Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion | Page 192 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Well I’m still not convinced HDD is coming. Happy to be proven wrong, but something about this seems....off.

The clue from @Legacy was a little too on the nose. That’s not his style. Plus, given the clue was “sleight”, as in “to deceive”, I think a lot of people have been duped. In addition, @Legacy was hinting he was really proud and excited about this clue in the week leading up to it being released, so for it to be as obvious as HDD doesn’t seem right to me.

I did try exploring alternatives to HDD, and getting away from the Groundhog style clue. I got as far with my thinking as something that takes some effort to be done at the same time every so often, like a ritual or event. I actually thought about Lost, and how they have to keep entering the code to stop the bunker exploding. This took effort, and had to be done at a certain time in an endless cycle.

Unfortunately I can’t think of any horror films that fit this kind of pattern, other than non-starters like The Purge (annual event, starts and finishes same time), or something with werewolves and the full moon cycle (but given TrT this seems wrong).

Any thoughts (other than HDD)? If nothing it’s good to discuss other possibilities while we wait for the next announcement.

Last edited:
Minus trademark. What else was controversial about her?

The marketing, or how well the marketing was, I think, was where the controversy really stroke a chord.

The marketing for 18, was truly terrifying if you didn't know what it was for. And that I give them credit, but it took things to a level that was..rather unorthodox.

Probably not...I remember some controversy with the IP

The only way I can see BM return, is if NBCU/Comcast settled with the holders of Bloody Mary, because if I'm not mistaken, it was a merch issue.

Either that, or they bought the merch rights.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Wading back in on clue 8, and the plethora of R&M gifs. To me they all seem to be gifs where R&M have parodied films. Coupled with the announcement videos with static, and the #bekindrewind messages floating around, are we looking at a clip show maze like they have done in the past? This could be a reason why there’s been so much confusion over IPs this year - they don’t have their own house, but in a mashup/clipshow house instead? If so, then are we looking at the Director making a comeback?

The marketing, or how well the marketing was, I think, was where the controversy really stroke a chord.

The marketing for 18, was truly terrifying if you didn't know what it was for. And that I give them credit, but it took things to a level that was..rather unorthodox.

The only way I can see BM return, is if NBCU/Comcast settled with the holders of Bloody Mary, because if I'm not mistaken, it was a merch issue.

Either that, or they bought the merch rights.

It's already been posted that there is no current copyright held for attractions for Bloody Mary. Just one for jewelry

It's already been posted that there is no current copyright held for attractions for Bloody Mary. Just one for jewelry
From what I know Universal owns Dr. Mary Agana, but not Bloody Mary...So, technically she could return

All I'll say is that she wasn't used in any promo material for any anniversary year since, so she will probably not return ever

I could see it happening that way; the motorcycle riders in New York would fit in and with a little bit of theming they could make it look like Santa Clarita(although I’d rather see TLB as a house).

Edit: So as far as IP codenames go we have:

- Surprise = Happy Death Day
- Dynamite = Trick ‘r Treat
- Fireball = Stranger Things
- Coach = ?

I think if there’s hope for TLB this year & it possibly becomes the new TrT I’m imagining we’d get the Santa Carla boardwalk in Hollywood. If it has to be a SZ I’d rather see it in NY cause it’s (or, at least, it feels) bigger, I just feel like it might fit better in Hollywood. If AOV is going in FFL & there’s no 2nd show I’m sure they’ll take their stage space to expand the SZ, i.e. build the billboard, or just expand the space for whatever SZ gets that street.

Also, it has been said before, but if this is a nostalgia year I really hope AOV does “Thriller” in a big, big way.

From what I know Universal owns Dr. Mary Agana, but not Bloody Mary...So, technically she could return

All I'll say is that she wasn't used in any promo material for any anniversary year since, so she will probably not return ever

They didn’t use her in 25 because they didn’t renew the copyright. Although they easily could’ve used Mary Agana instead but Bloody Mary was creepier

Dr. Mary Agana was created by Mike Aiello. The Trademark, not copyright, was for the words Bloody Mary in use at a Halloween attractions mainly haunted houses. It was a standard mark. That means it was a trademark for the words Bloody Mary without any specialized design or font or look.

There may still be a tshirt trademark, but that can be worked around. The "Say my name" tshirt or the one with "Mary, Mary, Mary" wouldn't fall under a standard Bloody Mary mark as those shirts didn't use Bloody Mary.

Dr. Mary Agana was created by Mike Aiello. The Trademark, not copyright, was for the words Bloody Mary in use at a Halloween attractions mainly haunted houses. It was a standard mark. That means it was a trademark for the words Bloody Mary without any specialized design or font or look.

There may still be a tshirt trademark, but that can be worked around. The "Say my name" tshirt or the one with "Mary, Mary, Mary" wouldn't fall under a standard Bloody Mary mark as those shirts didn't use Bloody Mary.
Yeah, I was kind of elluding to this with my last post

Mary Agana = UO
Bloody Mary = Not UO

So there you go

But the BM trademark for Halloween events died last 10/20?

#icandream

I think I feel the same way about BM returning that you and hunnylvr do about It (and HBR does about Thing).

Last edited:

I remember hearing the radio ads in my car as a child. I was.....intrigued and a bit scared of a simple radio ad, which is hard to achieve.

Also I feel Bloody Mary returning would be out of left field and we seem to be stretching speculation a bit to fit our personal wishes...but what do I know.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95