Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

I always felt, despite the fact Hollywood prefers IPs, that it would be smart to have a binder of Non-IP treatments that could be pulled out whenever an IP falls through. Would minimize the scrambling around for a new (or reused) IP and would overall be a more planned out maze.
Why Murdy doesn’t do this is BEYOND me. They could’ve easily done that instead of the Purge for the 63664466634th time.

Why Murdy doesn’t do this is BEYOND me. They could’ve easily done that instead of the Purge for the 63664466634th time.

Is it just me or by this two tweets there was a Original Maze that was apart of the original lineup but then it got scrapped to make way for the First Purge? Like the lineup was AHS Asylum, Stranger Things, Halloween, Poltergeist, TrT, A Original Maze, and Classic Monsters. But then the original Maze got scrapped for The First Purge (Which Murdy said "Should be a film" and the First Purge is only one film).

Last edited:
So I just rewatched The First Purge trailer and it definitely has enough for a good maze. The apartment scenes, park scenes, alleys, and the government scenes all write themselves for good sets and claustrophobic environments. But it also seems like a maze Murdy could reuse a ton of stuff for and make it Purge Gauntlet 3.0 which is my biggest fear for the maze, especially since TFP has enough for good sets. I hope for the alleys it won’t be black walls since this maze is already hated as is

We lost it. When we did, not sure (Hopefully early in the game). But It is being replaced by the Purge and the Thing is being replaced by Poltergeist.
You have gotta be f'ing with me. When Stranger Things and Trick R Treat got announced I was so excited, but finding out IT and The Thing was taken out, I'm extremely dissapointed. Why The Purge again Murdy? On the bright side we have Poltergiest.
EDIT: Sorry I sound like I'm overreacting, but it's just that it's sad to see my most anticipated maze go away.

So I just rewatched The First Purge trailer and it definitely has enough for a good maze. The apartment scenes, park scenes, alleys, and the government scenes all write themselves for good sets and claustrophobic environments. But it also seems like a maze Murdy could reuse a ton of stuff for and make it Purge Gauntlet 3.0 which is my biggest fear for the maze, especially since TFP has enough for good sets. I hope for the alleys it won’t be black walls since this maze is already hated as is

On the other hand, if cutting corners on the First Purge means more focus on the other mazes, I can't think of a better sacrifice.

So omitting The Walking Dead this year’s lineup vs last year’s is:

2017: Titans of Terror, Horrors of Blumhouse, The Shining, Insidious, SAW, Ash vs Evil Dead, & AHS Roanoke

2018: Halloween, Universal’s Classic Monsters, Trick ‘r Treat, Stranger Thing, The First Purge, Poltergeist, & AHS Asylum

IMO even without Thing & IT this year’s lineup blows 2017’s out of the water and could compete with 2016’s if the mazes succeed

So omitting The Walking Dead this year’s lineup vs last year’s is:

2017: Titans of Terror, Horrors of Blumhouse, The Shining, Insidious, SAW, Ash vs Evil Dead, & AHS Roanoke

2018: Halloween, Universal’s Classic Monsters, Trick ‘r Treat, Stranger Thing, The First Purge, Poltergeist, & AHS Asylum

IMO even without Thing & IT this year’s lineup blows 2017’s out of the water and could compete with 2016’s if the mazes succeed
I would agree as it sounds way better on paper, but will it actually be good? Who would’ve thought that a last minute replacement last year (ToT) would end up being better than the highly anticipated Shinning?

I would agree as it sounds way better on paper, but will it actually be good? Who would’ve thought that a last minute replacement last year (ToT) would end up being better than the highly anticipated Shinning?

True, but I think there’s more going for this year’s lineup. Murdy usually does pretty well with AHS & Asylum is his favorite season, The Purge in HW is at least usually decent though used too much, and it seems like he has a lot of passion for the Halloween franchise, UCM & Stranger Things. I’m still nervous for Trick ‘r Treat & Poltergeist though since there’s so many ways for failure for those two; hopefully they’ll be good

To me, it's super weird that this forum is having negative response to the new lineup. It's still STACKED. From what I understand that rumored lineup was tossed out way early, so why be worried? Didn't this forum love 2016? It had the Purge in the entire park...
After last year, can you lame us for being very skeptical. They’re close to losing our trust.

Purge was alright, I just wish they would be more creative with their scarezones.

