Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 339 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So does anyone else feel like Universal is preparing to unload an actual reply to disney, I believe they are preparing a response to shatter Disney’s thunder.

I see announcements coming for both the Jurassic Park Expansion and a volcano Bay Expansion this year.

Responses galaxy’s edge Harry Potter coaster, Vocano Bay Expansion, endless summer resort phase one, T23D replacement(which I believe unlike others will be a first of its kind show/ride)

Wishes for announcements future:
They then close FFL after HHN(Ministry of Magic, debuting 2020, is coming but they will not announce until after the Potter coaster debut as to not detour vacation plans) and lost continent(Zelda for 2021)

Then early possibly February they shut down Shrek(announcing Villiancon), also announcing “officially Dry Park 3 Expansion w/ Citywalk 2.0 and a waterpark all coming 2023”

So now it’s 2020 and we get Jurassic Park Expansion and ministry of Magic
Kidzone closes September(for Pokémon in 2022)

2021 we receive Zelda and villiancon

2022 we get Pokémon

2023 southern resort opens and we then get a surprise announcement for the suess expansion plot(krumpit thrill ride) and men in black Expansion plot(unknown but fingers crossed Godzilla)

2024 krumpit hybrid coaster and Godzilla dark thrill ride and then announcements for phase 2 southern property

By 2025 Universal Studios is really scaring the Disney brass with how many people are choosing there property for all vacation needs

Zelda isn’t coming in 2021, I can tell you that much. That’d give IOA three major projects in three years, and LC just got refurbished.

Zelda isn’t coming in 2021, I can tell you that much. That’d give IOA three major projects in three years, and LC just got refurbished.
Would you really call a paint job a refurb, the refurbs to the shows we’re almost going on 2 years and I’m not suggesting the closure for 8months, so 2 to 2.5 years from any meaningful refurb. So your using a saying a buddy of mine use to use “it’s like brand new, cause i bought it 3 years ago brand new” “I paid $350 for it it so if you want I’ll sell it to you for like $325 cause you know I could get $400 for it”, as I told my buddy “right, good luck with that thinking” he would then sell it for 100 bucks and ask my help to deliver”right”. Anyways you talking a refurbish that cost Comcast pennies so they really don’t care plus the end game is revenue lost continent($100) won’t give them the money a fresh ip($400)will. Also that was a wish list

Also I believe they are gearing the north property up as much as the can before the south property hits as I do believe they will bring SNW(Mushroom kingdom expanded) and LOTR as the headliners and those headliners could draw from the north resort. Also Star Trek is being thrown around yeah those 3 together and wow just wow. So they need major attractions pulling all they can when the southern property hits and don’t forget combat Disney’s major announcements, there is a hell of a lot more coming than just Star Wars

Last edited:
I know we are probably years away from any official announcements, but how soon do you think we might start to hear some rumblings from insiders about any specifics for the land, # of hotels, and what IPs might be in the parks and what types of rides? I love all this, but it seems soooo far away... and waiting for Universal who still haven't really made an official annoucement about the Potter coaster will be like torture haha.

I know we are probably years away from any official announcements, but how soon do you think we might start to hear some rumblings from insiders about any specifics for the land, # of hotels, and what IPs might be in the parks and what types of rides? I love all this, but it seems soooo far away... and waiting for Universal who still haven't really made an official annoucement about the Potter coaster will be like torture haha.

We’ll probably hear something within the next three months as TSL opens up, permits get filed, and construction starts moving along.

Heck, I would laugh if info got released on my birthday. The Nintendo info got leaked on my birthday last year :lol:

I'm a little worried with how close those apartments are to the southern property. Do you think this will be an issue with having a proper nighttime fireworks show? Isn't this land zoned commercially/able to have these types of shows?
Looks like a larger distance than USF

USF used to do bigger Pyro shows, and then they ate up the land they used with other things

Reactions: Joel
Those apartments will probably be replaced with a hotel in 3-4 years anyway. Even if Universal doesn’t wind up with it, that land will be worth far more as commercial property once the New park starts going vertical.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Those apartments will probably be replaced with a hotel in 3-4 years anyway. Even if Universal doesn’t wind up with it, that land will be worth far more as commercial property once the New park starts going vertical.

Doesn't it seem crazy Universal hasn't already purchased that land? I mean, the value of the "full Disney experience" (fireworks shows, events past midnight, concerts, etc) seems like it would be worth a LOT of money, and at some point Universal *will* be constrained by land as it seeks to build enough hotel rooms, maintenance infrastructure, and parking for visitors to 3 major theme parks + 2 water parks.

And who is to say that Universal will ever purchase it? Why not buy it before they build the new apartments and save money that way? Why hasn't Universal purchased the "Bell at Universal Apartments" which back up directly on Diagon Alley? That would be the *perfect* spot for a boutique Harry Potter hotel.

Final rant/question... doesn't it seem like we should be hearing about permits for a fixed transit connection in the next year or even couple of months? If it's a monorail / light rail, there will be a lot of work and collaboration with municipalities, in addition to huge capital expenses and considerable construction costs. The LAX people mover, which is scheduled to open in ~2023, just broke ground. This project would probably be of a somewhat similar scale (LAX peoplemover is 2.5 miles, almost the exact distance from CityWalk -> Wet and Wild -> center of new land).

