Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 163 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This reply from Murdy pretty much solidifies why he is a hack & has zero creativity running through his veins....

The hilarious thing is, an overarching theme happened under his reign of black wall terror. 2007's "Carnival of Carnage". You could even say 2009's "Ripped From The Silver Screen" (although it lacked the extensive backstory Orlando had with the Universal Palace Theatre & The Usher).. Honestly, one could argue that there has been more, but nothing to the extant of 2007. Murdy is a twat. IPs are not that difficult to throw under one intertwining theme unless you lack the intelligence and creativity.

Even simple "DrIvE-In" theme, "Slasher Studios" theme, or hell.. "Horror Film Festival gone wrong" theme... etc etc would work wonders. Thats just something generic & simple, perfect for Murdy's level

I remember someone once asked him about having an Icon again and he said it'd be "brand confusion" to have an Icon and IPs.. brand confusion.. like 2007, Jack PRESENTS the IPs.. or like you said, 2009 in Orlando, The Usher PRESENTS the IPs.. so yeah, totally possible to do an overarching theme/storyline with IPs..

Reactions: horrornights789
Halloween 2018 almost has too much to pass up... I think Halloween 4 is wonderfully cheesy but it’s so out of left field given H2018 is perfect for marketing and the event. Wouldn’t it be ironic if the name of the maze was Halloween: Return of Micheal Myers but wasn’t based on H4? Also I did some reading and found out this’ll be the 4th time Hollywood has had Halloween... I can sort of see how people are faded out by it but I really wanna see Micheal Myers.

On another note, anyone else wondering how they’ll scale down the Poltergeist house for the facade if it ends up over by WW behind it? The house is pretty big

I still think Poltergeist will be Metro Sets, especially now that TrT is at Mummy. But if it is at WW, they could try making the facade extend over the maze a little to give the illusion of a slanted roof? IDK, that'd be a little expensive, but it's the only solution I can really think of.

People are loving Michael over on Twitter; I think there's real, legitimate hype for this one, where there wasn't really much for that Freddy remake back in 2010. I think that'll mitigate the fatigue, that and the fact that Michael didn't show up last year. Plus, I mean, Leatherface has shown up 5 times now? Freddy something like 5 times? People on Twitter are asking for Insidious and it's shown up 3 times already. The GA love the Titans of Terror. I'm just waiting to see what happens with Halloween 2018 now. I think that unless someone spills the beans, we're not gonna know until the official announcement comes.

Reactions: horrornights789
If Asylum was never coming to begin with, why did Murdy talk about it multiple times the past few years? Seems weird to talk it up if it was never actually going to happen.

Yeah, the tweet about saving Asylum and Coven for future years is what annoys me about AHS not coming back. Although between AHS and Sinister I’d rather have Sinister

We should've just gotten Asylum, Coven & Cult last year to end AHS entirely. And while the Sinister section of HoB was full of great scares, I'd rather not see it (HDD or Purge) get its own maze (especially since The Purge had its own maze in 2016 with Gauntlet of Fear). Insidious last year was a waste of valuable haunt space.

This event needs to give us something NEW. Something fresh. Not the same TV series featuring a different season or same movie IP we've seen recently. If they do the new Halloween film, fine its something actually different (and you can feature scares without spoiling kills, unless they're in the trailer). This event needs to embrace its horror roots, it needs to embrace the essence & fun of Halloween, it needs originality/creativity. If HHN phones it in again this year, WB's new haunt event will take a dump literally in Universal's backyard & use HHN as toilet paper to wipe with.

oh yea, btw.. if you haven't heard yet, HHN Scareactor auditions are up. July 5th-July 7th. (meanwhile... we only have 2 mazes, TWD attraction & 1 sz announced... smooth universal.. smooth)

This reply from Murdy pretty much solidifies why he is a hack & has zero creativity running through his veins....

The hilarious thing is, an overarching theme happened under his reign of black wall terror. 2007's "Carnival of Carnage". You could even say 2009's "Ripped From The Silver Screen" (although it lacked the extensive backstory Orlando had with the Universal Palace Theatre & The Usher).. Honestly, one could argue that there has been more, but nothing to the extant of 2007. Murdy is a twat. IPs are not that difficult to throw under one intertwining theme unless you lack the intelligence and creativity.

Even simple "DrIvE-In" theme, "Slasher Studios" theme, or hell.. "Horror Film Festival gone wrong" theme... etc etc would work wonders. Thats just something generic & simple, perfect for Murdy's level

Not to mention, Orlando is doing a somewhat generic yet very detailed 80's theme for this years event, and here they are with mixture of quite a few notable IPs of particular interest.

Yep. Now how far that generic 80s theme extends into the actual event will be interesting to see. Orlando could do some great simplistic things that'd really bring the 80s vibe to life, even with just music, lighting, & fog for the main entrance. And maybe throughout the park.

Meanwhile here in Hollywood, we can't event get simple decor on the entrance or inside the entrance plaza like back in 2006. The event here could do so much to add to the overall "feel" of Halloween that would not only make the event better, but would also give daytime guests something to enjoy (cobwebs, netting, jack-o-lanterns, tombstones, etc).. If other parks can unleash hell at night, but provide a great halloween vibe during the day, Universal has no excuse other than being lazy cheap a**hats.

Yep. Now how far that generic 80s theme extends into the actual event will be interesting to see. Orlando could do some great simplistic things that'd really bring the 80s vibe to life, even with just music, lighting, & fog for the main entrance. And maybe throughout the park.

