Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show

Universal Studios Japan has massive retractable light towers around their lagoon

I hope the lasers from CineSpec get upgraded. Seemed kinda weak.

Also, did they remove the spotlights from the top of the San Fran facades from cinespeec? Maybe they'll get reused?

Not sure, but I think Uni replaced pretty much everything. From the looks of it, everything is brand new.

Universal Studios Japan has massive retractable light towers around their lagoon

I hope the lasers from CineSpec get upgraded. Seemed kinda weak.

Also, did they remove the spotlights from the top of the San Fran facades from cinespeec? Maybe they'll get reused?
Saw those as well..Interesting that they wouldn't be replaced...And they're in the same spots they used to be

From the looks of it, there are a few normal sized ones at the top, probably for moving head lights, and then two very large enclosures at the bottom. Whatever is going at the bottom appears to be very big. The placement seems odd. We'll have to see what they use them for. From where they're placed, my guess would be that they will light up the buildings.

Top fixtures are Claypaky Mythos 2s, Supersharpys or the Hepikos (though I'd be surprised if they choose to employ wash fixtures from two manufacturers). Bottom fixtures are Robe BMFL WashBeams. This is only based on what I see, so the the configuration on other towers may be different.

I asked about this because I know the retracting poles at World of Color were incredibly expensive and were problematic... Probably the cost of this entire show. I worked on Fantasmic at Disneyland and the expense of the retracting poles there could buy you an entire dark ride. I'd rather Universal put that money into the show quality itself.

I'm glad you brought this up, but I dispute the notion that these towers are problematic. People should appreciate the level of quality and attention Disney puts into their shows. These World of Color towers aren't necessary, but Disney went out of their way to construct these very expensive show masts so that they could maintain sightlines during the day. No one else comes close to matching this level of commitment, and no guest or fan ever brings this up.

You can argue all you want about an attraction's creativity, but you cannot argue that Disney spends and continues to spend top dollar on most of their nighttime spectaculars. This level of technical creativity and know-how remains unmatched, yet is completely ignored when fans try to compare competing parks. It's a shame.

Don’t turn this into a “Disney does it right” debate y’all.

Joe, I know where those scanners were located and they were nestled in front of a bush that remained out-of-sight to most guests. It's not at all equivalent. You can't compare a show element that's hidden from the perspective of most to something that's viewable from almost every angle of the lagoon.

Last edited:
Top fixtures are Claypaky Mythos 2s, Supersharpys or the Hepikos (though I'd be surprised if they choose to employ wash fixtures from two manufacturers). Bottom fixtures are Robe BMFL WashBeams. This is only based on what I see, so the the configuration on other towers may be different.

I'm glad you brought this up, but I dispute the notion that these towers are problematic. People should appreciate the level of quality and attention Disney puts into their shows. These World of Color towers aren't necessary, but Disney went out of their way to construct these very expensive show masts so that they could maintain sightlines during the day. No one else comes close to matching this level of commitment, and no guest or fan ever brings this up.

You can argue all you want about an attraction's creativity, but you cannot argue that Disney spends and continues to spend top dollar on most of their nighttime spectaculars. This level of technical creativity and know-how remains unmatched, yet is completely ignored when fans try to compare competing parks. It's a shame.

tenor.gif

New pics from Bio of what a lot of people were expecting. Epic Cargo crates theming the projectors.
View attachment 7005 View attachment 7006 View attachment 7007 View attachment 7008 View attachment 7009

Glad to see that they are getting right along in theming the projectors, as I can't wait for the finished looks.

Joe, I know where those scanners were located and they were nestled in front of a bush that remained out-of-sight to most guests. It's not at all equivalent. You can't compare a show element that's hidden from the perspective of most to something that's viewable from almost every angle of the lagoon.

Hey Jon, good to see you back!

I agree, that’s why for that reason and the fact the discussion would have turned into photos of hidden/exposed show equipment at both resorts I asked for it to stop. It would have added nothing to the conversation. Sorry I should have been more clear.

For Universal to move forward it needs to step up its game and define its own quality. I believe this includes stop going “but Disney” on everything. Things can be good on their own without other qualifiers (plus it removes the inevitable bad show at Disney).

Hey Jon, good to see you back!

I agree, that’s why for that reason and the fact the discussion would have turned into photos of hidden/exposed show equipment at both resorts I asked for it to stop. It would have added nothing to the conversation. Sorry I should have been more clear.

For Universal to move forward it needs to step up its game and define its own quality. I believe this includes stop going “but Disney” on everything. Things can be good on their own without other qualifiers (plus it removes the inevitable bad show at Disney).
At the very least truss alerts guests that there is some kind of show in that area....People expect a show at Cindy's castle or in the Epcot lagoon...They don't know that Universal is doing one every night

I agree, that’s why for that reason and the fact the discussion would have turned into photos of hidden/exposed show equipment at both resorts I asked for it to stop.

No Joe, we don't agree. You're missing the point I made completely. There is no false equivalence here. The photos of hidden and exposed show equipment at Disney don't at all compare to the same instances that are evident at Universal for their nighttime shows. That's why I'm trying to point out. Disney has repeatedly shown that they're willing to take the extra step to hide show equipment whenever possible. That's why you see them making significant investments in show pits and retracting objects in areas where an existing theme exists. Are they perfect? Of course not. But make no mistake: they make more of an attempt than not compared to Universal.

