 3D requires dichroic filters in front of the lens but can be done on almost any type of projector with proper color correction.

Preface: Haven't ridden it and won't until later this year at the earliest.

Not a big let-down for me. My expectations were low and I considered it an improvement over what was there.

My biggest letdowns was the refurbished Hulk. I expected a smooth ride but it banged my head around almost as much as before.

Not a big let-down for me. My expectations were low and I considered it an improvement over what was there.

My biggest letdowns was the refurbished Hulk. I expected a smooth ride but it banged my head around almost as much as before.

That is good to know. Of course, I read bad reviews of Kong and enjoyed it a great deal. For that matter, I like riding The Little Mermaid (no pun intended). It's not a bad ride and usually has a shorter line. I didn't notice head-banging on Hulk but it might have just been where I was sitting. The next time I go, I'll probably give F&F a ride.

That is good to know. Of course, I read bad reviews of Kong and enjoyed it a great deal. For that matter, I like riding The Little Mermaid (no pun intended). It's not a bad ride and usually has a shorter line. I didn't notice head-banging on Hulk but it might have just been where I was sitting. The next time I go, I'll probably give F&F a ride.
It is cheesy and cartoony. But it's not a bad ride and it is something I will go on every trip down there. Since I was not riding Disaster I considered a net plus in the attraction column for me.

Christie demonstrated a dual-laser Dolby 3D system in 2015.

I'm surprised by the amount of people who complain about Hulk being rough... Maybe I just got used to rougher coasters being from Ohio, but I'd never consider Hulk rough.

Christie demonstrated a dual-laser Dolby 3D system in 2015.

While you’re correct, Dolby Vision was done in partnership with Dolby, featured only in Dolby products, and isn’t a feature in products offered or supplied by Christie. Universal would have to go through Dolby to get them and that contract is done. The last Dolby installs I know of are Forbidden Journey Hollywood, Kong, and Fallon.

Contractually, it’s all Christie products on new installs/replacements. The new FJ Orlando projectors are Christie, F&F are Christie.

Here comes my backtracking though. Admittedly it’s been a couple of years since I’ve been in the parks. Have there been any new 3D attractions installed or updated since Fallon? I’m wondering what they’ll do once the Dolby projectors start wearing out. Will they strike a deal with Dolby to replace and continue using/upgrade to Dolby Vision, or switch to Christie’s 3D tech? What about older non-Dolby Vision projectors like Spidey, Shrek, and Transformers?

As I understood it... dolby 3d is nothing more than filters through which any projector projects. The dolby glasses in turn interprets the filtered projection to each eye. I have never heard of Universal using anything other than Christie projectors.

While you’re correct, Dolby Vision was done in partnership with Dolby, featured only in Dolby products, and isn’t a feature in products offered or supplied by Christie. Universal would have to go through Dolby to get them and that contract is done. The last Dolby installs I know of are Forbidden Journey Hollywood, Kong, and Fallon.

Contractually, it’s all Christie products on new installs/replacements. The new FJ Orlando projectors are Christie, F&F are Christie.

Here comes my backtracking though. Admittedly it’s been a couple of years since I’ve been in the parks. Have there been any new 3D attractions installed or updated since Fallon? I’m wondering what they’ll do once the Dolby projectors start wearing out. Will they strike a deal with Dolby to replace and continue using/upgrade to Dolby Vision, or switch to Christie’s 3D tech? What about older non-Dolby Vision projectors like Spidey, Shrek, and Transformers?
Dolby is just a trademark name, like Real 3D or Disney 3D. The process itself is not patented. Its simply shifting the color wavelength. Infitec uses it. The reason you rarely see it in Cinemas is due to the cost of the glasses. And the 3 you quoted already use that process, even with non-dolby projectors (looking through those glasses you can see the color shifts)