Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 625 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Glad to hear you got to experience that! That was one of my bigger disappointments last time I went, but it seems like the resort is moving in the right direction. IoA just seems like it would be spectacular in the dark, unfortunately I've never visited in peak season so I've yet to see it (for more than a few minutes).
Yes, we were in the same situation. Yes, IOA is absolutely stunning in the dark. And, it appears the really good Hogwarts night show pulls in the crowds and keeps them until close to closing. We stayed until closing at IOA for about half of the nights we were on site. And, like I said, it's not just the overall look of the park, but many of the rides are better in the dark.....Potter show is certainly an allure and major catalyst. Special Magic.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you got to experience that! That was one of my bigger disappointments last time I went, but it seems like the resort is moving in the right direction. IoA just seems like it would be spectacular in the dark, unfortunately I've never visited in peak season so I've yet to see it (for more than a few minutes).
Islands was open till 10 p.m. on Tuesday.:)

Reactions: Joel and JPRA513
I thought that was you. :thumbsup:Have you & the wife been to the parks since HHN?
Actually, we haven't! That is unheard of from us. And, we don't have any trips planned until HHN this year. We have a lot of other trips/things going on. We miss it something terrible, though!

I go down for HHN on 9/13 through the 24th and Dana comes down the 18th through the 24th.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Actually, we haven't! That is unheard of from us. And, we don't have any trips planned until HHN this year. We have a lot of other trips/things going on. We miss it something terrible, though!

I go down for HHN on 9/13 through the 24th and Dana comes down the 18th through the 24th.
We've been staying away from HHN time since we've run into so much bad weather in Florida & the route north the last three years we were down there. Next vacation for us is first week of December. Hopefully the Hurricanes & Tropical Storms will be over by then. Tired of trying to dodge torrential downpours & flooded out highways. Even May was horrid for traveling this year. Florida weather seems to be in a 'it sucks' cycle....Although we might have to deal with snow in December. . :lol:

Finally rode this for the first time! Really enjoyed the actual ride. Only got to ride it once.

I had express passes so I didn't see the full queue. However the ride "broke down" three times while I was in the express line, each for about 15 minutes. We were in a minimally themed hallway so it was a pretty miserable wait.

Loved the ride. Impressed by the size of the vehicles and how realistic the driver was. Great grand entrance (got to do the outdoor portion in the beginning). I really thought the screens were well done. Blended in with the surroundings well and great sense of depth. Easy to see everything. Blown away by the Kong at the end. Really wanted to ride it again but decided it wasn't a good use of time considering how the express line took an hour. The regular line was 90 minutes.

So if you don't know, there is a tour that you can take of this ride. Just ask a team member at the entrance if anyone is available for a tour. Here are some of the fun facts we learned about the ride.

• The RVs are not self-driving like you may think. The system the RVs use is they measure the rotation of the wheels to determine which angle to turn each wheel. Since the ride path is fixed, they know exactly when to turn each wheel just based on how many times the wheels have rotated and at what part of the rotation the wheel is in.
  • When the ride breaks down it is almost always because the RV is confused about where it is in the ride. Which causes a hard stop. Along the ride path there are sensors in the ground that sync up with the RV. If rotation of the wheels and position of the RV are not correct, the ride will hard stop
  • There is a curled up rope in the single riders/extended outside queue next to a radio that is from Jaws
  • That radio was supposed to be synced up with the ride vehicle's audio as they passed by the outdoor portion of the queue, but it never worked
  • Most of the props in the final queue area with the worm are re-purposed from disaster after that closed down
  • If you shine a light into one of the first boxes in the final queue room there is a statue of the empire state building (a reference to OG Kong)
  • In the ride load area there are 3 giant guardians carved into the rockwork. The one in the middle has his arms crossed like a mummy. This is a reference to the mummy ride to reciprocate the gold Kong easter egg in the treasure room scene
  • Sometimes the gates of the main facade don't work. If this happens they can tie down the doors to be permanently open so that the outdoor section can still operate
  • As you enter the gates, the old Kong skull is called "princess" by the team members
  • The motion of the RV is comprised of two parts. The first is the motion base on the ground. Each of the four wheels lock into their own motion base. There is also an airbag system in the RV underneath you that also adds motion to the vehicle
  • In scene 2 when Kate is being pulled over the vehicle by the bat, look at the roof of the vehicle. There is a simulated shadow that syncs up perfectly with Kate "flying" over the vehicle. This shadow effect is also used in the 360 room and looks like branches
  • The ride was down a lot during its first operation during the winter season. This was because the Kong animatronic was actually getting too cold and shutting off. They found this out because Kong would only work in the afternoon (when it was warm outside) and it would break down in the mornings and evenings (when it was cold outside). They now have heaters installed in that room, which has fixed the problem.
  • If Kong does break down, the entire ride will go down since that is a crucial part of the ride experience
  • Kong has 36 different motors just in his face alone
  • For a while the doors of the RV would need to be held up by team members with poles. This is because one time one of doors fell only an inch or two and touched the top of a guest's head. They were not hurt, but this is what caused the pole holding to happen for awhile. They've seem to have fixed this for now
  • If someone is standing up during the ride, they can play a prerecorded voice of your specific animatronic driver telling everyone to sit down. If they still don't sit down an actual team member can tap into audio system and yell at them
  • Sometimes the animatronic drivers won't operate. This does not cause the ride to go down. Usually they have no idea why it broke and they just need to reset it
  • Because of the frequency at which the ride breaks down, there is always a ride tech in the control booth
If those nerd facts aren't enough, you get to ride with the team member without waiting in line as part of the tour and it's completely free. We skipped a 75 minute wait.

