Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

River Country

ChristopherSE

VIP Member
Jul 12, 2009
NJ -> Orlando
What's going on with river country. It closed because the lake water they used wasn't clean, and since then it's just been sitting there. Does anybody know if it will re-open? I think they could. Couldn't they use the same water system they use at the other water parks, or is it more complicated than that? I would love to see it come back.

I went to River Country several times as a child and if they offered the same experience now, I would decline to go. Mainly becuase I don't trust whats in the water.

I don't think you can clean lake water. It's not like they took water from a lake and added it to a water park. The water park was in a lake. It's to much of a liability with diseases and unknown objects laying around at the bottom. Not to mention, fish fart in there.

What's going on with river country. It closed because the lake water they used wasn't clean, and since then it's just been sitting there. Does anybody know if it will re-open? I think they could. Couldn't they use the same water system they use at the other water parks, or is it more complicated than that? I would love to see it come back.

It had NOTHING to do with the quality of the lake water. River Country closed because it just wasn't marketable anymore compared to Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach.

It's not coming back, not as a water park at least. The only faint hope it has is coming back as a pool area for Fort Wilderness, but with each passing year that is more and more unlikely.

It had NOTHING to do with the quality of the lake water. River Country closed because it just wasn't marketable anymore compared to Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach.

What do you mean it had NOTHING to do with the quality of the lake water?! That stuff was murky as heck! There was bacteria and who knows what else all over the place! Of course it was lacking compared to the typhoon an blizzard, they're amazing! But there were still a LOT of people going to River Country.

Maybe you should do some more researching on youtube. Don't give an opinion without knowing what your opinion is about.

What do you mean it had NOTHING to do with the quality of the lake water?! That stuff was murky as heck! There was bacteria and who knows what else all over the place! Of course it was lacking compared to the typhoon an blizzard, they're amazing! But there were still a LOT of people going to River Country.

Maybe you should do some more researching on youtube. Don't give an opinion without knowing what your opinion is about.

I mean it had nothing to do with the quality of the lake water and everything to do with ticket sales. I thought I said that already.

Wow. Really? You don't even read the posts before you respond do you? I just told you, There was a new law stating that you weren't aloud to swim in lake and river water that isn't filtered. Because if it was filtered, it wouldn't be murky and gross. That's why they closed it. I know you think people stopped going to River Country, and i see your kinda stuck on that whole perspective, but i can ensure you, they kept going. Trust me. I was there. I even have it on video. On numerous tapes. One being the year it closed.

Wow. Really? You don't even read the posts before you respond do you? I just told you, There was a new law stating that you weren't aloud to swim in lake and river water that isn't filtered. Because if it was filtered, it wouldn't be murky and gross. That's why they closed it. I know you think people stopped going to River Country, and i see your kinda stuck on that whole perspective, but i can ensure you, they kept going. Trust me. I was there. I even have it on video. On numerous tapes. One being the year it closed.

I'm really not going to continue this argument with you as you have no understanding of the background on it. River Country closed YEARS ago - in 2001 to save on budget after 9/11 as a cost cutting measure due to low ticket sales - long before there was ever a concern on bactria levels in Floridian lakes. Sorry dude. You're not correct.

Last edited:
i remember a few years back talking with an employee at i believe fort wilderness lodge. he told me that they closed the water park because lack of admission. i guess everyone wanted to go to blizzard or typhoon.

just because the water is merky doesnt mean its got bacteria.

hope this might clear things up for you guys

So because its murky that means its got bad bacteria? you might think its gross having plant material at the bottom of a lake or river but its natural.

have you ever thought that maybe it was because of the murky water people stopped going to river country and that means they get the budget cut?

I had forgotten about River Country until a trip my family took over the weekend to Disney. We were riding the boat to MK and went by old River Country. Haha I don't know what it is about abandoned things but it looks very cool and a little creepy from afar. Same goes for Discovery Island.

What's with all the hostility lately? River Country closed due to poor sales during the 9/11 bad times. If it was because of the water, why was the park fine for the prior 30 years?

And we're....

moving on....

I had forgotten about River Country until a trip my family took over the weekend to Disney. We were riding the boat to MK and went by old River Country. Haha I don't know what it is about abandoned things but it looks very cool and a little creepy from afar. Same goes for Discovery Island.

Weird- I thought I'd replied to this already but it's not showing up... Discovery Island closed in 1999, even earlier than River Country's 2001. Needless to say neither really drew in people and were off the beaten trail of typical guest travel.

Weird- I thought I'd replied to this already but it's not showing up... Discovery Island closed in 1999, even earlier than River Country's 2001. Needless to say neither really drew in people and were off the beaten trail of typical guest travel.

Everytime I see Discovery Island and it's abandoned state, I think of The Lost World: Jurassic Park. :lol:

Yep, I remember when Discovery Island closed. I went there once. It was kind of cool but obviously obsolete now that DAK is open. I just think it's cool to see it sitting there unused. It's got a mysterious aura to it.

Everytime I see Discovery Island and it's abandoned state, I think of The Lost World: Jurassic Park. :lol:

Yes! Exactly! That's why it's so cool! :lol:

Yep, I remember when Discovery Island closed. I went there once. It was kind of cool but obviously obsolete now that DAK is open. I just think it's cool to see it sitting there unused. It's got a mysterious aura to it.

I'm not sure that I've ever visited Discovery Island. I really can't remember. Perhaps when I was REALLY young.

There was truth to the rumors that at one point, they were considering theming the entire island to the (at the time) extremely popular Myst franchise and turning it into a very interactive game experience that I'd imagine would have been the predecessor to what Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure is today. Too bad that one never came to pass.

If disney can make guests fork over 100+ dollars to paint a face and give them an eyepatch They can charge people 300 dollars to sleep over with jack sparrow