Just because fans don't understand or see this type of investment does not mean it doesn't exist. Don't even get me started on the quality of equipment Disney employs compared to Universal. Again, it does not come close - and this is not up for interpretation. Ask any industry professional who continues to further the art of audio and lighting in the theme park industry, and they will almost always certainly say Disney.

Last edited:
In regards to Universal and the lighting, I actually do side with Jon and don't.

Why I do, is that they had the time, the money, and the commitment to at-least do something of the sort, especially with the new viewing area being constructed; it could've been an easy out for them to bring something of the sort for Universal's show...however.

We have to take into account of where exactly the show is being located, and that I would wonder if they thought of doing it, but may of caused damage to perhaps the area around it? I am not entirely clear about how it works, but I would wonder if it's an issue regarding around sediment and the land not being sustainable enough to construct pits like that of what we see for Osaka (or in turn, World of Color at DCA).

No Joe, we don't agree. You're missing the point I made completely. There is no false equivalence here. The photos of hidden and exposed show equipment at Disney don't at all compare to the same instances that are evident at Universal for their nighttime shows. That's why I'm trying to point out. Disney has repeatedly shown that they're willing to take the extra step to hide show equipment whenever possible. That's why you see them making significant investments in show pits and retracting objects in areas where an existing theme exists. Are they perfect? Of course not. But make no mistake: they make more of an attempt than not compared to Universal.

Just because fans don't understand or see this type of investment does not mean it doesn't exist. Don't even get me started on the quality of equipment Disney employs compared to Universal. Again, it does not come close - and this is not up for interpretation. Ask any industry professional who continues to further the art of audio and lighting in the theme park industry, and they will almost always certainly say Disney.

I agree with you completely. But lets also remember that Disney is on another level of spend and revenue as Universal. Disney can afford to spend more and do more than Universal, because they have significantly more revenue generated from their parks department.
While I mentioned this a week or so ago, people tried to argue with me that Comcast can easily afford it- which is not my point. Of course Comcast can. But if the parks and resorts department doesn't generate the revenue to support the spend, then they aren't going to spend the money. Disney is on another level with their technology and spend because they're on another level with revenue and attendance- they can afford to do more.
If park 3 gets or is projected to get UOR attendance and revenue closer to WDW, then we should expect that level of commitment at that point. Will they? That's an unknown. But until they get to that level, I don't think UOR should be expected to do the things to the level Disney does.
I do concede that Universal does more with what they have than Disney does in most cases (i.e.- they are more efficient).
But no matter how bad people on this forum want Universal to be a peer or equal of Disney, the truth is they aren't. Not yet. It's simple finances.

Last edited:
I'm not buying the show name. I still believe that "Epic" will somehow be included on it.

Why would they change it now, to when they are using "Universal's Cinematic Celebration" on the marketing for the show, and on the main site? Why confuse people further when they put out an established name out already? :crazy:

Why do the boxes say Epic?

You could say that within those boxes, something Epic comes out in the nighttime, hence why they are named that. :tease: :toast:

In all seriousness, I just think they needed something to cover the boxes up, hence why we see it disguised as part of a Shipping/Cargo company name.

In all seriousness, I just think they needed something to cover the boxes up, hence why we see it disguised as part of a Shipping/Cargo company name.

No hidden easter egg? That doesn't seem like Universal- they always seem to throw a little nugget in here and there. And if not, why not? I love it when they throw little things in. Couldve been crates from 8th wonder exploration company or something from Jaws is always nice.

No hidden easter egg? That doesn't seem like Universal- they always seem to throw a little nugget in here and there. And if not, why not? I love it when they throw little things in. Couldve been crates from 8th wonder exploration company or something from Jaws is always nice.

It may be a scenario to where we have to remind ourselves that it's not just Universal being involved, but Thinkwell. So perhaps in the wake of it, we may of had an issue to where this was the choice of the vendor and not of Universal's A&D/UC divisions.

We have to take into account of where exactly the show is being located, and that I would wonder if they thought of doing it, but may of caused damage to perhaps the area around it?

No, we don’t. Animal Kingdom was able to hide audio and lighting elements for Rivers of Light, and Tokyo DisneySea was able to build approximately 50 show pits around the lagoon. The same could also be said about Tom Sawyer Island at Disneyland and the constraints Disney needed to work around to hide massive show infrastructure in an already established (and in many cases, iconic) land.

I do concede that Universal does more with what they have than Disney does in most cases (i.e.- they are more efficient).

Sorry, I don’t buy this either, nor do I think it really matters in the grand scheme of things. Someone made the argument that Disney spent too much on the wooden planks at World of Color. My response: who cares? Both Universal and Disney charge similar ticket prices, so why wouldn’t you want to get more value for your dollar? Plus, those planks have stood the test of time in the face of adverse environmental conditions.

Plus, some have bristled at Universal’s recent braggadocio nature for the last several years. I agree that Universal and Disney are not on the same consistent level, but I think it also needs to be said that it is Universal who often does the boasting in a way that directly or indirectly disparages their competitors.

Sorry, I don’t buy this either, nor do I think it really matters in the grand scheme of things. Someone made the argument that Disney spent too much on the wooden planks at World of Color. My response: who cares? Both Universal and Disney charge similar ticket prices, so why wouldn’t you want to get more value for your dollar? Plus, those planks have stood the test of time in the face of adverse environmental conditions.

And who cares if you can see a lighting rig if the show turns out to be good/great?

No one, outside of a handful of forum posters.