Solo: A Star Wars Story | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Solo: A Star Wars Story

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
People change when they grow up. It had been 34 years since we last saw Luke in Return of the Jedi.
i know thats what people say but even mark hamill was against this and has been very vocal against it.
I was just saying, you cannot be surprised when people react negatively to see their hero turn into a grumpy defeatist negative loner. Specially someone as hopeful as Luke. Yeah sure people can change in 34 for years but this was too radical of a change.

And that's not even taking into account that The Last Jedi destroyed any hype that Force awakens created when Rey found luke at the end, and the look they give each other. The fact that Rey finds him was such a huge moment for the franchise. Having Luke throw the lightsaber away like that felt like a punch to the gut to so many people

And now that Snoke is dead.... who is the bad guy? Kylo? Kylo cannot carry episode 9 by himself.... thats just not possible. not only do they kill luke, but they take out the bad guy from the franchise? was this director insane? I really do not care if they never said who snoke was or give him a back story.... but you dont take out the big baddie from your franchise..... now there's no one to root against. what a mess..... Snoke was such an interesting and creepy part of Force awakens and he was such a threatening presence and now hes just dead..... yeah i cannot see how they are going to fix all of this for episode 9.

i know thats what people say but even mark hamill was against this and has been very vocal against it.
I was just saying, you cannot be surprised when people react negatively to see their hero turn into a grumpy defeatist negative loner. Specially someone as hopeful as Luke. Yeah sure people can change in 34 for years but this was too radical of a change.

And that's not even taking into account that The Last Jedi destroyed any hype that Force awakens created when Rey found luke at the end, and the look they give each other. The fact that Rey finds him was such a huge moment for the franchise. Having Luke throw the lightsaber away like that felt like a punch to the gut to so many people

And now that Snoke is dead.... who is the bad guy? Kylo? Kylo cannot carry episode 9 by himself.... thats just not possible. not only do they kill luke, but they take out the bad guy from the franchise? was this director insane? I really do not care if they never said who snoke was or give him a back story.... but you dont take out the big baddie from your franchise..... now there's no one to root against. what a mess..... Snoke was such an interesting and creepy part of Force awakens and he was such a threatening presence and now hes just dead..... yeah i cannot see how they are going to fix all of this for episode 9.
I agree that Rian closed way too many storylines in Last Jedi, but is Snoke really dead? Anything can happen. I'm not worried about who will carry Ep. 9 as a villain until I watch the movie and determine if it worked or not for myself.

As for Hamil being against it... I say who cares? Just because he PORTRAYS Luke Skywalker doesn't mean he has to agree with everything written for the character. And what I believe you are refering to is when Hamil said he got the script and was shocked at first and took it up with Rian... and then once he explained everything to him, Hamil came out of it with a better understanding and was fine with it.

if they bring back Snoke then i will be happy, he was the one thing that burned me the most about the Last jedi... I actually really did hyped up about snoke in Force awakens. I was so interested in this guy. I was so interested in how he would fit the whole trilogy. his death was such a terrible way to handle him.
I wonder how disney will fix it all up for episode 9 but they have a lot of work to do. The last Jedi also felt like a closing movie. the way it ended almost felt like the last movie of a trilogy. it didnt end leaving me wanting more. I was pretty much done with that story.

well the point is, Rose might be the most hated human character in Star wars History. I can't think of anyone else that got this much hate since little Anakin. And at least little Anakin drove the ships and participated in the race. Rose did nothing of value in the movie.
And then not only was Rose really badly written but Solo adds the most hated robot in the history of star wars with L3 37. how does this even happen? does no one check these scripts? l3 37 turned off so many people from this movie..... even some the few people that went to see Solo and liked the movie couldn't believe how terrible this android was written.... whats going on over at Disney, why are they making these mistakes?
Yeah, you're seriously overestimating how many people hate these two characters. Anyone who thinks Rose or L3 is worse than Jar Jar is delusional. :look:

And then not only was Rose really badly written but Solo adds the most hated robot in the history of star wars with L3 37. how does this even happen? does no one check these scripts? l3 37 turned off so many people from this movie..... even some the few people that went to see Solo and liked the movie couldn't believe how terrible this android was written....