Do we have any idea what TT is supposed to be this year? Sorry I haven't been keeping up lol
No

To me, it's super weird that this forum is having negative response to the new lineup. It's still STACKED. From what I understand that rumored lineup was tossed out way early, so why be worried? Didn't this forum love 2016? It had the Purge in the entire park...
There really isn't "this forum" - we are all individuals with our own opinions. Some loved last year, some didn't.

To me, it's not super weird that we each have our own opinions and use this forum to talk about it. No one is worried - we are all discussing. and using this forum to do it.

After last year, can you lame us for being very skeptical. They’re close to losing our trust.

Purge was alright, I just wish they would be more creative with their scarezones.

Last year was ass, but I'd put that on the budget and construction projects myself.

I agree about the Scarezones, it doesn't seem to be Murdy's forte.

I agree about the Scarezones, it doesn't seem to be Murdy's forte.
Every year seems to get worse for Scare Zones. I believe 2015 was the last year where I thought all the Scare Zones were good.

2016 Purge All around the Park was fine. The Gaunlet was incredible but everything else was fine. Wish there was a bit more variety.

2017 was the worst year for Zones. Hell-O-Ween was Bad and it didn't feel like a Opening Scare Zone. It didn't feel like HHN. Toxic Tunnel was complete trash and the worst Scare Zone I have ever been through. Urban Inferno was only real Scare Zone that I thought was incredible.

Holidayz in Hell with the Metro Sets Gaunlet should be great. The emphasis at Monsterpalooza that the costumes are different/changed gives me hope. AHS Cult in Tunnel I have absolutely no hope for unless they remove Figure and Strobe Lights but I don't see that happening. Can't be as bad as Toxic Tunnel and the Costumes will be great.

I want Flame Towers and French Street to come back. Would love for both of those things to happen.

Ghoulz the Final Scare Zone from 2014 Voting Contest would work great in French Street. It would also be great for the tone since right after you exit Universal Monsters you are in a Cementary Scare Zone that takes place in the past.

As for Opening Scarezone would love to see that Scrapped Scare Zone from 2010 Murdy was talking about. But I'm thinking it's more possible that Hollywood Harry could come back and have a Opening Scare Zone.

I do hope that this is the year Scare Zones get better.

Jeez, I'm gone for a few days and find out it's a different lineup! Honestly i'm really bummed about NOT getting IT. But hopefully for 2019 they can do that property, as well as one based on The Conjuring trilogy, since both have new films next year; Hell, even add Stranger Things S2 in there as well. It sucks The Thing isn't coming, as I really loved the 2011 maze. As for Poltergeist, I'm extremely hesitant about it, even though I love that franchise. Do we know for sure it's based on the original and not the remake? Also, with the purge house, is it solely based on the prequel, or are they gonna do the same thing they did with Insidious last year?

Last edited:
Every year seems to get worse for Scare Zones. I believe 2015 was the last year where I thought all the Scare Zones were good.

2016 Purge All around the Park was fine. The Gaunlet was incredible but everything else was fine. Wish there was a bit more variety.

2017 was the worst year for Zones. Hell-O-Ween was Bad and it didn't feel like a Opening Scare Zone. It didn't feel like HHN. Toxic Tunnel was complete trash and the worst Scare Zone I have ever been through. Urban Inferno was only real Scare Zone that I thought was incredible.

Holidayz in Hell with the Metro Sets Gaunlet should be great. The emphasis at Monsterpalooza that the costumes are different/changed gives me hope. AHS Cult in Tunnel I have absolutely no hope for unless they remove Figure and Strobe Lights but I don't see that happening. Can't be as bad as Toxic Tunnel and the Costumes will be great.

I want Flame Towers and French Street to come back. Would love for both of those things to happen.

Ghoulz the Final Scare Zone from 2014 Voting Contest would work great in French Street. It would also be great for the tone since right after you exit Universal Monsters you are in a Cementary Scare Zone that takes place in the past.

As for Opening Scarezone would love to see that Scrapped Scare Zone from 2010 Murdy was talking about. But I'm thinking it's more possible that Hollywood Harry could come back and have a Opening Scare Zone.

I do hope that this is the year Scare Zones get better.
I agree let’s hope the scare zones are better this year I thought last year was kind of good because the actors in urban inferno kept coming back to scare me