The Incredibles II | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

The Incredibles II

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Didn't really like it at all. Felt like a "case of the week" instead of a significant emotional nexus for its characters. Agreed with the consensus that Helen had practically no arc, internal conflict, or development. The film's philosophical underpinnings were undercooked and had very limited bearing on the plot.

Bird really knows how to direct action - there are some stunning sequences here - but you could tell he just didn't have his heart in this.

Boxofficemojo says is the eighth biggest opening weekend of all time (domestically) for any genre ... ahead of Captain America: Civil War etc ... !!

I've been pleasantly surprised this Summer how huge the original looms in the minds of young Millennials. At Incredibles trivia, there were plenty of 20-somethings who could quote this movie the way my generation quoted Star Wars. They've been waiting a decade and a half for this sequel, they were going to show up opening weekend. Throw in the fact there's not a lot else for kids out there right now, I think this will have decent legs despite its weak spots.

I've been pleasantly surprised this Summer how huge the original looms in the minds of young Millennials. At Incredibles trivia, there were plenty of 20-somethings who could quote this movie the way my generation quoted Star Wars. They've been waiting a decade and a half for this sequel, they were going to show up opening weekend. Throw in the fact there's not a lot else for kids out there right now, I think this will have decent legs despite its weak spots.
Depending how strong late legs are, it could surpass Black Panther as the highest grossing of the year. I don't see either of the July animated movies making a dent like Secret Life of Pets did to Finding Dory

Reactions: SeventyOne

And the reason I've been guarding my expectations (not sure when I'll see it) is because of how many Gen-X hearts were broken by the SW prequels.

Is I2 the same way? Some say yes, others no. At least Nostalgia Critic gave it high marks.

I liked it a lot. It didn't have the same emotional impact or high stakes from the first one, but it's easily the best animated film of the year so far. As far as Phantom Menace comparisons go, it isn't nearly as bad as that. Most of the negative reviews for Incredibles 2 are hovering around "good, but not great." Phantom Menace was simply "bad."

Last edited:

I think everyone’s been in agreement over the years, that if any Pixar film deserved a sequel, it was Incredibles. There is also that whole age group of kids who grew up with the first and have nostalgia towards it.

That said, I thought it was fine for what it was. It doesn’t sniff the first, and that’s ok. The threat just doesn’t seem as large. Syndrome was such a good and memorable villain. It’s lacking in that department here.

I also want to add, as I’m sitting in a theatre for a sequel, practically every trailer they showed is for a sequel, remake, spinoff etc. Hollywood is really running out of original ideas.

Last thing. This was the first Pixar movie I’ve seen in theatres since probably Toy Story 3. So I forgot about the obligatory Pixar short before the movie. But wow, that really hit me in the feels I wasn’t expecting to feel before the movie

This movie is really putting up huge numbers for weekdays. Pulled in $23M Monday and $27M on Tuesday, good enough for the 6th best Tuesday gross of all-time and 4th highest non-opening Tuesday. All three movies ahead of it on the Non-opening chart are Star Wars films.

As far as Phantom Menace comparisons go, it isn't nearly as bad as that. Most of the negative reviews for Incredibles 2 are hovering around "good, but not great." Phantom Menace was simply "bad."

It's much more Return of the Jedi. Perfectly fine Summer popcorn flick until you remember the movie that came before it.

Reactions: jtsalien and Clive
Just got back from it, as mentioned before on here, it's a nice, serviceable popcorn flick. There are some really nice action sequences and humor, though it feels like a tale of two arcs.

The arc with Bob and the kids is essentially the superhero version of "Mr. Mom", and for me this was the strongest arc. A lot of great humor, and a little bit of heart to it as well.

Then we have the arc with Helen, which has some great action sequences, but not much else. There is the villain of the Screenslaver, but unfortunately the villain is easily the weakest aspect of the film in many ways...
1. They do the whole secret identity/reveal, which I'm not the biggest fan of unless it's a full-on mystery film. Here it was really obvious who the Screenslaver was, so it was a case of waiting till Helen found out which feels like a drag.
2. Once the Screenslaver's identity was revealed, we also got their motivations which just didn't work for me as it could get torn apart quite easily. Not to mention what they were doing in general was also muddling their plans/ideals.

With that double whammy, the film just doesn't have a good villain, and for me a good villain is key for a good superhero film.
While the film isn't bad, it's just not a good as the first which is a little bummer.

Some notes

- Craig T. Nelson and his performance was outstanding. It's such a great character arc for Bob, and allows the relationship Bob gains with his children, to not only be that much engaging, but entertaining as hell
- Sarah Powell and Samuel Jackson are not that far behind for me, especially how Powell does Violet. I love how she works in the film, and that Samuel Jackson for me, will always be a win.
- The villain, and motives, are weak. Syndrome, is the better villain, but there is more to it than just reason, but ambition.

I loved the film, and outside of Helen/Elastigirl's arc being a bit weak, is up to what I wanted from the first film. Now, as long as it doesn't take them 14 more years for a third sequel, then we are good.\

(Also, as a side-note, Bao was creepy, heartwarming, and kind-of fascinating to watch all in that manner. There is, no in-between.)

I enjoyed the heck out of it. As I sit here... No. It doesn't hold up like the original. But that's such a high bar. I wish more movies could "disappoint" with such great humor, action, performances, and score :lol:

Not saying the film doesn't have issues. But it's a fun, well made ride.