Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

So was it because of issues with New Line, Stephen King, or because they want to wait until Chapter 2 comes out? At this point it seems like getting the IP’s from New Line is gonna get a lot harder.

I think the new lineup isn’t too bad considering we’re getting one of the OG paranormal films(Poltergeist), debateably the best season of AHS(Asylum), one of the highest requested mazes of all time(TrT), and John’s most anticipated of all time(UCM). Oh and Stranger Things

Also @AlexanderMBush I thought you said in the Orlando thread that the last you heard The Thing was greenlit for Hollywood?

Last edited:
So was it because of issues with New Line, Stephen King, or because they want to wait until Chapter 2 comes out? At this point it seems like getting the IP’s from New Line is gonna get a lot harder.

I think the new lineup isn’t too bad considering we’re getting one of the OG paranormal films(Poltergeist), debateably the best season of AHS(Asylum), one of the highest requested mazes of all time(TrT), and John’s most anticipated of all time(UCM).

Also @AlexanderMBush I thought you said in the Orlando thread that the last you heard The Thing was greenlit for Hollywood?

There was miscommunication on my end in regards to Thing.

Dang. It did seem odd that Hollywood would get IT as an exclusive IP and that we had the budget for Stranger Things and Thing’s puppets
That is what I kept thinking. It didn't make sense but I knew those getting the info were seeing what they were seeing.

A big IP like IT was definitely going to be coming to all the parks.

Now here is something to think about, people are assuming New Line pulled IT, what if this was a decision on Universals side to save IT for next year.

Rights are a tricky thing and maybe New Line was willing to give Uni 3 years to do something with IT and Netflix was willing to do this year or not at all.

That is what I kept thinking. It didn't make sense but I knew those getting the info were seeing what they were seeing.

A big IP like IT was definitely going to be coming to all the parks.

Now here is something to think about, people are assuming New Line pulled IT, what if this was a decision on Universals side to save IT for next year.

Rights are a tricky thing and maybe New Line was willing to give Uni 3 years to do something with IT and Netflix was willing to do this year or not at all.

That's reasonable enough, though I really would've liked to have seen both movies represented as separate mazes. The first movie is stuffed as is.

Still, I do not envy Murdy right now. The Twitter comments would get exhausting.

If this year does suck 2019 better make up for it. But I’m keeping my hopes up since Purge could end up fun & IMO Poltergeist is more interesting than Thing as a maze(although I would’ve loved to have seen the Spider Head)

Another trash year for HHN. I feel it in my veins.
Not gonna lie, I had the same feeling and Poltergeist (if it comes to fruition) was one of the IPs I threw out on my wish list after HHN 2017 ended, but once The Thing got thrown into the mix Poltergeist just became a let down.

I was only mildly excited for IT, maybe because I never allowed myself to believe it was actually coming.

If this year is another dumpster fire they have officially lost me as a fan and I’m sure many will think the same. Too much is at stake to screw this year up again. Like, dude...this is HOLLYWOOD. We have the Hollywood make up artists, special FX artists, the set designers....so why do we get black walls and reused home haunt props? Why do I have to fly out to the other side of the country for a descent HHN? The event’s reputation is on the line.

Not gonna lie, I had the same feeling and Poltergeist (if it comes to fruition) was one of the IPs I threw out on my wish list after HHN 2017 ended, but once The Thing got thrown into the mix Poltergeist just became a let down.

I was only mildly excited for IT, maybe because I never allowed myself to believe it was actually coming.

You've summed up my thoughts. HHN is notorious (and its fans as well because I blame myself) for finding out the news, and it doesnt come to fruition and lowers our expectations. But when HHN goes on to give us some "dessert" (good properties) they somehow manage to eff it up. Forgive my expression but HHN is all about foreplay without ever getting us to climax. And the worst part is they know crowds will keep on coming. 2016 is the gold standard and IMO HHN should've doubled down on a property or two because even an overrated maze like Krampus (IMO) is still ten times better than the quality of almost any house last year (minus Shining and AHS).

I am still looking forward to this year. Poltergeist is a cult classic but huge missed opportunity with The Thing (which I know isn't their fault). I feel bad for Murdy I do, but creative really needs to think ahead in these scenarios and that's where there problem lies - they never do! And we fans don't either! At least this year we kinda knew it was another "too good to be true" scenario.

Shame.

I’m amazed they haven’t put more into saving contracts and properties. This year alone had Thing & IT(although neither were lost too late), 2017 had Conjuring & Evil Dead 1&2 being retrofitted into AvED, & 2015 had Scream(although that was Orlando but still). I’m surprised we haven’t gotten Thing yet though since that’s a Universal property, and I thought we were getting a budget boost?? This year still reminds me a ton of 2016 though in terms of lineup

I’m amazed they haven’t put more into saving contracts and properties. This year alone had Thing & IT(although neither were lost too late), 2017 had Conjuring & Evil Dead 1&2 being retrofitted into AvED, & 2015 had Scream(although that was Orlando but still). I’m surprised we haven’t gotten Thing yet though since that’s a Universal property, and I thought we were getting a budget boost?? This year still reminds me a ton of 2016 though in terms of lineup

Technically, we have already had Thing. And that house was not that shabby, TBF.

I will go on record to say, I have a source who mentioned a while back that It was never happening, and given to throw off fans so I do have some sort of hope that whatever is "replacing" It (or was there from the start) is good. The fact that everyone kept on teasing and teasing is kinda what added fuel to the fire so right now the It "replacement" might still be good (if it was never coming in the first place).

That said I'm super disappointed over The Thing. One of the mazes I knew Murdy would go all out with.

Do you think maybe that’s because they saw how they screwed up The Shining and AVED and were like, “Nah, we’re good. We don’t want to leave a bad taste in people’s mouths about our properties”?

I will go on record to say, I have a source who mentioned a while back that It was never happening, and given to throw off fans so I do have some sort of hope that whatever is "replacing" It (or was there from the start) is good. The fact that everyone kept on teasing and teasing is kinda what added fuel to the fire so right now the It "replacement" might still be good.

That said I'm super disappointed over The Thing. One of the mazes I knew Murdy would go all out with.

So in that case it sounds like the plan was to wait and do all IT’s in one maze next year. Does anyone know if Murdy has any interest in Poltergeist? The last time a maze got shoved into us(AvED) it came out a huge flop

but creative really needs to think ahead in these scenarios and that's where there problem lies - they never do! .

I always felt, despite the fact Hollywood prefers IPs, that it would be smart to have a binder of Non-IP treatments that could be pulled out whenever an IP falls through. Would minimize the scrambling around for a new (or reused) IP and would overall be a more planned out maze.