Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 155 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I hope we see The Strangers again, their new movie was pretty damn great. Always wanted them to be an HHNH staple.
For some reason I forgot about Sinister. Considering that was -EASILY- the best part of HOB, I'd love to see that return and tackle some new scenes. I've never been on board with giving that a full maze, but I do think seeing it again could be a lot of fun.
Someone mentioned HOH a few pages back and it really got me thinking, like damn, I sure as hell miss it. I was one of the few that appreciated some of the overlays. This new TWDA has really brought that venue to a standstill and we'll NEVER get variety there again. I just wish they used HOH appropriately each year and made it more of an "evolution of horror" maze and literally took out 2-3 scenes every year and put in something new and current, from Uni's library ofcourse. Instead, they drove it into the ground until people hated it and now we're stuck with something truly stale. I miss that smell of adventure when going into the tombs.
BRING BACK HOH/GIVE US A HOH DARK RIDE!!!

I hope we see The Strangers again, their new movie was pretty damn great. Always wanted them to be an HHNH staple.
For some reason I forgot about Sinister. Considering that was -EASILY- the best part of HOB, I'd love to see that return and tackle some new scenes. I've never been on board with giving that a full maze, but I do think seeing it again could be a lot of fun.
Someone mentioned HOH a few pages back and it really got me thinking, like damn, I sure as hell miss it. I was one of the few that appreciated some of the overlays. This new TWDA has really brought that venue to a standstill and we'll NEVER get variety there again. I just wish they used HOH appropriately each year and made it more of an "evolution of horror" maze and literally took out 2-3 scenes every year and put in something new and current, from Uni's library ofcourse. Instead, they drove it into the ground until people hated it and now we're stuck with something truly stale. I miss that smell of adventure when going into the tombs.

Saw this a few days ago. Would love Sinister to come back with the other Snuff films represented, as less black hallways in Sinister 2. I hope UCM lives up to HoH since that was a GOAT

Reactions: marip123

Forever hoping we get a House of Horrors dark ride for USH someday.. basically cross the old HOH with Disney's Haunted Mansion and a slight sprinkling of ROTM, could make one hell of a ride :)

Reactions: marip123
Orlando is really doing a great job pushing their 80’s themed year. I think I read a rumor of having a mashup of B-movies with the facade being a video rental store.

Looking at our event in comparison to ours makes me weep how minimalistic our creative team is. Why can’t we get a themed event?

They’re also getting Wizard of Oz and a maze based off an abandoned carnival junkyard. I hope this year ends up well in HW but Orlando is killing it, I think that 8th house spread our budget too thin

Orlando is really doing a great job pushing their 80’s themed year. I think I read a rumor of having a mashup of B-movies with the facade being a video rental store.

Looking at our event in comparison to ours makes me weep how minimalistic our creative team is. Why can’t we get a themed event?

Someone needs to straight up ask John Murdy one day why he doesn't do theming and storylines.. there's a way to do that and still promote IPs at the same time..

Even when Murdy does "originals" it's so generic that it hurts. It's rarely clever or something to get excited about. Also, being someone who writes for a living, they always lack a story. Urban Inferno is the perfect example of "I want to do a satanic theme" and then just does a paint by numbers version of satanic worshippers and demons.

I honestly feel like people on the creative team take the fact that this is Hollywood and use that as the universal answer as to why we basically only do IP mazes; movies are made here, and it's what "separates us from all the others", something I'm sure they keep telling themselves during planning.

Tinfoil hat time:
I think we started off great with La Llorona, El Cucuy, Vampyre and WTMN. Keeping with that consistent quality, I'd verge to bet we'd be entirely all original by now with IPs being a rarity. Then Murdy ran it into the ground, drilled into the foundation, mined into prehistoric times, dived into the center of the earth, and dropped it in the 7th layer of hell with the god awful Black Sabbath, ACGTH, and Clowns mazes that the GP never wanted anything original ever again if it meant we had to have abominations like those. This isn't even mentioning Universal Monsters Remix -- he OWES us a genuine UCM maze after subjecting us to that diaper receptacle -- FOR TWO YEARS!
But maybe that was the plan. Maybe he hated doing original mazes and so he just made them consistently worse until they tested on surveys as the lowest ranked. Now he'll always have the excuse that Hollywood is branded this way and corporate won't allow it. CHESS NOT CHECKERS.
I'm onto you, Murdy...

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinfoil hat time:
I think we started off great with La Llorona, El Cucuy, Vampyre and WTMN. Keeping with that consistent quality, I'd verge to bet we'd be entirely all original by now with IPs being a rarity. Then Murdy ran it into the ground, drilled into the foundation, mined into prehistoric times, dived into the center of the earth, and dropped it in the 7th layer of hell with the god awful Black Sabbath, ACGTH, and Clowns mazes that the GP never wanted anything original ever again if it meant we had to have abominations like those. This isn't even mentioning Universal Monsters Remix -- he OWES us a genuine UCM maze after subjecting us to that diaper receptacle -- FOR TWO FU%KING YEARS!
But maybe that was the plan. Maybe he hated doing original mazes and so he just made them consistently worse until they tested on surveys as the lowest ranked. Now he'll always have the excuse that Hollywood is branded this way and corporate won't allow it. CHESS NOT CHECKERS.
I'm onto you, Murdy...

I'm glad you brought this up because I've been thinking about this as well. I think creative got caught up with the pop culture sponsorships like Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper thinking that those were going to drive people to come to the event for those original mazes. But to be honest (not to downplay their legacy) but those artists aren't exactly hot topics anymore and I think they greatly overestimated their influence on the GP. I don't think that the GP necessarily hated those mazes, I just don't think they got much of a reaction out of them compared to the other mazes of that year mainly because more emphases seemed to be put on which star of yesteryear was involved in the creative process rather than the actual content of the maze. I think Clowns 3D was a perfect example of this and I feel like that maze really put the nail in the coffin as far as original mazes coming to the event.

Last edited: