Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show

Apologize for the water marks (it's clearly incredibly difficult to find purposeful photography featuring show equipment)... but here is how Efteling themes their similar show lighting for their water show.

It's a reasonable alternative, if it's going to be visible.

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 4.53.37 PM.png

As much as I admire the creatives at Universal, you have to admit that they have created some unworthy stinker night shows in the past. They aren’t without prior faults on a number of fronts from entertainment to attractions.

No doubt. CineSpec was beyond lame, outside of a few moments

Apologize for the water marks (it's clearly incredibly difficult to find purposeful photography featuring show equipment)... but here is how Efteling themes their similar show lighting for their water show.

View attachment 7022
I’d definitely be good with that

View attachment 7022
Just visited Efteling for the first time. What a wonderful park...and I love how they cover stuff up like they did with their water show!

Disney has the luxury of a culture that usually recognizes the advantages of taking a holistic approach to show design that remains unmatched. If you compare the infrastructure of Universal’s Islands of Adventure and Disney California Adventure, they’re in different categories altogether.

You do make some fair points. There is absolutely a culture of institutional knowledge at Disney that helps them get to a certain level of product faster.... But that is currently changing on both ends.

I think Universal is really trying with this show. It seems that a lot of good decisions are being made. I know that the public's support is ultimately going to sway whether they continue down that path or not. That ultimately depends on the final product of the show.

You do make some fair points. There is absolutely a culture of institutional knowledge at Disney that helps them get to a certain level of product faster.... But that is currently changing on both ends.

I think Universal is really trying with this show. It seems that a lot of good decisions are being made. I know that the public's support is ultimately going to sway whether they continue down that path or not. That ultimately depends on the final product of the show.

Ding ding ding - and that's my point. I hope Universal's new show is good, but I'm also not going to give them a pass if it's not. Their output will be judged based on their competitors, and their competitors certainly aren't poor.

I think you and I will continue to disagree on the direction of both Disney and Universal, but I'm glad we could reach a general consensus.

As much as I admire the creatives at Universal, you have to admit that they have created some unworthy stinker night shows in the past. They aren’t without prior faults on a number of fronts from entertainment to attractions.
Am I correct in thinking that the past two nighttime shows have been fast tracked? I believe they had a couple of months to develop Universal 360....And Aiello was fresh in his new role during the development of Cinespec

I believe those factors have influenced things a bit

Full testing with pyro, projection, fountains, etc just finished. Started at 10:00 and ended at exactly 10:19.

The projections - from what I could see - were great and spanned pretty wide. The pyro was baby pyro, but I’d also say it’s the best I’ve seen in a Universal show. When I say “baby pyro” I mean in the shells used. There is a nice dose of it used though.

The fountains looked great too. Can’t wair to see this from the viewing area!

Full testing with pyro, projection, fountains, etc just finished. Started at 10:00 and ended at exactly 10:19.

The projections - from what I could see - were great and spanned pretty wide. The pyro was baby pyro, but I’d also say it’s the best I’ve seen in a Universal show. When I say “baby pyro” I mean in the shells used. There is a nice dose of it used though.

Where did you view from, citwalk?

Here is the question of the day, did the BPyro remind you of the Nighttime Lights pyro in how it's used?

I...don't agree? Sure it can help, but I'm almost positive Rivers of Light has superior equipment than Fantasmic or Illuminations does, but it in no way, shape, or form is a better show.
I actually wouldn't bet on it having better quality equipment than Illuminations, tbh. the stuff used in that show is very impressive and the show has been receiving tech upgrades all around during the past few years.

Mike Aiello wasn't at the helm of the prior nighttime shows though.

Any exploding shells?

Nighttime lights is all mines
Much (most) of it was mines. I think the finale had some exploding shells, but I can't be too sure - maybe I just mistook a bunch of mines going off at once as something greater. It was nothing crazy firework-wise, but again, being so close to residential Universal really can only do so much. That's one thing i'm looking forward to with Park 3 - a full-scale Universal fireworks show.

Last edited: