Official Soccer Thread | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Official Soccer Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Official World Cup 2026 hype!

A result for the united team but Im not sure the World cup being spread over three countries is such a good idea.

Those three countries alone are huge so putting it over all three is a logistical nightmare which will come at great expense for the fans.

I also think it will take away from the feel of it. I like seeing the host countries culture, the colours the sounds of that country is what makes it unique. 2026 will have a totally different feel because of this and I am not so sure it will be as good.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer one country hosting but congrats non the less.

All that being said I am looking forward to this years tournament immensely.

Come on England :drool:

A result for the united team but Im not sure the World cup being spread over three countries is such a good idea.

Those three countries alone are huge so putting it over all three is a logistical nightmare which will come at great expense for the fans.

I also think it will take away from the feel of it. I like seeing the host countries culture, the colours the sounds of that country is what makes it unique. 2026 will have a totally different feel because of this and I am not so sure it will be as good.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer one country hosting but congrats non the less.

All that being said I am looking forward to this years tournament immensely.

Come on England :drool:
I'm rooting for the Three Lions this year. Not over Iceland and Columbia, but I low-key love the squad England has.

In regards to '26, it's essentially a US Cup. Sixty of the 80(!) games are in the US, including everything from the Quarters on. Canada and Mexico are each getting 10 (mostly group stage).

These unified bids are the future though. With 46 teams starting in '26, they're almost a logistical necessity.

:thumbsup: good day for them

Was a good game. Some were critical, saying Belgium was not really convincing, but I have no problem with the slower first half. From what I understand, the climate was rather humid and not something Belgian players are use to, so it was best they kept the first half more downtempo.

England were lucky.

Not going to lie, I wanted this to be a draw lol.

Was a good game. Some were critical, saying Belgium was not really convincing, but I have no problem with the slower first half. From what I understand, the climate was rather humid and not something Belgian players are use to, so it was best they kept the first half more downtempo.

Not going to lie, I wanted this to be a draw lol.

I'm in a weird position of not wanting England to win but the longer they stay in the World Cup, the longer I can sell 'Anyone but England' t shirts. :shrug:

Walter Bahr, the last surviving member of the USA team that engineered one of the greatest upsets in World Cup history, passed away yesterday. USA upset England 1 to 0 in the 1950 World Cup, held in Brazil.. That English team had two players that would eventually be knighted, Alf Ramsey and Tom Finney. Walter Bahr took a shot from about 25 yards out that Joe Gaetjens deflected past goalkeeper Bert Williams with a diving header for the game winner. Walt was portrayed by Wes Bentley in the movie The Game of their Lives". USA would not return to the World Cup for 40 years after that win......A small aside; Walter's sons, Matt & Chris were place kickers in the NFL. Chris kicked for the Bengals and other teams. Matt kicked for the Steelers, Browns, Giants & Patriots in a long career. Matt was also an excellent soccer player. When he retired from the NFL, he joined the Mt. Lebo soccer club that I was playing for and played a few seasons. I was the stopper playing in front of his sweeper position. Matt's leg was so strong that he would continuously drive his goal kicks out of bounds to the opposing team's 5 yd. line, making them take a throw in deep in their own territory. I was forming up a new club at that time and I asked him to play for me. He said yes, but before the season started he called me and said Parcells had just hired him as a coach for the Jets, so he had to beg off. I've always joked that I got outbid for Matt Bahr by the NFL :lol:....

If Spain can take care of business and Iran quits flopping we should have them out of the tournament.

Last edited by a moderator: