T2:3D - Battle Across Time Memorial Thread | Page 99 | Inside Universal Forums

T2:3D - Battle Across Time Memorial Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This is where Universal really drops the ball. Yes, synergy is important, but you can't base every attraction on your current IPs...especially when many of them aren't good. I get the whole "lets build the new flash-in-the-pan movie attraction" but there really should be a balance between current IPs and classic IPs. Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, and Jaws are timeless. You can put in a crummy Jason Bourne attraction but why not build a BTTF coaster too?
To be fair, Bourne has spawned several sequels, and is apparently getting a new show on TV

And also, Universal will never be concerned with nostalgia like Disney

I hate that BTTF is not an attraction anymore, one example of a property that I believe Universal took the wrong path on

Yea, getting Fallon and F&F back to back sucked. But I'll take those when I got Hogsmeade, Diagon, Transformers, Kong, VB, the redone CityWalk, more hotel choices, upgraded Spider-Man, upgraded Hulk, FFB, a (hopefully) good USF nightshow, the nighttime lights at Hogwarts, and the Potter coaster.
Really unpopular opinion here, but I honestly take no issues with Fallon or F&F. They're screens, oh well! You can't really do a physical-centric ride with the type of real estate the Fallon building has, and while I laughed at Vin Diesel being as big as a helicopter, I will have to admit that I found Supercharged to be really immersive; the second show scene even got a "wow" out of me.

Really unpopular opinion here, but I honestly take no issues with Fallon or F&F. They're screens, oh well! You can't really do a physical-centric ride with the type of real estate the Fallon building has, and while I laughed at Vin Diesel being as big as a helicopter, I will have to admit that I found Supercharged to be really immersive; the second show scene even got a "wow" out of me.

Fallon, I agree. Same with despicable me. They are limited by space and will always be screen based attractions.
F&F. No excuse- more than enough room. USF didn’t need another indoor screen attraction. IoA did, desperately, which Kong helped fill the need. But F&F should’ve been an outdoor attraction of some type and physical- which is what USF is lacking in comparison. Fire, speed, etc. Your opinion is definitely unpopular here. :)
But... welcome to IU!

Ugh! Its not a helicopter. It's a drone. Its the poor storytelling that confuses everyone

Universal needs to be more nostalgic.
I don't think they've ever been rewarded for doing so...and therefore, they don't do it

Disney (theme parks wise) has been around longer than Universal...I would give them more time to build up to it...

I feel Harry Potter may be our first "classic" that is around when we are much older

Also, I wouldn't completely dismiss Universal's nostalgia...I mean, they did bring back Kong and appear to have interest in investing in JP/JW

We keep talking about BttF, but everyone seems to be forgetting that its "future" was three years ago. They only viable ways to do it would be:

A ) create some impossibly futuristic view of the future that either breaks canon or is completely unbelievable

B ) only go to the past, which is far less interesting.

Nevermind that the main characters, who are necessary to make any of this work, are 30 years older. Unless Jules and Verne are our ride narrators, but even still. What would be the point?

Agreed! I’m still bitter about BTTF going away for the Simpsons. Although the Springfield area is pretty cool. Why couldn’t they have just gone the other way with the attraction and taken over Animal Actors on Location with something different? :)

Universal wanted to move into new franchises and they wanted to cash in on the Simpsons, which is still ongoing as of today. BTTF, as popular as it is, was getting outdated by the mid-2000s and 2015 was approaching near so it made things a bit awkward for Universal if we continue to ride it past 2015. Also, look at the BTTF queue videos for example, you can clearly see in the age of HD TV and the early years of streaming service, how they looked like they were shot in the 1980s.

Unlike Disney, Universal attractions are based on IPs that were and are clearly connected with the general, modern audience rather than children/fantasy rides and touch Disney has. So Universal has to adapt and survive in order to keep the crowds coming in and bringing in more money.

Universal got the international rights for Bond 25. I know it doesn't translate to US rights, but is it possible Bond is still in play for this replacement?

I mean, Twister was distributed by Universal internationally and it had its own attraction in USF until it was replaced by Jimmy Fallon. However, it does say that the replacement would be based on a "Universal franchise", which is still ambiguous to me what really constitutes it. Maybe something like Jason Borne?

Reactions: DK745