Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

I’ve heard a lot of talk about icons at HNN and was wondering if it really makes a huge difference at the event. I’ve only seen Chance as an icon. I moved to Philadelphia in December of 09 and never went to HHN prior as I was in 6th grade and my parents hate haunted houses. My first year was 23 and I went 24 as well. I was a sophomore and junior in high school. I flew down and went with my best childhood friend then he moved to CA for college and I missed 25. I went again 26 and 27 now that I go to USF for the last 2 years its easy to get to the event. I’m wondering. How big a part icons were of the event because it seemed Chance didn’t make a big difference. We’re past icons better represented or just more scary? I’ve always been interested in the event since I was a kid and always went on the sites and did all the interactive stuff and I know all the stories of all characters houses and events. I just wanna know from people who saw the old icons did they really change the event that much?

I’ve heard a lot of talk about icons at HNN and was wondering if it really makes a huge difference at the event.

I've been to the event 3 times with Icons with 21, 25, and 26. I'll say that with 25, yes, it absolutely made a difference. With Jack's show, the background music throughout the parks featuring snippets of Jack, and the like, it gave the event a cohesive, unifying experience.

Lady Luck and Chance, however, did no such thing.

So I'll say that when an icon is done right, yes, it absolutely makes a huge difference, IMO.

I've been to the event 3 times with Icons with 21, 25, and 26. I'll say that with 25, yes, it absolutely made a difference. With Jack's show, the background music throughout the parks featuring snippets of Jack, and the like, it gave the event a cohesive, unifying experience.

Lady Luck and Chance, however, did no such thing.

So I'll say that when an icon is done right, yes, it absolutely makes a huge difference, IMO.
The Icons have ranged the gamut from setting the stage for the whole event and adding greatly: Jack, Caretaker, Director
Unnecessary/Underused: Chance and Terra Queen
All the way to taking away from the even: Lady Luck and Fear

With Jack's show, the background music throughout the parks featuring snippets of Jack, and the like, it gave the event a cohesive, unifying experience.

I think we need to pause one second and examine this statement.

First off, I agree completely. 25 was a fantastic year, and it really did feel extremely well thought out and put together. I also love Jack and Chance.

Now to my point.

One could argue that, it wasn't the presence of an icon that made that year so great, it was the fact that the event had a cohesiveness to hit.

And I think that right there is marketing's argument to straying away from using icons. They can make a great event tied around an interesting theme, rather than spending time and budget trying to create new and interesting characters (or use existing ones in new and interesting ways).

Last year was kind of a flub as far as that goes; but, we can chalk that up to growing pains. I think they've got a much more solid grip on execution of that idea this year. I don't think anyone would argue that everything we've seen around the '80s theme has been top notch so far.

All the way to taking away from the even: Lady Luck

Eh. I'm not sure LL took away from the event. I'd put her in the unnecessary column.

One could argue that, it wasn't the presence of an icon that made that year so great, it was the fact that the event had a cohesiveness to hit.

And I think that right there is marketing's argument to straying away from using icons. They can make a great event tied around an interesting theme, rather than spending time and budget trying to create new and interesting characters (or use existing ones in new and interesting ways).

Last year was kind of a flub as far as that goes; but, we can chalk that up to growing pains. I think they've got a much more solid grip on execution of that idea this year. I don't think anyone would argue that everything we've seen around the '80s theme has been top notch so far.

I mean, marketing was 100% the reason the event was a mess last year. Creative had ideas to make a great, unifying theme, and they were all shot down by marketing (or so I'd heard).

I'm also not convinced that this year is turning out to be all that more cohesive. The Harvest makes absolutely no sense from the theme perspective, and that's the zone right at the front of the park. In the era that gave us the video store, your IP showcase zone is set in...a barn? And another "Scarecrow" themed street? I just don't see how that's in theme

We'll see. I hope the event feels unified, but so far I'm seeing an idea for a theme that isn't going to play out in the streets.

I think we need to pause one second and examine this statement.

First off, I agree completely. 25 was a fantastic year, and it really did feel extremely well thought out and put together. I also love Jack and Chance.

