Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 216 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And splits their profit while tying up their land and potential for more profit. The cost of building the park is almost irrelevant in the long run. Whats a few billion dollars 10 years after it opens? That deal only makes sense if they get a piece of Nintendo in the deal.

While true it does mitigate risk and even in this new golden age of theme parks in Orlando, success is not guaranteed.

Reactions: Mike S
I really hope they pull away from doing the loop or icon based design philosophy and add some new variation of spoke and hub that genuinely makes the master planning for this park unique and next level in terms of design. When you think about what makes an okay park from a great park it really is the little things and conveniences like parade routes and night show areas that don't effect park logistics and operations when they occur. Benches and down areas where its nice to look at at the same time. Vista spots that create great views of the park for social media.

Ultimately, if UC designers take the ecological beauty of Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Eftenling, and Dollywood, combined with the level of theming displayed in Tokyo DisneySea, the wonkiness of the City Museum in Saint Louis, mix it with layouts of Hyde Park, Central Park, and Seoul Forest, while lastly adding in the technological advancements and e-ticket attractions made for today's audience (effecient in park wifi, no more past gen simulators, etc), they would have changed the game.

The best thing is with the IPs they haven't used in parks yet would allow for them to do something like this as they are heavy on nature and natural environments. (LOTR, HTTYD, KFP, Zelda, Croods are just a few examples of that)

When you look at the most successful and innovative design in theme parks in the last 15 years it's Diagon Alley mini land. It's a dead end with a circular shape within it. It is immersive 360 degrees.
The next new land we've seen in concept (Nintendo Land) had the same dead end bubble.
I hope the new Universal park is made up with the same bubbles, maybe centered around a main bubble hub that cleanses the pallet for the next bubble.

When you look at the most successful and innovative design in theme parks in the last 15 years it's Diagon Alley mini land. It's a dead end with a circular shape within it. It is immersive 360 degrees.
The next new land we've seen in concept (Nintendo Land) had the same dead end bubble.
I hope the new Universal park is made up with the same bubbles, maybe centered around a main bubble hub that cleanses the pallet for the next bubble.

I don’t think that SNW will dead-end anymore. One of the major problems with the land was the fact that the DK area was so out of the way and hidden. Most guests wouldn’t know that it was there.

And to contest the whole dead-end theory, just look at TSL and SW:GE. Neither of those lands are dead-ends (actually, they will be for the first two years or so, but that’s besides the point. They aren’t permanent).

Personally, I see the new park having the same structure as the other ones, except more immersive. All the lands surround a central lagoon. Use what has worked in the past to your advantage. Hell, they might even put an island in the middle of the lake to give it some variety. But I don’t see this park being hub-and-spoke.

Personally, I see the new park having the same structure as the other ones, except more immersive. All the lands surround a central lagoon. Use what has worked in the past to your advantage. Hell, they might even put an island in the middle of the lake to give it some variety. But I don’t see this park being hub-and-spoke.

Loop is awful because there is a huge lack in immersion unless you add a huge facade...I shouldn't be able to see Springfield from London nor should I see Hogwarts or Seuss Landing from Marvel Super Hero Island. Theme parks are suppose to be immersive and its the little things that destroy that which is why loop is awful.

Its also the same thing with spoke and hub but the issue with that is the fact the main central hub icon and been seen from everywhere.

Neither of those two concepts in its current form work well in create complete and total immersion. Universal hasn't found out how to properly use IOA's lagoon so I doubt they would think to keep adding lagoons just to have as its all dead space that doesn't add much to consumers (no shade, no transport, nothing)

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Loop is awful because there is a huge lack in immersion unless you add a huge facade...I shouldn't be able to see Springfield from London nor should I see Hogwarts or Seuss Landing from Marvel Super Hero Island. Theme parks are suppose to be immersive and its the little things that destroy that which is why loop is awful.

Its also the same thing with spoke and hub but the issue with that is the fact the main central hub icon and been seen from everywhere.

Neither of those two concepts in its current form work well in create complete and total immersion. Universal hasn't found out how to properly use IOA's lagoon so I doubt they would think to keep adding lagoons just to have as its all dead space that doesn't add much to consumers (no shade, no transport, nothing)

What if they used a river or shaped-lake as the central point? That way you can create barriers between the lands and keep the immersion.

Reactions: quinnmac000
What if they used a river or shaped-lake as the central point? That way you can create barriers between the lands and keep the immersion.
They could do something around a straight canal type thing. Put a road/walkway along each side, with a few bridges at various spots connecting the two sides. Then a few themed lands can be placed on each side with relatively high immersion. Make the entrance be at one end, and put the largest land at the other end with an icon that is visible from the entire long canal/road area but not the individual lands.

Reactions: Magic-Man

A central mountain of some sort would probably work. A mountain doesn't really break the theming on any IP that I can think of. Then the mountain itself could be a hub with shops, rides, or whatever inside.

They could do something around a straight canal type thing. Put a road/walkway along each side, with a few bridges at various spots connecting the two sides. Then a few themed lands can be placed on each side with relatively high immersion. Make the entrance be at one end, and put the largest land at the other end with an icon that is visible from the entire long canal/road area but not the individual lands.

I doubt that Universal would go that route, but still a good idea nonetheless. But if they did, no way that the canal would be straight. They would probably make it wind around the lands, instead of just going next to them.

Or instead of a "round" central hub, a pentagram, or compass rose depending on how many lands, to preserve sight lines. And a buried access road to the center for backlot access.

The dead end approach is why I hate the layout of DHS and they’re slowly correcting that. A half donut shape would allow for an entrance and an exit will still allowing total immersion.

It would be like a hub and spoke model but would resemble a flower shape.

Reactions: Ridgepole
Taking the Islands of Adventure example....I don't think it's a bad layout, however you never really stray much from the main pathway, or basically there's too many places you can look across at the other lands. Jurassic Park is the most immersive just due to the size of it, but MSHI is much smaller and you never feel truly immersed in that area.

Having a main pathway with a lot of smaller pathways, side "streets" etc. would make this better. Yes, people would get lost a bit more often, but that's not always a bad thing

The Ultimate Universal 4th Park - Take-Two.

Park Name: Universal’s Disney Hollywood Studios

Setting/Motive: The main focus of the park is a "Kingdoms" theme, which has been largely rumored. All the lands surround a central hub, that being a Middle-Eastern seaport. A lake stretches out from the hub, of which multiple rivers flow into. Universal would want to keep crowd levels low, seeking to spread guests out between all of the lands. As such, the main headlining IP's (Nintendo and Middle Earth) are located at the very back of the park. A faux-mountain would stretch from the back of Middle Earth to Berk, which lies in the middle of the park. A waterfall would cascade down the mountain, running as a river to the lake. There are a total of nine lands in the park, those are listed below.

Lands

-WonderSea
: The central hub of the park, based on a Middle Eastern seaport. Multiple shops and restaurants would be here, as well as the entrance to the park's transportation ride.

Rides: Universal Transporter - The parks transportation ride. A glorified monorail.

-Sanrio: This is the park's major kiddie land, encompassing multiple rides based on the Hello Kitty franchise and a large play area dedicated to toddlers. Multiple Meet & Greets would be spread throughout the land, and a central restaurant would host live shows every hour.

Rides: Hello Kitty's Adventure - A slow-moving water-dark-ride. No height limit required.

Hello Kitty Spin - The parks teacups ride.

-Transylvania: This is the park's horror area, based on Universal's Classic Monsters. A dark, ruined, foreboding castle towers above the land. The castle also houses the park's thrill coaster, a custom Intamin Impulse coaster, and a dark ride, based around Dracula. A river winds through the land, and is lit up with the lights of flaming torches (can we not ruin them this time? Thanks). There is also a maze that surrounds the castle, promising a prize to whoever manages to complete it (as you can see, I'm taking major inspiration from Beastly Kingdom. :x: Disney).

Rides: Dracula's Revenge - A custom Intamin Impulse coaster (see Volcano at Kings Dominion) with two launches and six inversions. The majority of the ride takes place in and around the castle, also coming in contact with the river and surrounding forest. No major show scenes, just pure adrenaline bliss.

Transylvania Castle Tours - Universal's attempt to beat Haunted Mansion. Dr. Jekyll guides you through the castle, explaining and showing you the sights. Be careful of his dark side.....

