Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 218 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one problem with your list, and that is the fact that SNW would dwarf LOTR if it came. That’s why I see LOTR getting four attractions if it’s there.

Nintendo, is a juggernaut IP. Especially if Mario and his world comes to play, it would make sense why his world would get the top billing.

Lord of The Rings...doesn't have much for more than 2 attractions, unless if you want to go into Hobbit territory.

Nintendo, is a juggernaut IP. Especially if Mario and his world comes to play, it would make sense why his world would get the top billing.

Lord of The Rings...doesn't have much for more than 2 attractions, unless if you want to go into Hobbit territory.

If LOTR comes, I only see 2 E Tickets being built for it. The rest of the land will be an "Attraction" like Diagon.

Here’s what I see LOTR getting: A drop tower ride themed to the Eye of Sauron/Mordor, that rapids ride that everyone on here wants, a regular dark ride similar to Spidey, and a show.

It’s not that hard to picture. Look at Marvel. Had Doctor Doom been themed better, it would practically be the same (switch Hulk for the water ride). And LOTR wouldn’t have a extra flat, but a show instead.

If the Tolkien estate really does allow Universal to build a LOTR land, they’d want the best land possible.

According to one of our key Insiders, Universal has already negotiated and holds an 'option' on Tolkien's LOR theme park rights. But they (Comcast/Universal) are unsure if they want to follow through, and finalize it, due to the fact they already hold the rights to so many similar fantasy/dragons genre IP's, namely, HP, Zelda, How to Train Your Dragon. Hopefully Universal moves forward and exercises their option, if that info is correct. LOR is an excellent IP, with a strong very dedicated following. Like Potter hardcore fans, LOR hardcore fans would plan vacations around it's inclusion. Plus that would keep it away from competitors utilizing the IP in it's theme parks. And yes, I'm aware that Tolkien hated Disney, but his heirs may be on a different page if money becomes the prime objective to them, and there's nowhere else to go.

According to one of our key Insiders, Universal has already negotiated and holds an 'option' on Tolkien's LOR theme park rights. But they (Comcast/Universal) are unsure if they want to follow through, and finalize it, due to the fact they already hold the rights to so many similar fantasy/dragons genre IP's, namely, HP, Zelda, How to Train Your Dragon. Hopefully Universal moves forward and exercises their option, if that info is correct. LOR is an excellent IP, with a strong very dedicated following. Like Potter hardcore fans, LOR hardcore fans would plan vacations around it's inclusion. Plus that would keep it away from competitors utilizing the IP in it's theme parks. And yes, I'm aware that Tolkien hated Disney, but his heirs may be on a different page if money becomes the prime objective to them, and there's nowhere else to go.
Not doing LOTR because of owning Zelda/HTTYD would be crazy. I love Zelda/HTTYD but LOTR dwarfs them in popularity and land potential, imo. Plus they could very easily coexist in separate parks.

Not doing LOTR because of owning Zelda/HTTYD would be crazy. I love Zelda/HTTYD but LOTR dwarfs them in popularity and land potential, imo. Plus they could very easily coexist in separate parks.

Two of them would presumably go into the same park. LOTR will come to Uni. In the future, but I get the hesitation.

How many castle IP’s does Disney have, again? ;)

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit

Let me ask this, do we really think that Nintendo will have Zelda at Site B? Because I always thought that (along with Pokemon) would be saved for the future in Universal Orlando Resort.

I have been looking for hints about what is going on. The certainly sounds right. This is just enough to warrant a lot of secrecy without too much information that could actually leak.

I believe that universal has obtained the options for multiple IPs. Some of them just possibly as backup plans. I'm surprised they have only gone as far as an option so far on LotT.

I can't imagine Universal having the rights for this and not exercising that option. Nintendo will be in Universal parks around the world. Lord of the Rings will put the new park at a whole new level.

Let me ask this, do we really think that Nintendo will have Zelda at Site B? Because I always thought that (along with Pokemon) would be saved for the future in Universal Orlando Resort.
They're looking at the existence of similar genre Fantasy/Dragons IP's at all three parks of the resort as perhaps over saturation of the genre, not specifically the new park alone. Including Potter, HTTD, Zelda, and LOTR makes 4 if option picked up. As I stated though, if this info is correct. So far I've heard about it from one insider only, though his info is generally quite accurate at the time it comes out. But we all know how fluid Universal has been with their plans in the past year or two.

I...do not think Universal has anything regarding LOTR at the moment.

How are you reading that as Nintendo paying? Not only is it unlikely, but it would be HIGHLY unusual.

Wrote to the author of the article to see if that was there intent. He is their go to Nintendo guy and the way its worded in the article says Nintendo is spending. Not Universal. But should hopefully hear back soon. But yes, that's why I posted it because it would be unusual. We don't know the profit sharing agreement or anything else regarding Universal/Nintendo.

Reactions: Nick and Mike S
Universal has to be looking at the 3rd dry park in the context of potentially building 2 dry parks at the south site. What I mean by that is that Universal can't be thinking about "okay we put all our IPs in these 3 dry parks and then Orlando is complete"..., they can't think that way if they are thinking about the next 15-20 years of UOR's future.

If they are thinking in the context of a 2 dry park south resort, then I don't see how they do it without LOTR. Yes, it might seem a bit heavy on the fantasy genre... but you should always push your advantage.

If your advantage is control of most of the major film/vg fantasy genres, then go all out and make yourself the place for that. I don't see how it's a weakness to have a resort with LOTR, HTTYD, Zelda, and Potter. They don't necessarily target the same groups even though there is some overlap among the fanbases of those IPs.

You can keep things separate in my opinion if you do something like keeping all of Potter at the current resort and then keeping LOTR entirely at the south resort. Zelda at IoA and HTTYD at the 3rd dry park would round things out...

I can't imagine them using that. It wasn't a very good movie.

Not to mention, I think someone pointed that Scott Trowbridge has the patents to the domes, hence why we don't see any other Universal attraction having that and how we are seeing Galaxy's Edge having Projection domes as the main source of screens in the Falcon.

If they do a Classic Monster's Dark Ride, they'll have to do a completely new concept.

Reactions: Galaxy Defender
Not to mention, I think someone pointed that Scott Trowbridge has the patents to the domes, hence why we don't see any other Universal attraction having that and how we are seeing Galaxy's Edge having Projection domes as the main source of screens in the Falcon.

If they do a Classic Monster's Dark Ride, they'll have to do a completely new concept.
I guess Universal will just have to go back to using screens.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.