Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

Not surprising that Slinky is being received better than Mine Train; It seems to know and show that it's not the park's new headliner, whereas Mine Train sets itself up to be the second coming (to be fair, it opened right around Diagon Alley, and people always draw comparisons to whatever's opening up at the competition at that time).

I wonder if Aliens will drop to reasonable (30-45) wait times fairly quickly, or if people will fall into the "it is new and therefore I MUST ride it" trap.

The land looks pretty good with all the foliage. I can understand why Park Pass says the land seems very small, even though it's a decent sized 11 acres. If you subtract the entrance into the coaster, there's really not much open walkway area. That area's going to be shoulder to shoulder with people and strollers.

The land looks pretty good with all the foliage. I can understand why Park Pass says the land seems very small, even though it's a decent sized 11 acres. If you subtract the entrance into the coaster, there's really not much open walkway area. That area's going to be shoulder to shoulder with people and strollers.
It’s really only 8-9 acres if we’re being honest. They get to 11 acres by including the large TSMM showbuilding. Walking space is fairly limited in the land for all intents and purposes.

And when you think of it, there’s also not much to this land beyond the rides. Why they didn’t do a TS Character meal within the land I’ll never understand. With the WDW vacation model, it would sell out 180 + 10 days out.

I think one of the reasons why we're not seeing another flat ride in this land is due to sight lines. The land is very close to SWL. The only missing flats that come to mind are RC Racer and the Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop. Both those flats are somewhat tall and would be difficult to hide from SWL... at the least from the second entrance area of SWL. A new flat would have to be developed and themed to avoid that which it seems they just did not have the time to do. Maybe the future will bring something new. If only they had the space for a Lincoln log flume or toy boat flume past some show scenes. That would give the studios park it's first water ride!

Hopefully the Mickey and Minnie ride isn't too far off and will open before SWL to buffer what it can. Definitely going to be an interesting few years to come!

I’m hearing a lot of people saying that the ride feels longer than SDMT. Now while this is untrue factually, I can see how it would feel longer. SDMT has about 60 seconds of coaster and 60 seconds of dark ride/lift hill. Slinky is ALL COASTER. That’s how it can “feel longer” despite not actually being longer.

I think one of the reasons why we're not seeing another flat ride in this land is due to sight lines. The land is very close to SWL. The only missing flats that come to mind are RC Racer and the Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop. Both those flats are somewhat tall and would be difficult to hide from SWL... at the least from the second entrance area of SWL. A new flat would have to be developed and themed to avoid that which it seems they just did not have the time to do. Maybe the future will bring something new. If only they had the space for a Lincoln log flume or toy boat flume past some show scenes. That would give the studios park it's first water ride!

Hopefully the Mickey and Minnie ride isn't too far off and will open before SWL to buffer what it can. Definitely going to be an interesting few years to come!
I would never want one of those monstrosities here in our land, but another low-to-the-ground flat ride isn’t asking too much.

I would never want one of those monstrosities here in our land, but another low-to-the-ground flat ride isn’t asking too much.

Right. A.S.S. Wasn’t in any existing TSL either, yet they made it for DHS version. So they could’ve had something else.

Although I think a dedicated sit-down Quick service location was the most glaring omission. Having something that’s the equivelant of Min and Bills is ridiculous for an entire land. The second most glaring emission is a dedicated meet and greet which could have been had they not cancelled woodys roundup area. And the third is a shop- which they could have had instead of the overly long exit path from TSMM.

Those 3 would’ve used the current space, increased capacity and gave some reprieve from the heat. Also would’ve increased spending. A character meal wouldnt be high on my list as I think a highly themed QS restaurant would’ve been better. Could even put potato head in there.

A 2nd flat is likely 4th on the list of things they needed for me. Missed opportunities all around for sure.

Right. A.S.S. Wasn’t in any existing TSL either, yet they made it for DHS version. So they could’ve had something else.

Although I think a dedicated sit-down Quick service location was the most glaring omission. Having something that’s the equivelant of Min and Bills is ridiculous for an entire land. The second most glaring emission is a dedicated meet and greet which could have been had they not cancelled woodys roundup area. And the third is a shop- which they could have had instead of the overly long exit path from TSMM.

Those 3 would’ve used the current space, increased capacity and gave some reprieve from the heat. Also would’ve increased spending. A character meal wouldnt be high on my list as I think a highly themed QS restaurant would’ve been better. Could even put potato head in there.

A 2nd flat is likely 4th on the list of things they needed for me. Missed opportunities all around for sure.

Missed opportunity not adding a proper quick service location and adding a dumbo type spinner here.

They are going to have to address the shade (or lack-thereof) issue eventually. Also, this land has virtually no air conditioning with there being no store or enclosed quick service.

I hate to say it, but the land has all the makings of being legitimately dangerous in the summer. With people waiting in long lines in the sun, no AC, etc, I can easily see people fainting from heat exhaustion here and it being a big enough problem that we may see them at the very least put cover over the tables at Woody's Lunch Box.

If they do ever expand this land, i'm not sure more rides are needed as much as more to do. If they take down the two remaining (former) production bungalows, they could have enough room to build Woody's Round-Up, which could house an indoor M&G, a store, streetmosphere, a Saloon, etc. Any of that would be very welcomed and it would also add a lot better theming to the land entrance rather than just sort of walking in and seeing Woody.

I’m hearing a lot of people saying that the ride feels longer than SDMT. Now while this is untrue factually, I can see how it would feel longer. SDMT has about 60 seconds of coaster and 60 seconds of dark ride/lift hill. Slinky is ALL COASTER. That’s how it can “feel longer” despite not actually being longer.

The only other flat ride Disney seem to do for this land is this:

Slinky_Dog-001_1_0_Original-350x350.jpg

Which obviously makes zero sense with a Slinky coaster.

Still shocks me that a proper store was not built. You would think Disney's top priority of a new land is a store...

I would not be bashing this land if it was not missing a store with A/ C, indoor restaurant and kept Woody's roundup. I like the aesthetic they choose, just wish they didn't do any of the budget cuts. All the rockwork on Slinky would have made quite the difference.

Also, what's with the small queue? Way too small.

They could have put Hamm on a dumbo spinner, copied the new carousel at DCA for e.g. I don’t think there’s a legitimate excuse to build this land so half-baked, even though what’s there looks good. The thinking concerns me in fact...they must surely know what a mess the Studios have been for years now and this was their opportunity to make some corrections. I think the park will be a much better place come fall 2019, but a thoroughly unpleasant experience with capacity/crowd issues.

I just feel like the park has been shafted when there’s so many huge worldwide Disney park expansions being announced right now. Everyone knows WDS is a mess, yet they’re getting 3 major new lands, another addition to Toy Story Land, a lake & fountain show, placemaking etc. I think Disney have forgot DHS is in a worse shape ride wise and aren’t bothered as they want to sell the park hoppers.

Last edited:
I can't help but think that there's more retail / food work heading to DHS before SW:GE opens up.

TSL would’ve been an amazing place to put retail + dining. But, it’s relatively close to Galaxy’s Edge.

I’m thinking Disney wants to put a whole bunch of dining (and retail) on the other side of the park to force crowds to go over there.