-Ancient China: Welcome to the world of Po. This land, while relatively small, packs a punch. Po's Quest for Awesomeness, the land's major attraction, stands tall at the back of the land. Dragon Warrior Noodles & Tofu beckons visitors from all over the world. There are also several carnival-style games for the kids to enjoy, and a parade flows through main street every morning.

Rides: Po's Quest for Awesomeness - An interactive dark ride, based on the icon of the film (although the rest of his friends do make an appearance). Watch out for flying dumplings.

- Madagascar: The famous jungle from the movies grants you passage to a tropical land like no other. Explore the world around you as you come into contact with some of the most beloved animals in cinema history, and make sure to spray the guests riding the rapids below you. Swing and glide through the trees, play with the lemurs, and watch the oncoming sunset. The choice is yours.

Rides: Madagascar: A Crate Adventure - A new twist on the boat ride from Singapore. Instead of taking a nice, relaxing boat cruise, you are thrust into Class III rapids as you flow around the land and come in contact with the films titular characters.

King Julien's Flying Machine - A variation of the Pteranodon Flyers from IOA, but there is no age limit. Ride all you like.

Skipper's Dance - Your park's typical spinning flat ride.

-Far, Far Away: The home of Shrek and his friends, and the place where all your fairytales come to life (for better or worse....). The land is divided into two distinct areas: Shrek's Swamp and Duloc (the main town where the castle is). Each land has a major ride, and several Meet & Greets.

Rides: Swamp Invasion - A launched family coaster located in Shrek's Swamp. The coaster interacts with several major characters from the series, including Shrek and Fiona. Basically a lighter version of the coaster currently being built at IOA.

Fairytail - An indoor dark ride with no height requirement. Makes fun of all the Disney attractions. Donkey is your guide, and that's pretty much all you need to know.

- Berk: Watch out for fire (not to mention the dragons themselves) as you explore the Viking town made famous by the How to Train Your Dragon movies. Nightfury will occasionally glide through the land, flying through the village around you. But don't forget the land's major attraction: BARBEQUE (charbroiled by the dragons and delivered fresh to your table). Oh yeah, and watch out for a spectacular display at nightfall

Rides: Nightfury - A custom family invert that takes major inspiration from Arthur and its sister ride in Dubai (remember when we thought that this was gonna be the new HP coaster's ride system? Baskin Robins remembers.....). Glides through several buildings in the land and has a major water element. Built into the faux-mountain it shares with Middle Earth.

- Super Nintendo World: This ain't the Mushroom Kingdom you remembered. Headlined by four major attractions, the famous characters, and multiple play areas, this land is truly one for the ages.

Rides: Mario Kart Experience - This is the land's major headliner in a land full of headliners. The most technologically-advanced attraction ever built, the ride blends AR and physical sets for a one of a kind experience you can't find anywhere else (except for Japan. And Hollywood. And.... you know what? Let's act like this is the only one)

Donkey Kong: Mine Coaster - A first of its kind coaster, it uses a mixture of false and real track to create an adrenaline rush you can't ride anywhere else (unless Hollywood gets it first).

Yoshi's Adventure - An interactive indoor-outdoor dark ride that takes you on a tour of the Mushroom Kingdom. Uses more animatronics than the entire FNAF series. Watch out for strollers in the queue

Luigi's Mansion - The park's resident shooting dark-ride. Luigi guides us through his mansion, letting his guests' blast ghosts as he attempts to find a way out.

Spinning Shells - A spinning flat-ride inspired by Alien Spinning Saucers at DHS.

- Middle Earth: The last major land you come across, and probably the most immersive. A major mountain guides travelers from miles away to this one of a kind land, filled with mysterious creatures, heart-pounding rides, amazing food, and an interactive night show that makes you want to live here. Welcome to Middle Earth

Rides: Tower of Mordor - Universal attempts to beat Disney at its game once again in this interactive indoor drop-tower. Stands at a massive height of 180 feet.

The Battle for the Rings - An interactive dark ride that uses the tech from Forbidden Journey at Islands of Adventure, with added special effects.

Unnamed Boat Ride - Takes major inspiration from the famous rapids scene, and has major coaster and dark ride elements. The finale of the ride has you falling down a waterfall built into the mountain. (Sorry, I’m not familiar with the LOTR franchise as a whole)

Last edited:
Universal escape?

200.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.