Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Intamin’s the latest rumor... I’m stumped. If the wooden coaster rumor from earlier holds any weight, could it be a pre-fabricated wooden coaster a la El Toro?

I was thinking more like this (and Cannibal isn't Intamin, btw).

Love this coaster. HersheyPark was my home park growing up. Wish this was there when I worked at Hershey. I am not a big fan of Intamin, but hey maybe Uni has a good deal working with Intamin, make this JP or JW coaster a thrill coaster, I need some new elements and coaster thrills. Although, I have said I wish it was a B&M launched wing coaster.

B&M make great coasters but as mentioned above, they don‘t innovate enough. I think Mako, Manta, Kraken, Montu and the first half of Hulk are great...but Dragons Challenge & Sheikra are boring. Nemesis remains a work of art. Shambala in Port Aventura is Mako on steroids and is my favourite coaster on the planet.

I just want show scenes no matter what this is. If not I feel like it’s wasted space.

Universal is still the company that added Transformers within walking distance of Spider-Man, Fast & Furious within walking distance of Kong, and has two fairly traditional simulators right next to each other at USF.
Yes and Disney built Little Mermaid in the same park that had Haunted Mansion, and two boat rides right next to each other at Epcot, but I don't hear anyone complaining. Two completely different experiences.

If a B&M was to go in, I think a drop coaster themed to a raptor cage could probably fit quite well theme wise with a big diving loop out over the lagoon.

Yes and Disney built Little Mermaid in the same park that had Haunted Mansion, and two boat rides right next to each other at Epcot, but I don't hear anyone complaining. Two completely different experiences.

This is the old "But Disney!" argument. This discussion is not about them. They don't need to be constantly brought up as a way to deflect criticism away from Universal.

And I also think that a physical attraction will always have countless more ways (architecture design work, set decoration, lighting, AAs, costuming, etc.) to make its experience feel distinct and different from another one than a simulator has, because - by nature - basically all you have to work with is a projection surface. But that's really a discussion for the SCREENZ thread.

So Intamin’s the latest rumor... I’m stumped. If the wooden coaster rumor from earlier holds any weight, could it be a pre-fabricated wooden coaster a la El Toro?
I highly doubt anyone will buy a prefab anymore. Initial cost is very high and they require immense amounts of maintenance.

Dan found survey markings on the ground in front of the DC

No, @JoeCamel found survey markings and shared them with us 9 days ago, and then I reported it on Twitter last week and then Dan posted about them today.

Well lets see if I can figure it out. These were taken Saturday behind (lake side) of the Discovery Center. They are not brand new but I don't see them anywhere else in the park and they would have faded more if they were really old. Maybe they mean something and maybe they dont

Ahh missed that post my bad. So if the coaster is going to come all the way down by the water where is the new Raptor Encounter going?
I think it’s staying there. It may move temporarily during construction is all. I can imagine it becoming part of the coaster entrance/viewable from queue.

Also, blue markings are usually used to denote drainage running into lagoon. My guess is the markings are showing drainage paths, hence why half of them are on drains. The marks start up by the DC and follow straight lines down to the lagoon. And there’s two lines, leading from two drains. Dan also missed the manhole cover one.

EE4273C7-2982-409C-9840-116247C96ABF.jpeg

C58BF8B5-30D8-4812-A023-723A96348354.jpeg

B&M make great coasters but as mentioned above, they don‘t innovate enough. I think Mako, Manta, Kraken, Montu and the first half of Hulk are great...but Dragons Challenge & Sheikra are boring. Nemesis remains a work of art. Shambala in Port Aventura is Mako on steroids and is my favourite coaster on the planet.

I just want show scenes no matter what this is. If not I feel like it’s wasted space.
”Dragon Challenge” and “Boring” should never be in the same sentence, unless that sentence includes “not” in between them.

I personally don't see the appeal of wooden coasters. They look kind of cheap from my perspective. I'd honestly prefer a steel coaster instead. Nevertheless, I still respect how everyone feels about them. ^^

I know the wooden coaster rumor is starting to turn into Intamin but im surprised no one has used Wicker Man at Alton Towers as a good example of a themed low to the ground wooden coaster that can be translated for JP

Attachments

• wicker-man-wooden-roller-coaster-at-night-at-alton-towers-resort-dusk-a.jpg
    wicker-man-wooden-roller-coaster-at-night-at-alton-towers-resort-dusk-a.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 14
I personally don't see the appeal of wooden coasters. They look kind of cheap from my perspective. I'd honestly prefer a steel coaster instead. Nevertheless, I still respect how everyone feels about them. ^^

When maintained correctly, they’re among the top coasters in the world. Unfortunately, you won’t find many well-maintained wooden coasters at your typical corporate regional park.

Despite that, I personally feel that a wooden coaster has no place at a world-destination theme park resort given that they just seem impractical. Universal had to completely rebuild Hulk after 17 years of operation. Imagine how often they’d have to retrack a wooden coaster.

I hope we don't end up seeing another giant white box in the land. I pretty fully believe that JPRA is out of place in the land already
See I think the show building completes the theming. JP was a zoo or safari type attraction but still had to be a fully functional "theme park" in the books the characters end up in some of the backstage areas guests wouldn't see, as they also do in all the movies. The buildings are almost a trope of the franchise. The electrical building and visitor center in 1, the abandoned InGen gas station and shed from 2 with the raptors. The birthing center from 3 as well as the pteranodon cage. I think the big show building is a character on its own. The rigid structure in the wild jungle, very symbolic of the JP universe. At least that's my take.. It's one of the few show buildings that doesn't bug me to see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.