Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 243 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Loch Ness Monster is a perfect example of awesome steel in a theme park.

lrg-1020-img_3355.jpg

As beautiful as the day she was built. 40 years and going strong!:love:

As beautiful as the day she was built. 40 years and going strong!:love:
A resounding yes. I rode this for the first time during BGW's second season. It was the first time I had ever seen a coaster with an immersive queue, at least for it's time period. They have since cut it down a bit over the years. But the coaster is still fun, and that descent into the river valley, and ride through the forest, is still probably the most beautiful coaster ride I've ever experienced. Damn, BGW is such a beautiful park. It's a shame it stagnated, or even went backwards, during 9-10 years of In Bev & then Blackstone cost cutting and poor management....But, fortunately, Loch Ness is still there in all its grandeur and beauty.

Six Flags Over Georgia is the worst theme park i've ever been too. Reminds me of a glorified go-kart place with some coasters.
That's my home park you are talking about. :box:

It has been going strong for over 50 years. It has its good and bad points but is still a great park to visit. It has one more RMC coaster than all of Florida combined.

All I see is a mess of steel among beautiful scenery. What would be interesting as a “Loch Ness Monster” attraction would be if there was an old Scottish Castle right there. Then maybe in the basement/dungeon there’s a modern research team looking for said creature and you board 20k leagues (Tokyo) style subs to go on an expedition. Or, just lazily slap the name on a mess of steel and call it “themed.”
Actually, some of your ideas are there. The original queue was very well themed & immersive, and it featured an early 20th century search team, deep dive suits, crates etc, a lot like the Everest queue, but a bit shorter version. The queue, though, has been stripped of some of that over the years. And the ride is set in the Scotland land of BGW. The land is highly themed to Scotland. When the Busch family ran the park, the Budweiser Clydesdales were housed there in an immaculately clean barn, the beer wagons, with an adjacent pasture. Scottish music and bagpipes were piped through the land that was immersive as all heck. It felt like you were in Scotland. And the coaster went through tunnels with Scottish fog and lighting effects......My GF doesn't care much for coasters, and rarely wants to ride them. But she loves Loch Ness Monster, and once rode it eight times in one day. You really need to ride this to understand how enjoyable it is, and a lot of that is the ambiance of the ride. It no longer claims any technical or thrill firsts, but it is FUN, with all capital letters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andysol
Actually, some of your ideas are there. The original queue was very well themed & immersive, and it featured an early 20th century search team, deep dive suits, crates etc, a lot like the Everest queue, but a bit shorter version. The queue, though, has been stripped of some of that over the years. And the ride is set in the Scotland land of BGW. The land is highly themed to Scotland. When the Busch family ran the park, the Budweiser Clydesdales were housed there in an immaculately clean barn, the beer wagons, with an adjacent pasture. Scottish music and bagpipes were piped through the land that was immersive as all heck. It felt like you were in Scotland. And the coaster went through tunnels with Scottish fog and lighting effects.

The Clydesdale pasture is still there. Last time I was at the park they still had 2 horses, and a bunch of sheep.

Also, they added the lighting effects back to the tunnel for the 40th anniversary, apparently.

Reactions: Mad Dog
All I see is a mess of steel among beautiful scenery. What would be interesting as a “Loch Ness Monster” attraction would be if there was an old Scottish Castle right there. Then maybe in the basement/dungeon there’s a modern research team looking for said creature and you board 20k leagues (Tokyo) style subs to go on an expedition. Or, just lazily slap the name on a mess of steel and call it “themed.”
I can't wait for the day they put something new in DisneySea that ruins a site line...The wheeping an gnashing of teeth from Disney fans will be incredible

Also, Roller coasters are such a non issue for me, I understand that you don't like them, but they kind of announce that you are "on vacation" to me....And seeing them from the distance as your driving up to the park gives you a special sense of excitement....

I'm sure Universal would take great care of theming stuff for the new park....Hulk and Rockit are old examples, I think the HP Coaster and JP Coaster will point us to their new mindset

No offense, but this kinda makes me hope that they put a B&M flyer over Nintendo land. Might go nice with the scenery ;)

I can't wait for the day they put something new in DisneySea that ruins a site line...The wheeping an gnashing of teeth from Disney fans will be incredible

Also, Roller coasters are such a non issue for me, I understand that you don't like them, but they kind of announce that you are "on vacation" to me....And seeing them from the distance as your driving up to the park gives you a special sense of excitement....

I'm sure Universal would take great care of theming stuff for the new park....Hulk and Rockit are old examples, I think the HP Coaster and JP Coaster will point us to their new mindset
To me they announce “we don’t like to actually try, so here’s a cheap thrill.”

I would hope HP is the standard for any new coaster. Mummy would be good too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andysol
To me they announce “we don’t like to actually try, so here’s a cheap thrill.”

I would hope HP is the standard for any new coaster. Mummy would be good too.
Again, I think a 200+ coaster from Universal in 2018 would look a lot better and more integrated than one in 2008....But I don't want to continue bashing it over the head just as much as you don't want to bash your point in anymore either haha

That's my home park you are talking about. :box:

It has been going strong for over 50 years. It has its good and bad points but is still a great park to visit. It has one more RMC coaster than all of Florida combined.

there was a period of my life in the eighties when I worked off Fulton Industrial Blvd and I could see (tall parts of)six flags over GA from the parking lot at work

I think 15 "rides" is the minimum a park should shoot for. Epcot isn't even there yet as ridiculous as it is and it's going on 36 years old. Hell, if the Poppins ride happens (@Marni1971 says it's still on) Epcot would still only have 14 rides after GotG and Rat are done.
Just curious, are you counting the 360 shows in WS?

I would like to say, that while I am interested to see the SFXC in action..it hasn't been applied for reality yet.

Hell, Mission Ferrari, the first implementation of the system, has been quietly in technical hell, as it was supposed to open in May, but nothing has come up of it.

At the end of the day, don't be surprised if the coaster suppliers range more in safer choices like Intamin or Mack.

Reactions: jtsalien
I would like to say, that while I am interested to see the SFXC in action..it hasn't been applied for reality yet.

Hell, Mission Ferrari, the first implementation of the system, has been quietly in technical hell, as it was supposed to open in May, but nothing has come up of it.

At the end of the day, don't be surprised if the coaster suppliers range more in safer choices like Intamin or Mack.

Obviously Intamin could make a coaster like the SFXC, but Mack? Probably not.

Also, it’s kinda funny how we’re referring to Intamin being the safer choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.