Meanwhile here in Hollywood, we can't event get simple decor on the entrance or inside the entrance plaza like back in 2006. The event here could do so much to add to the overall "feel" of Halloween that would not only make the event better, but would also give daytime guests something to enjoy (cobwebs, netting, jack-o-lanterns, tombstones, etc).. If other parks can unleash hell at night, but provide a great halloween vibe during the day, Universal has no excuse other than being lazy cheap a**hats.
I really wish hhn hollywood was way more creative like they did back then. I mean back in 2008 the theme was Universal taken over by Freddy Krueger. Thats awesome, I would like to see something like that again.

Reactions: HauntfanLA
I really wish hhn hollywood was way more creative like they did back then. I mean back in 2008 the theme was Universal taken over by Freddy Krueger. Thats awesome, I would like to see something like that again.
Glad too see others are waking up and realizing this event in whole needs to call a audible and drastically change things. From the parks decor, more mazes, more actor's , maybe sliders again, etc etc .

But I feel like many of you . It won't change. Until murdy calls it quits or someone else takes over.

I notice more people are coming forth and thrashing this event on different sites Facebook, Twitter, etc

Maybe the head honchos of universal and this event will notice and make changes maybe starting this year

Last edited:
I mentioned near the end of last year that when looking on the review for Yelp, comparing 2016 and 2017 ones, there weren't as many 5 star reviews for last year; mostly 3-4 stars and saying things like the event was "Okay", "fine", "had some good moments", and other descriptions rating it as "Average". This is where a lot of the GA gives their opinion and it's becoming apparent that even they thought that things like the increase in black rooms, repeating IPs, and the scare zone atmospheres weren't the best. And it's usually because of the GA that I'm sure the higher-ups "encourage" Murdy to bring repeats back like the Titans of Terror, Insidious, The Purge, and others.

Reactions: Horror Lover
I mentioned near the end of last year that when looking on the review for Yelp, comparing 2016 and 2017 ones, there weren't as many 5 star reviews for last year; mostly 3-4 stars and saying things like the event was "Okay", "fine", "had some good moments", and other descriptions rating it as "Average". This is where a lot of the GA gives their opinion and it's becoming apparent that even they thought that things like the increase in black rooms, repeating IPs, and the scare zone atmospheres weren't the best. And it's usually because of the GA that I'm sure the higher-ups "encourage" Murdy to bring repeats back like the Titans of Terror, Insidious, The Purge, and others.

When even their precious GP are calling out laziness and putting the squeeze on USH to change things up..

When even their precious GP are calling out laziness and putting the squeeze on USH to change things up..
All we can do is hope for the best. But with more people bashing the event as a whole, and other's bringing light to how they go about hiring people for this event sheds light on a lot of things. Where nobody heard of in the past.

With warner bros, knotts, sinister pointe, and other big and independent venues getting there own attractions universal has a lot of competition.

Read somewhere that the main dude for the make up for this event stepped down to start running his own event. Think his name is Larry bones.

Only thing that peaks my interest about this year are classic monsters, and trick or treat.

Could care less about purge again or walking dead.

Also heard universal some some rights on the new Halloween movie is this true?

cobwebs cost too much lol jk. your right though.

would love to see a entrance like back in the day 07 / 08. have roaming characters everywhere

All we can do is hope for the best. But with more people bashing the event as a whole, and other's bringing light to how they go about hiring people for this event sheds light on a lot of things. Where nobody heard of in the past.

With warner bros, knotts, sinister pointe, and other big and independent venues getting there own attractions universal has a lot of competition.

Read somewhere that the main dude for the make up for this event stepped down to start running his own event. Think his name is Larry bones.

Only thing that peaks my interest about this year are classic monsters, and trick or treat.

Could care less about purge again or walking dead.

Also heard universal some some rights on the new Halloween movie is this true?

I don't believe Larry has left, but perhaps @Chris Galindo or @Wesker69 can prove me wrong in that regard.

And as for Halloween, Blumhouse is producing the film as Universal is distributing.

Knotts, Sinister, Dark Harbor, and Fright Fest are major areas, but I actually think Festival of Frights is going to do the most damage to Universal, not just because of IP's, but because of proximity and affordability.

After this year, I hope Murdy does leave it for a new legacy, one in which led by Karen Irwin and a new team.

Reactions: Wesker69
As someone who experienced the original Dead Exposure back in 2008 and 2012's House of Horrors, I can assure you... BOTH were far above and beyond Murdy's level of design capability when it comes to the use of black walls. To the naked eye, they looked "unfinished", but as soon as the black light flashed, thats when the details would show (and also illuminate the scareactor). It was by far the cheapest & most simplistic design for a maze, but it was 100 % effective. Not to mention scary.

The closest thing we have seen this type of experience was with The Exorcist, which yes, was amazing. But it wasn't exactly the same either.

Last edited:
As someone who experienced the original Dead Exposure back in 2008 and 2012's House of Horrors, I can assure you... BOTH were far above and beyond Murdy's level of design capability when it comes to the use of black walls. To the naked eye, they looked "unfinished", but as soon as the black light flashed, thats when the details would should (and also illuminate the scareactor). It was by far the cheapest & most simplistic design for a maze, but it was 100 % effective. Not to mention scary.

The closest thing we have seen this type of experience was with The Exorcist, which yes, was amazing. But it wasn't exactly the same either.
I think he's slowly but surely giving up. He put 100 % into this in the beginning. Nowadays it's like whatever. As someone else mentioned they need big names like Jason, leatherface, etc to bring the masses and bring ticket sales.

I liked El cucoy, LA llarona, as original ideas. Why not do something with scarecrows evil harvest etc as a scare zone.