Goodbye Globe Theater | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Goodbye Globe Theater

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You're not thinking 4th dimensionally... just back it some type of bridge for the attraction in order to keep the existing frankenstein escalators and drop off area :lol:

This could allow for consistent theming across the parks.
I'll bet the ride will fit into the existing building...which we have seen can have limiting factors on experience quality for USH (Mummy anyone???).
You say consistent themeing, i say lazy unnecessary cloning (which was only cool in the 90s because the rides/attractions were better)
And hey now, our mummy here is great. Just because they went cheap for the ending doesn't make it any less fun. Be thankful Murdy didn't welcome us back via video screen like brendan fraiser

Just throwing this out for fun as a possible way to connect Globe Theatre to the Saddle Ranch plot. Of course, the pick-up/drop-off and road leading up will need to be graded to match and the upper segments of the escalators will need to be diverted.

View attachment 6753

I am not going to oppose your opinion, but this layout has many more logistical challenges...

First, Despicable Me sits on top of Frankenstein Parking Garage which has all the foot traffic cross along the Globe Theater and the Main Gate.

Second, the Globe Theater is a 3 level structure which has the Frankenstein Dock located on the lower level. Downstairs there are elevators and refrigerated storage for the venue and is the only dock access on the west end of the park. Not to say that this stuff cannot be relocated, but it seems highly unlikely.

Third, remember that the Saddle Ranch building was located in this spot long before Citywalk existed. Remember Fung Lum's Restaurant? Universal Studios was a different destination in those days...

I would expect Saddle Ranch to become an all new food venue or an extension to the VIP parking lot before I see that area encompassed into the main theme park.

The ONLY thing I could see a separate plot like this being used for theme park use would be for steel beams of a roller coaster extension into the main gate area...and after we all stop laughing, we know that is never going to happen at this park!!! LOL

My guess is that the Globe Theater structure is not going to change as the plot in this area is extremely limited and the building next to it is brand new. I'll bet the ride will fit into the existing building...which we have seen can have limiting factors on experience quality for USH (Mummy anyone???).

Call me crazy, but I actually do think we'll see a tear-down of the structure. The only other way I can see that building stay, is if it's being extended (think how Fallon gutted the entirety of Twister and extended it out).

My hope for the ride which takes the place of the Globe Theater is that Walking Dead will be removed in favor of taking over the queue space for the new ride...allowing the Globe Theater to entirely house all of its footprint for the attraction. This building is the size of a restaurant venue...its not huge and there isn't a lot of space to grow unless the ride goes multi-level like Transformers. I know the original design of SLoP was to have a multilevel building allowing for the queue to be lower level and the ride only on the upper level. The Globe Theater may not support that large of an attraction.

My hope for the ride which takes the place of the Globe Theater is that Walking Dead will be removed in favor of taking over the queue space for the new ride...allowing the Globe Theater to entirely house all of its footprint for the attraction. This building is the size of a restaurant venue...its not huge and there isn't a lot of space to grow unless the ride goes multi-level like Transformers. I know the original design of SLoP was to have a multilevel building allowing for the queue to be lower level and the ride only on the upper level. The Globe Theater may not support that large of an attraction.

Actually they are considering of removing the walking dead if they need to for SloP. it’s a 50/50 chance the walking dead will be gone if they decide to extend the building. Also I did hear in the near future Persians square will be removed for another illumination attraction.

Actually they are considering of removing the walking dead if they need to for SloP. it’s a 50/50 chance the walking dead will be gone if they decide to extend the building. Also I did hear in the near future Persians square will be removed for another illumination attraction.

Parisian Courtyard has space, if they'd do it in diagonal form.

Losing TWDA makes sense, if only to give more space for not just Pet's, but for dining/retail.

Globe..is the interesting thing.

I can easily see it get axed entirely and start from scratch, for a more reinforced structure. But I could see them play the Fallon card, depending on how things work out.

That makes no sense. The Walking Dead opened two years ago and now Universal wants to tear it down in order to make room for SLOP? Spending things like animatronics, sets, zombies, hands, etc, only to be torn down just two years? Seems like a waste and USH would no longer have a maze in the park as it was once famous for decades. Where is USH gonna put a maze in? Maybe Universal shouldn't have torn down House of Horrors just to make room to expand their stores, which are just ordinary stores like Universal has already in the park.

Reactions: marip123
That makes no sense. The Walking Dead opened two years ago and now Universal wants to tear it down in order to make room for SLOP? Spending things like animatronics, sets, zombies, hands, etc, only to be torn down just two years? Seems like a waste and USH would no longer have a maze in the park as it was once famous for decades. Where is USH gonna put a maze in? Maybe Universal shouldn't have torn down House of Horrors just to make room to expand their stores, which are just ordinary stores like Universal has already in the park.

If I'm not mistaken, TWDA wasn't meant to be as a set-piece of something larger, and was only a small part of the changes that came in with Universal Blvd P1 (Phase 1).

Yeah I expected them to close down TWD eventually. It's way too short and a property like that only has its charm during Halloween.

If I'm not mistaken, TWDA wasn't meant to be as a set-piece of something larger, and was only a small part of the changes that came in with Universal Blvd P1 (Phase 1).

So I guess Universal isn't going to have a first permanent maze in a long time since it was considered traditional decades ago. Maybe they shouldn't have demolished the large House of Horrors maze just to expand their stores that no one would possibly be interested in, no different than any store in the park. What a waste of space and the potential it could have utilized for an attraction.

Reactions: marip123
The ONLY reason TWDA existed in the first place was to soak in the Potter crowds. The same reason TF was rushed in Orlando to open prior to Diagon Alley. TWDA has served it's purpose, the building is just a big warehouse that could easily be connected to the globe if need be.

For the record, I haven't heard this but this wouldn't surprise me. SLOP could use the space, pretty badly. Like Kyle said, TWDA can be easily scooped up and tossed out, and why wouldn't Universal? The property is tanking in popularity, it has low GSATs in both the regular days and HHN and requires entertainment and TMs to both be hired for it.

I'm going to go even more bold: what if London goes goodbye in favor of New York? The NY street is a goner soon, after all, and Parisian Courtyard and French Street might be paved over for more Illumination. It's crazy to think USH might be still wanting to mess with the Upper Lot after all these years of constant construction but you gotta fight Galaxy's Edge and Marvel with something and apparently Diagon Alley and Nintendo are not it at the moment.

Reactions: Chris
I could see the Globe structure remaining and the façade rethemed to New York for SLoP. I also agree that an Illumination Land would be much more marketable against Marvel as opposed to just SLoP.

Remove Mel's. Remove Parisian. Remove TWD. Character Dining in the VIP Dining area across from SSFL. Its perfect!

I say move Mels to the current Animal Actors spot, rebuilt like the Florida one (throw some cars out front). Knock out the remainder of the Streets of the World and build something there.

I say move Mels to the current Animal Actors spot, rebuilt like the Florida one (throw some cars out front). Knock out the remainder of the Streets of the World and build something there.

It has come to my understanding that while we will be getting something, it’s going to be minimal. Probably Dreamworks Theater is size, but it will be a ride instead of a show. I want Mel’s to go as well as the entire west end of the park. But, our dreams may be over ambitious.

Last edited:
Reactions: alias8703
I hope whatever it is ends up as a fun re-ridable people eater. Just because it has been downgraded doesn't mean it won't be highly enjoyable.

Reactions: Ron101
I agree that I think TWDA is in serious jeopardy of being removed for SLoP. For one, they obviously could use the space. Secondly, say they just use the Globe Theater space and let TWD live a bit longer. Once they decide to get rid of it in five years, what now? Globe will have already been taken for SLoP, so now there would be no place to expand. All they have now is that tiny building to work with. The MOST they could get out of that space is another maze, or if they're really ambitious with it, another simulator. I think USH is now beyond just walk-thru houses and is burned out on simulators, so I think the best option for them in the long run is to dump the unpopular attraction. I'll kinda miss TWD as it was a nice filler attraction to kill some time, but I won't be sad it all when it leaves. I would be surprised if it lasts another year.

As for Paraisian being replaced, while it's not a lot of space, they could pull another SLoP and have another dark ride in that space with the queue and eateries at the bottom and the ride up top. I hope and pray they don't use it for another simulator because we have reached our max on that. Maybe they could use it for that Villain Con ride USF is rumored to get or even the Lorax ride IoA was supposed to have a while back. That area will likely become an Illumination land so I could see them doing that.

From what it sounds like, I love the direction USH is going: maximize any space it can get for more rides! :)

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
With all this talk, and a maze in Parisian, I don't think we will see any movement on this until 2019. Imagine having all this area under construction for Eve. Plus, one of the firework locations was the Globe Theater!