Solo: A Star Wars Story | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Solo: A Star Wars Story

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think they also can't be like Marvel and release a Star Wars Film only 6 months after another if there's no reason to. Or every year even.

Marvel has a interconnected Universe between all of their films that winds up making all of the Marvel films "must-sees" while also still differentiating each film enough from film to film that sometimes you wouldn't even know that they're made by the same studio.

Star Wars doesn't have that. Star Wars has nostalgia from the Original saga and that's it. Look at the anthology films and it tells you that even LucasFilm thinks that. Rogue One. Solo. Boba Fett. Obi-Wan (rumored). The studio doesn't have any sort of vision beyond "make money".

The only thing we have that could potentially EXPAND the universe coming up is the Rian Johnson Trilogy if that gets made. Right now, it seems as if LucasFilm is lost and is without vision.
Yeah I agree the biggest problem is these anthology films have no real "stakes" (sounds weird given entire cast died in RO) because the OT already happened. They're constrained by the fact that they can't add anything new because the character arcs were already ended in 4-7.

At least with Marvel, their intro films always tie into the current Avengers arc. Black Panther, Dr Strange, and presumably Captain Marvel all introduce their characters and then drop them off into the current Avengers storyline by the end.

With SW, the anthology films are basically not necessary to the current SW main plot.

I think Disney would have been much wiser to make the anthology films for a global streaming service with budgets in the $100-125m range.

Solo feels like it'd work best in that kind of situation. Heck, it would justify multiple sequels in that kind of setup, whereas there's no way to justify a sequel with the current projected box office.

Boba Fett and Obi Wan are the same; make them for $100-125m and put them on a steaming service.

I hope Disney realizes that post-SW9 they need to make sure all the theatrical releases should tie into a relevant plotline, not a lapsed plotline.

I've seen the original movies many times. The first two new movies were big disappointments to me. Rogue one was no big deal. Solo is my jumping off point. Just have no interest in seeing it. I will see the last movie in the trilogy just to be complete.

Reactions: tankart150
Is it crazy to think that Solo could actually be harmful to SW9? I mean, between the mixed fan reaction the Episode 8 and the disaster Solo has been from filming to release, it’s possible.

The only thing I think LucasFilm has going in their favor is that for the first time in the Disney-era, there will be over a year between SW films (with this being about a year and a half).

Is it crazy to think that Solo could actually be harmful to SW9? I mean, between the mixed fan reaction the Episode 8 and the disaster Solo has been from filming to release, it’s possible.

The only thing I think LucasFilm has going in their favor is that for the first time in the Disney-era, there will be over a year between SW films (with this being about a year and a half).

More so they have to figure out how to make Star Wars big as it flopped hard in 4 major terrorities and potentially may also negatively affect their reaction in Japan

Wow. People really were turned off to this one. Solo opened to only an estimated $83.3M. I wouldn’t be surprised if, like me, many people who had planned to go see it, just decided not to because of both word of mouth and bc of just asking myself “Why?”.

It opened about $20M lower than Disney’s LOWERED estimate and $70M below their original estimate. This is pretty unprecedented that a high profile movie opens so much lower than a studios estimates.

They will likely have to write Solo off as a rather large loss on the studio side. Yikes.

Wow. People really were turned off to this one. Solo opened to only an estimated $83.3M. I wouldn’t be surprised if, like me, many people who had planned to go see it, just decided not to because of both word of mouth and bc of just asking myself “Why?”.

It opened about $20M lower than Disney’s LOWERED estimate and $70M below their original estimate. This is pretty unprecedented that a high profile movie opens so much lower than a studios estimates.

They will likely have to write Solo off as a rather large loss on the studio side. Yikes.

The only thing putting me off seeing this in the cinema is that I can’t buy the guy playing Solo as Solo.

I’ll probably catch it when it’s on tv or the plane to Orlando in september.

Most of the reviews for it I’ve read have said it’s not great but it’s not bad either. The quick influx of Star Wars has seriously diluted the brand.

I really think the movie would have benefited from a December release. Something about Star Wars identifies more with Christmas season than it does the summer. Also doesn’t help there were 2 Marvel releases this month.

I don’t think it will negatively impact Episode 9. That's a year and a half from now and it’s going to be the conclusion to the new trilogy. But no one really asked for or wanted a Solo prequel. The mixed reactions turned a lot of people away (myself included). I can see myself watching it on Netflix later this year but with other movies coming out this summer, I’m fine with skipping one of the blockbusters

This is very telling. And a big part of why the SW brand may struggle going forward, especially at the rate they are going at.

I think the anger of many fans towards TLJ will affect SW9 unless JJ pulls a surprise turn.