This is actually the first negative reaction I've heard about L3-37. I haven't seen Solo (will wait for DVD or whatever streaming service gets it), but many reviews I read praised the character.

Man, I am such a huge Star Wars fan and have been for 35+ years, it’s by far my favourite movie franchise. But honestly, they’re just silly adventure movies with space wizards that wave laser swords around.
It’s so weird that people get SO upset about them. FURIOUS because the story didn’t go the way they wanted it to. I genuinely can’t comprehend it.
/awaits comments that I’m not a ‘real Star Wars fan’

This is actually the first negative reaction I've heard about L3-37. I haven't seen Solo (will wait for DVD or whatever streaming service gets it), but many reviews I read praised the character.

Oh boy, you don't even want to know the half of it. people saw it as a joke on activism and the whole "robot rights" made a lot of people annoyed and uncomfortable. I remember some women were offended at the robot because they felt that the robot was like a parody of people fighting serious issues. some people got annoyed at its bossiness and how obnoxious it was. Youtube and twitter are literally littered by criticisms of this robot, real criticisms not trolling.
Ill just quote some of the stuff I read before:

"First and foremost is that her angry activism is played for laughs; Solo never provides the proper safe space for her protestations to feel validated. Female anger is a powerful tool when wielded correctly and for the right reasons, but the tone here feels off, as if the film is having a laugh at the expense of her emotions, insomuch as a droid can feel and think freely. There were moments where it felt like the script was purposely telling the trolls who shout “SJW” on Twitter that they were right all along, that women are nothing more than robots spouting off what they’ve been programmed by the media to believe.

And then there’s the issue of L3’s sexuality. Her belief that droids are slaved and mistreated complicates her relationship with Lando, and makes her comments about her ability to have sex with him deeply upsetting. Her desire for sex gets into weird territory right away, and points out something glaring and problematic. As YouTuber Jenny Nicholson points out, “Droids are always boys unless they’re midwives, flight attendants, or an SJW a male character canonically had sex with.”
Ultimately, L3-37 feels like a jab at feminism and activism instead of a commentary on it. Qi’ra doesn’t take her seriously, nor does anyone else. Even worse, she’s also fridged the same way Val is; she “dies” so that Lando can feel bad, and so that her consciousness can be downloaded into the Falcon. Her worst fear – servitude – is manipulated, her agency removed; she is forevermore the ghost of what she once was, her personality stripped away from her.
The Women of Solo Deserved Better

Man, I am such a huge Star Wars fan and have been for 35+ years, it’s by far my favourite movie franchise. But honestly, they’re just silly adventure movies with space wizards that wave laser swords around.
It’s so weird that people get SO upset about them. FURIOUS because the story didn’t go the way they wanted it to. I genuinely can’t comprehend it.
/awaits comments that I’m not a ‘real Star Wars fan’

but what about being angry at the great potential JJ Abrams created and that was pushed to the side? what about the anger at all the wasted potential that was set up By JJ Himself? what about the ruining of plot lines that were supposed to carry all 3 movies? what about all of that? how can it not make people angry that they were invested in something and paid money for something to have it all screwed up now?
people are not angry because it didn't go THEIR way, people got angry because it didn't go JJ's way. there's a difference.
No one was angry with Rogue one or Solo. no one was angry with Force awakens. no one was angry with the video games,
a lot of people are angry that this one movie kind of ruined the whole set up of the entire franchise.
I understand if you guys wanted to avoid criticisms of the movie, but youtube is Filled with legitimate videos pointing out how Rian and the Last Jedi hurt this entire trilogy. you dont have to listen to me, but i could post a few good, non trollish, serious analytical videos that point out how the last jedi broke the flow of the trilogy.

but what about being angry at the great potential JJ Abrams created and that was pushed to the side? what about the anger at all the wasted potential that was set up By JJ Himself? what about the ruining of plot lines that were supposed to carry all 3 movies? what about all of that? how can it not make people angry that they were invested in something and paid money for something to have it all screwed up now?
people are not angry because it didn't go THEIR way, people got angry because it didn't go JJ's way. there's a difference.
No one was angry with Rogue one or Solo. no one was angry with Force awakens. no one was angry with the video games,
a lot of people are angry that this one movie kind of ruined the whole set up of the entire franchise.
I understand if you guys wanted to avoid criticisms of the movie, but youtube is Filled with legitimate videos pointing out how Rian and the Last Jedi hurt this entire trilogy. you dont have to listen to me, but i could post a few good, non trollish, serious analytical videos that point out how the last jedi broke the flow of the trilogy.
I don't think anger should be the word we use. After all, this is just fiction in the end. Disappointment is more the word to use, depending on how you viewed the movie.