Now to my point.

There's a issue with that last part, though. All we've seen of the 80s theme is a website. And even then, it's just VHS tapes. The TV isn't even anywhere notable. Sure, most of the houses and zones have an intentional 80s-throwback vibe, but what if all the light patterns and music used throughout the rest of the park are distinctively out of synch with that?

Fact of the matter is that icons aren't necessary. Hell, cohesion isn't really necessary. HHN 21 was actually a remarkably cohesive event, visually. It just wasn't a good theme. Even Jack was only super effective in 25. He was just kinda there in his previous appearances. If we're discussing actual necessity within the structure of the event, the Director was the first (and arguably only) to hit it out of the park. You were constantly reminded that year that he was filming you for his snuff films.

I really do hate it when fans say "this is going to be the best year ever" when houses aren't even built yet. I'm seriously expecting people to be disappointed with Stranger Things because what they EXPECT in the house is very likely what they're not getting. Universal doesn't even know how well this year will go. They don't know until October.

There's a issue with that last part, though. All we've seen of the 80s theme is a website. And even then, it's just VHS tapes. The TV isn't even anywhere notable. Sure, most of the houses and zones have an intentional 80s-throwback vibe, but what if all the light patterns and music used throughout the rest of the park are distinctively out of synch with that?

Fact of the matter is that icons aren't necessary. Hell, cohesion isn't really necessary. HHN 21 was actually a remarkably cohesive event, visually. It just wasn't a good theme. Even Jack was only super effective in 25. He was just kinda there in his previous appearances. If we're discussing actual necessity within the structure of the event, the Director was the first (and arguably only) to hit it out of the park. You were constantly reminded that year that he was filming you for his snuff films.

I really do hate it when fans say "this is going to be the best year ever" when houses aren't even built yet. I'm seriously expecting people to be disappointed with Stranger Things because what they EXPECT in the house is very likely what they're not getting. Universal doesn't even know how well this year will go. They don't know until October.

I agree with this a lot. I love the hype of the fans but all it leads to is empty promises that never should’ve been made. No one knows what they are going to see and how it will be shown. I think ST is going to be a house that gets over hyped like AHS and isn’t even that good and nowhere near worthy of the wait that will accumulate for it.

Sure, most of the houses and zones have an intentional 80s-throwback vibe, but what if all the light patterns and music used throughout the rest of the park are distinctively out of synch with that?

And that first part was my point as far as this year goes. You can see that they're actually putting effort into the theme.

Sure things can still fall apart if they lose focus and/or get lazy with the actual execution of the event. But, things look positive so far.

I agree with this a lot. I love the hype of the fans but all it leads to is empty promises that never should’ve been made. No one knows what they are going to see and how it will be shown. I think ST is going to be a house that gets over hyped like AHS and isn’t even that good and nowhere near worthy of the wait that will accumulate for it.
I've got a REALLY good idea. I'd predict the reaction to Stranger Things to be similar to...
Silent Hill.

See, now I fully understand why Chance is largely derided as an Icon, I really do; she greatly suffered from the lack of a show devoted to her specifically IMO, and her house was pretty average.

The statement I take issue with, however, is that she didn't have a big enough presence at the event, or that the event didn’t have at least some unifying elements. I feel like the marketing dropped the ball for sure, but the moment you walked into the event the first scarezone told you where you were: within the theater of Chance’s mind (cue the St. Elsewhere theme). All of the houses were things she was imagining, whether it was media she was familiar with, or more original ideas. Throughout the night too, if you listened to the music, you could hear her thoughts floating in and out as well, like you were walking through her scattered brain. Not to mention all of the merch and theming surrounding the comedy and tragedy masks, and the ability to interact directly with her throughout the night.

Don’t get me wrong 25 was FAR superior in terms of a unifying Icon, but I think the steps they took with Chance were at least effective! I hope we see something at least a bit similar this year in terms of 80’s iconography and audio throughout the park (c’mon neon/geometric patterns! But even that I'm tempering my expectations on)