Disney/Lucasfilm sound like they don't want to consider this..., but realistically the only way to prop up SW9 is to probably bring back Luke in a significant fashion.

I think SW9 will do worse than TLJ if there's no teaser that Luke returns. Conversely, if he does come back, I could see SW9 having much better legs than SW8.

As far as the future of Star Wars goes, I think they need to end the anthology films as theatrical releases and shift those to their upcoming streaming service. Then they need to really come up with a long range plan for Star Wars phases that is similar to how Marvel plans out its phases of movies.

Create an overarching story line in the saga and then have separate films that tie into the saga films. No more theatrical films that are completely separate from the main story.

Disney/Lucasfilm sound like they don't want to consider this..., but realistically the only way to prop up SW9 is to probably bring back Luke in a significant fashion.

I think SW9 will do worse than TLJ if there's no teaser that Luke returns. Conversely, if he does come back, I could see SW9 having much better legs than SW8.

I mean Luke will be back. As a ghost. The whiny many babies need to get over it

As someone who loved TLJ (although at first I didnt) I'm sad to say I'm disappointed. It didnt feel like a Star Wars movie at all. Lando was incredibly underused and his relationship with Han was lackluster. It didn't feel like a SW film either, and the score was complete garbage. Officially my least fav. Star Wars film

Just saw the movie. It's a fun watch, but overall I’m not sure how I feel. I thought it was a decent origin story for Han’s character, but Lando was painfully under-untilized. As mentioned above, the score was garbage, too. Easily the worst of any SW movie.

Overall I enjoyed it, though. I think the most important thing is that I was fully able to buy Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo.

I like the Cinemark at Artegon, but if you go at the wrong time, it fills with tourists due to it’s proximity to the Outlets and Millenia. Had some foreigners near us with a crying kid and using their cell phone flashlight frequently during the movie.

About that cameo...
The cameo at the end really felt pointless to me as it was just that - a cameo. It left me wondering on the timeline of things more than anything and also blatantly like a set up for a Darth Maul Anthology Film

Reactions: SeventyOne
I actually thought it was a really entertaining film. Alden did much better than I expected he would in recapturing Solo and Lando was great.

It is time for people to start thinking for themselves and enjoy movies on a more personal level. Don't let "critics" and others always dictate your views on how good a movie is. A "good" movie is incredibly subjective, which makes it important for the viewer to make their own decisions. That being said they should have released this movie at a different time, as Infinity War and Deadpool are strong competitors for viewership. A Christmas release would have been better.

Yeah, release date was incredibly poor. They new Infinity War would be huge and Deadpool was there. Why not move this to December like all other recent SW releases? It likely would’ve done a lot better.

The only issue is that Mary Poppins comes out in December so they would’ve had to reschedule that.

Reactions: Obi Ubamba
Yeah, release date was incredibly poor. They new Infinity War would be huge and Deadpool was there. Why not move this to December like all other recent SW releases? It likely would’ve done a lot better.

The only issue is that Mary Poppins comes out in December so they would’ve had to reschedule that.

Mary Poppins and Star Wars isn't exactly the same audience. Good chance Mary Poppins bombs as well.

Mary Poppins and Star Wars isn't exactly the same audience. Good chance Mary Poppins bombs as well.
Point is Disney shouldn't want to release two live action movies so close together.

And I think there's no chance Poppins bombs. It has Lin-Manuel, it has the nostalgia of the original (although some could argue it's the same as Solo - Emily Blunt is not Julie Andrews), and it also has absolutely NO COMPETITION. The only movie that I think gives it a run for it's money is Into the Spiderverse, which again, i'm not sure how much crossover there is there.

Point is Disney shouldn't want to release two live action movies so close together.

And I think there's no chance Poppins bombs. It has Lin-Manuel, it has the nostalgia of the original (although some could argue it's the same as Solo - Emily Blunt is not Julie Andrews), and it also has absolutely NO COMPETITION. The only movie that I think gives it a run for it's money is Into the Spiderverse, which again, i'm not sure how much crossover there is there.

I just don't think kids are going to care enough. Adults might, but adults don't go to the theater as often. You need the Teenage Demo to make a blockbuster these days.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I just don't think kids are going to care enough. Adults might, but adults don't go to the theater as often. You need the Teenage Demo to make a blockbuster these days.
It doesn't need to be a "blockbuster". The budget was fairly low.

To your point about teens though, that's why they brought on Lin. He appeals mainly to 15-25 year olds, roughly. And Mary Poppins is a movie that specifically appealed to kids to begin with. Not sure why you'd think this would be different. Parents will be looking for something to see at the movies over the holidays with their kids and that will be it.

Reactions: HereWeGo