I do think the major misstep in this new trilogy was picking three different directors (originally) to direct all three movies. You're never going to have a coherent trilogy that way. They needed to pick a director for the entire trilogy, pick a group of writers, and ride it out with them so that the movies would not only be enjoyable, but the trilogy would make sense and be completely coherent from beginning to end. This trilogy isn't that, much because of how weak Kylo is as a villain (although that's more of a character development issue). I think individually TFA and TLJ are really fun movies, but together as a story they aren't leaving me on the edge of my seat for what will happen in Episode 9.

I don't think anger should be the word we use. After all, this is just fiction in the end. Disappointment is more the word to use, depending on how you viewed the movie.

I do think the major misstep in this new trilogy was picking three different directors (originally) to direct all three movies. You're never going to have a coherent trilogy that way. They needed to pick a director for the entire trilogy, pick a group of writers, and ride it out with them so that the movies would not only be enjoyable, but the trilogy would make sense and be completely coherent from beginning to end. This trilogy isn't that, much because of how weak Kylo is as a villain (although that's more of a character development issue). I think individually TFA and TLJ are really fun movies, but together as a story they aren't leaving me on the edge of my seat for what will happen in Episode 9.

yeah it is more like annoyance and disappointed, since he used anger in his post i replied using anger as a word as well.
you cant really tell emotion in online posts either so a post might sound angry but the person writing it might just be annoyed

Kathleen Kennedy has basically said that they never had a full plan for all 3 movies and they were going to see what their directors came up with. JJ Abrams said he set up the force awakens but he did Not set up the story for all 3 movies either. he was hoping the next person would pick up from it. there are interviews of them saying this, they never had a real full plan.

The ending of the Force awakens was meant to have Luke using the Force and have big rocks floating around him when Rey found him. but they had to change the ending at last minute because Rian hated that idea and wanted to do something different with Luke.

Colin Trevorrow had really cool ideas for luke in the next movies but when Rian got control of the project I remember they were saying "This is the Rey show, not the Luke Show, you cant have luke do too much because then the movie becomes about him and people will lose interest in these new characters"

which is such a horrible thing to say because your new characters should stand on their own and should measure up to the older characters. the older characters everyone loves should not have to be put in the back to give focus to your hero.... you shouldn't have to undermine your older character to make the new character shine.

If only they had an outline for all 3 movies from the beginning.... a real outline.

Reactions: tankart150
Thanks for the kind offer, but I think we’re all good with being beat over the head with how wrong we are if we liked TLJ. I genuinely love it, how bold and progressive it is. I love how it is a study on failure, I buy into Luke completely regarding where he is in his life, I genuinely think the movie contains some of the greatest moments in the Star Wars saga.
My top 3 is now ANH, ESB, TLJ.
The movie shocked me with its decisions, but in an unexpected and satisfying way. We’re going to potentially have new Star Wars movies every year or so now for however long into the future, they can’t all just be a retread of the old movies, I want something new and different.
As much as you want to tell people like me that we’re wrong and that we just don’t want to accept criticisms of the movie, I could also spend my time linking to reviews and YouTube videos that praise the choices made in TLJ. But honestly, What does it ultimately achieve? I’m sorry that you don’t like it and hopefully once the next episode comes out, it may put it more into context for you and others that it is the 2nd part of an as yet unfinished trilogy. Who knows, the story is incomplete right now and you may even end up loving how it arrives at its destination in the end?
Ultimately though, life is too short to focus so much energy on wanting to convince others to hate something that you hate. Especially when it’s just a movie about Space Wizards. It’s all a bit ghoulish.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind offer, but I think we’re all good with being beat over the head with how wrong we are if we liked TLJ. I genuinely love it, how bold and progressive it is. I love how it is a study on failure, I buy into Luke completely regarding where he is in his life, I genuinely think the movie contains some of the greatest moments in the Star Wars saga.
My top 3 is now ANH, ESB, TLJ.
The movie shocked me with its decisions, but in an unexpected and satisfying way. We’re going to potentially have new Star Wars movies every year or so now for however long into the future, they can’t all just be a retread of the old movies, I want something new and different.
As much as you want to tell people like me that we’re wrong and that we just don’t want to accept criticisms of the movie, I could also spend my time linking to reviews and YouTube videos that praise the choices made in TLJ. But honestly, What does it ultimately achieve? I’m sorry that you don’t like it and hopefully once the next episode comes out, it may put it more into context for you and others that it is the 2nd part of an as yet unfinished trilogy. Who knows, the story is incomplete right now and you may even end up loving how it arrives at its destination in the end?
Ultimately though, life is too short to focus so much energy on wanting to convince others to hate something that you hate. Especially when it’s just a movie about Space Wizards. It’s all a bit ghoulish.