I've wondered why Kong is so much better than Supercharged. They are essentially the same ride, with a different overlay. After taking this tour, I know why. It's all in the details. And that's what makes any theme park ride amazing. The small details, that add so much. Details that you would never notice, but if they weren't there, you would feel something is missing.

Last edited:
So if you don't know, there is a tour that you can take of this ride. Just ask a team member at the entrance if anyone is available for a tour. Here are some of the fun facts we learned about the ride.

• The RVs are not self-driving like you may think. The system the RVs use is they measure the rotation of the wheels to determine which angle to turn each wheel. Since the ride path is fixed, they know exactly when to turn each wheel just based on how many times the wheels have rotated and at what part of the rotation the wheel is in.
  • When the ride breaks down it is almost always because the RV is confused about where it is in the ride. Which causes a hard stop. Along the ride path there are sensors in the ground that sync up with the RV. If rotation of the wheels and position of the RV are not correct, the ride will hard stop
  • There is a curled up rope in the single riders/extended outside queue next to a radio that is from Jaws
  • That radio was supposed to be synced up with the ride vehicle's audio as they passed by the outdoor portion of the queue, but it never worked
  • Most of the props in the final queue area with the worm are re-purposed from disaster after that closed down
  • If you shine a light into one of the first boxes in the final queue room there is a statue of the empire state building (a reference to OG Kong)
  • In the ride load area there are 3 giant guardians carved into the rockwork. The one in the middle has his arms crossed like a mummy. This is a reference to the mummy ride to reciprocate the gold Kong easter egg in the treasure room scene
  • Sometimes the gates of the main facade don't work. If this happens they can tie down the doors to be permanently open so that the outdoor section can still operate
  • As you enter the gates, the old Kong skull is called "princess" by the team members
  • The motion of the RV is comprised of two parts. The first is the motion base on the ground. Each of the four wheel lock into their own motion base. There is also an airbag system in the RV underneath you that also adds motion to the vehicle
  • In scene 2 when Kate is being pulled over the vehicle by the bat, look at the roof of the vehicle. There is a simulated shadow that syncs up perfectly with Kate "flying" over the vehicle. This shadow effect is also used in the 360 room and looks like branches
  • The ride was down a lot during its first operation during the winter season. This was because the Kong animatronic was actually getting too cold and shutting off. They found this out because Kong would only work in the afternoon (when it was warm outside) and it would break down in the mornings and evenings (when it was cold outside). They now have heaters installed in that room, which has fixed the problem.
  • If Kong does break down, the entire ride will go down since that is a crucial part of the ride experience
  • Kong has 36 different motors just in his face alone
  • For a while the doors of the RV would need to be held up by team members with poles. This is because one time one of doors fell only an inch or two and touched the top of a guest's head. They were not hurt, but this is what caused the pole holding to happen for awhile. They've seem to have fixed this for now
  • If someone is standing up during the ride, they can play a prerecorded voice of your specific animatronic driver telling everyone to sit down. If they still don't sit down an actual team member can tap into audio system and yell at them
  • Sometimes the animatronic drivers won't operate. This does not cause the ride to go down. Usually they have no idea why it broke and they just need to reset it
  • Because of the frequency at which the ride breaks down, there is always a ride tech in the control booth
If those nerd facts aren't enough, you get to ride with the team member without waiting in line as part of the tour and it's completely free. We skipped a 75 minute wait.

I've wondered why Kong is so much better than Supercharged. They are essentially the same ride, with a different overlay. After taking this tour, I know why. It's all in the details. And that's what makes any theme park ride amazing. The small details, that add so much. Details that you would never notice, but if they weren't there, you would feel something is missing.

THIS IS FANTASTIC! Thank you! I can't wait to do this next time!

Wow. Thx. Your informative / detailed post above should be saved somewhere, rather than be lost when this thread subsequently moves on.

I have highlighted one quote as reminded me of Everest!?
Probably would be a good idea for that post to be added to the Kong Review thread, since that thread rarely sees any additional comments, thus it would be easy to find the info again.

While the feeling of motion would persist (60fps does that) the film is designed for 3_D. Take off the 3-D and you have the issues FJ and F&F have (well, F&F has way more other issues too)
Even more. I took the glasses off once and the films are pretty close to unwatchable. And, I love the Kong attraction. But it doesn't work without the 3D. It's too reliant on it.