The longer we don't hear about it, the more likely they go the bus or gondola route. My guess is that there's a very good chance they go the gondola route, and that the odds of a gondola go up every day we don't hear about transportation plans, because the construction and permitting for such a system should be much simpler.

Doesn't it seem crazy Universal hasn't already purchased that land? I mean, the value of the "full Disney experience" (fireworks shows, events past midnight, concerts, etc) seems like it would be worth a LOT of money, and at some point Universal *will* be constrained by land as it seeks to build enough hotel rooms, maintenance infrastructure, and parking for visitors to 3 major theme parks + 2 water parks.

And who is to say that Universal will ever purchase it? Why not buy it before they build the new apartments and save money that way? Why hasn't Universal purchased the "Bell at Universal Apartments" which back up directly on Diagon Alley? That would be the *perfect* spot for a boutique Harry Potter hotel.

Final rant/question... doesn't it seem like we should be hearing about permits for a fixed transit connection in the next year or even couple of months? If it's a monorail / light rail, there will be a lot of work and collaboration with municipalities, in addition to huge capital expenses and considerable construction costs. The LAX people mover, which is scheduled to open in ~2023, just broke ground. This project would probably be of a somewhat similar scale (LAX peoplemover is 2.5 miles, almost the exact distance from CityWalk -> Wet and Wild -> center of new land).

The longer we don't hear about it, the more likely they go the bus or gondola route. My guess is that there's a very good chance they go the gondola route, and that the odds of a gondola go up every day we don't hear about transportation plans, because the construction and permitting for such a system should be much simpler.

They probably have approached the apartments and were rejected.

If Uni is going the monorail/people mover route it'll definitely require a lot of time for approval to work above city roads/etc. The more I think about it, the more I believe Universal will go the bus route. Considering that the current on-site hotels will probably offer bus service to and from the new resort area, there's no need to add a monorail to transport single day visitors. Unless they add stations to the hotels.

I think people hoping for a gondola are hoping for too much. It's gonna be buses.

MCO is replacing their "people mover vehicles" for 90 million dollars...that is only the vehicles. How many years can they provide free bus service for that? Sure it would be cool to have a direct connection between both resort but I think economically it's not viable. The whole thing (including buying extra land, safety solutions to get people out off or making sure one of this wonderful american chauffeurs won't hit it or a terrorist blows a leg up) will cost at least 1.5-2 billion.
At Disney people are used to bus transportation, the only thing Universal needs to do is make the buses nicer and put Hogwarts Express windows in it and we are fine.

MCO is replacing their "people mover vehicles" for 90 million dollars...that is only the vehicles. How many years can they provide free bus service for that? Sure it would be cool to have a direct connection between both resort but I think economically it's not viable. The whole thing (including buying extra land, safety solutions to get people out off or making sure one of this wonderful american chauffeurs won't hit it or a terrorist blows a leg up) will cost at least 1.5-2 billion.
At Disney people are used to bus transportation, the only thing Universal needs to do is make the buses nicer and put Hogwarts Express windows in it and we are fine.

If Universal does the VB approach of adding screens into the buses with something entertaining on, I think it'll be fine. Also, Uni most probably will get their own bus lanes for quick access between both resorts that would result in fast transit.

A bus route between CityWalk bus area to a new south resort bus area using Universal BLVD is only 10 minutes. Having a dedicated bus lane could make it 7-8 minutes. Same time it takes between MK and Ticket Transportation for the Express Monorail.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
If it's buses, I can see the buses have the windows tinted in a manner that blocks out the outside world. But that's just my own thoughts on that.

Food for thought, what if they don't have a Monorail at the start, but set the groundwork to implement something like that after the debut of UOSouth?

If it's buses, I can see the buses have the windows tinted in a manner that blocks out the outside world. But that's just my own thoughts on that.

Food for thought, what if they don't have a Monorail at the start, but set the groundwork to implement something like that after the debut of UOSouth?

I just don't think it's ever going to be possible unless Uni buys the entirety of things from the existing campus to the new one. Just too many voices to oppose them otherwise

There really isn't a whole lot of other properties between the new property and the current resort if they go from the right side of Locheed Martin diagonally across the Kirkman/Sand Lake intersection into the south side of the Endless Summer Resort property. From there, IHOP and the small piece of land behind it are all they would need to complete the route.

The biggest challenge building any connecting transportation might be the jurisdictions of Orange County and City of Orlando meeting there. It would mean double the approvals.

As for complaints from the neighbors along the way, highly doubtful most would object. Their property values all go up with the expansion of Universal to the south property. All those hotels and restaurants along the way will see large upticks in business with Universal drawing more guests to the area.

Reactions: maxairmike
There really isn't a whole lot of other properties between the new property and the current resort if they go from the right side of Locheed Martin diagonally across the Kirkman/Sand Lake intersection into the south side of the Endless Summer Resort property. From there, IHOP and the small piece of land behind it are all they would need to complete the route.
I'd need a diagram of what you're trying to say here, because I can't see how this is possible.

Even then, every business in the area is gonna oppose it when it will A) Have to be partially built on public land and B) allows huge numbers of guests to bypass their businesses

Status
Not open for further replies.