would you say that to Mark hamill?

i am a huge fan of the matrix reloaded and i am a huge fan of batman forever. another one of my favorite movies is warcraft
i know very well what it is like to love a movie with a lot of flaws or a movie that a lot of people hate.
it doesnt change the fact that they have a lot of problems, doesnt change the fact that they have bad acting. im not gonna deny their problems or assume anyone that didnt like what they did is dumb or angry or bitter. those movies to me are great but im not gonna be blind to their faults.

im sure you can find youtube vids praising the movie. i understand you loved it. it still doesnt change the fact that rian purposely went against the set up from force awakens. doesnt change that the story gets messy.

Leia flying and Holdo running her ship into another ship even ruin plot points from the original movies. People make fun of midichlorians and how that made no sense but leia flying contradicts the original movies and was worse.... thats just like a fact.

would you say that to Mark hamill?

i am a huge fan of the matrix reloaded and i am a huge fan of batman forever. another one of my favorite movies is warcraft
i know very well what it is like to love a movie with a lot of flaws or a movie that a lot of people hate.
it doesnt change the fact that they have a lot of problems, doesnt change the fact that they have bad acting. im not gonna deny their problems or assume anyone that didnt like what they did is dumb or angry or bitter. those movies to me are great but im not gonna be blind to their faults.

im sure you can find youtube vids praising the movie. i understand you loved it. it still doesnt change the fact that rian purposely went against the set up from force awakens. doesnt change that the story gets messy.

Leia flying and Holdo running her ship into another ship even ruin plot points from the original movies. People make fun of midichlorians and how that made no sense but leia flying contradicts the original movies and was worse.... thats just like a fact.
Yes, I’d happily tell Mark Hamill that I loved his movie.
Also, you seem to be continually confused about what constitutes a fact, but is in reality an opinion.
I don’t feel that this is going anywhere fun or constructive, so I’ll just leave you to hammer away, thanks and may the force be with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: captainmoch
Wow people are still trying to use this "news" to get views and clicks
shes got real connections. it is not the old rumor. shes worked for DC AND marvel before. shes been on the red carpet and been at the oscars covering it
she was on set for Justice league and for Batman v Superman. as far as youtube channels go shes the most connected.

Shes also interviewed hollywood stars for every major movie release. I only watch her out of anyone on youtube because shes actually connected to the industry and she has a lot of contacts. her videos are fair and balanced. shes very technical in her videos

the info in the video is new

Reactions: marip123
shes got real connections. it is not the old rumor. shes worked for DC AND marvel before. shes been on the red carpet and been at the oscars covering it
she was on set for Justice league and for Batman v Superman. as far as youtube channels go shes the most connected.

Shes also interviewed hollywood stars for every major movie release. I only watch her out of anyone on youtube because shes actually connected to the industry and she has a lot of contacts. her videos are fair and balanced. shes very technical in her videos

the info in the video is new

As someone who works in the industry: no, she is not well-connected, her contacts are bunk, her videos are anything but fair and balanced, and the info the video is hilariously false. It's not especially hard to get on sets or red carpets if the right strings are pulled. You really ought to watch other people on YouTube, because you're being fed junk from a peddler who fabricates stuff her "viewers" want to hear.