Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

Because people want to stay stuck in the 80's forever. Epcot's "heyday" was probably 1989 - Wonders of Life had just opened, Norway pavilion opened, The Seas opened in '86, Kitchen Kabaret was around, they hadn't given up on Horizons yet, I assume this is the time period when Peter Quill visited, etc.

1989 was only 7 years into the park's life however. The park VERY QUICKLY started to go down hill in the 90's and by the end of the decade, the EPCOT Center concept was pretty much gone and the park was in rough shape. To this day it still is in rough shape and has had very minimal changes to the park since the Millennium Celebration. Mission Space opened in 2003 (was already announced in 1999), Test Track has simply been given an overlay, Soarin' replaced KK/FR, Nemo took over the Seas, Imagination got worse, SSE had a narration change and unfinished finale, Cablleros took over El Rio and Frozen took over Maelstrom.

Notice all of that was either updates or replacements. Nothing has actually been ADDED to the park in that time. Actually, the park has lost attraction capacity as Wonders of Life is sitting unused to guests. Innoventions has closed as well. The Magic Eye Theater is all but closed right now too with them showing Pixar Shorts in there. Ratatouille will be the first park expansion since the Summer of 1989. It's also a thematically appropriate one.

IPs are not a bad thing, it's just about placement. GotG is an example of bad placement as it feels like it would've fit better in Tomorrowland and Tron fit better in Future World. It does suck that the showbuilding will be so large and seen from so much of the park. It's incredibly poor design imo.

I agree that Tron would be a great fit into Epcot, particularly with the theming resemblance to TT. I don’t Guardians would work at MK however.

I’d be thrilled to see more rides coming to Epcot especially Coco and Mary Poppins as it would fit into the area so well.

Because people want to stay stuck in the 80's forever.

I think that's a little simplistic.

I don't want an Epcot stuck in the past. I want an Epcot that takes its founding ideas truly into the 21st century. I want a theme park that adds offerings that live up to these words on the dedication plaque:

"Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, the wonders of enterprise, and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all.

May Epcot Center entertain, inform and inspire. And, above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere.
"

I would argue almost everything done in Epcot prior to Frozen can at least kinda/sorta conform to those ideals. Post-Frozen... it's a whole different ballgame.

I'd be curious if people like Iger and Chapek have even ever read what's on Epcot's dedication plaque.

I agree that Tron would be a great fit into Epcot, particularly with the theming resemblance to TT. I don’t Guardians would work at MK however.

I’d be thrilled to see more rides coming to Epcot especially Coco and Mary Poppins as it would fit into the area so well.
Coco simply not happening anymore unfortunately - although with it being only an overlay it's fine.

I'll be more disappointed if Poppins doesn't happen because by all accounts, it should be a nice fantasyland-style dark ride, and it's a true addition to the park rather than replacement. I feel like Disney is very tentative to pull the trigger and often waits to see if it will sell merchandise or not. They could be waiting on Mary Poppins Returns to make an ultimate decision on this.

I think that's a little simplistic.
Simplistic, but it is how it feels most of the time.

This is a park that has honestly been pretty bad for almost the entirety of the 21st century so far. The only thing that has saved this park for the longest time is the festivals and I think they are finally realizing that you can only count on the festivals for so much.

As stated, I think Rat is a very nice addition to France and GotG is questionable at best for Future World. But the complaining I hear a lot about IPs being terrible is just not true. IPs can be just as good - if not better - than original attractions (ex. Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain). It's simply how you utilize the IPs. GotG may end up being a great ride, but the placement of this ride will be/is what fans have an issue with.

I have long said that I think it's possible to use the Guardians characters in a way that is fully in keeping with what Epcot is supposed to be about.

I just have no faith whatsoever in Disney brass allowing the Imagineers to go the extra mile to do that, based on the evidence of Frozen. If they can't even pull off what should have been an easy slam-dunk concept (the characters on a diplomatic trip to Norway, learning about the culture that their city-state was built upon), then there's no way they're going to do the more difficult - but not impossible - work of making GOTG fit.

I like Epcot now. I'm fine with IPs being added. Just as long as they keep Spaceship Earth and Living With the Land feeling like classic Epcot, I don't mind what they do with the rest.

As much as I loved Horizons and World of Motion, (and to a lesser extent I enjoyed Body Wars,) there's no denying that they were not very popular, and probably weren't worth the running/upkeep costs towards the end.

I'd love to see new dark rides added to the park, whether IP driven or not, because everything that has been replacing them are increasingly thrill rides or screen based attractions (or in the case of Mission: Space, both.)

One would hope that Figment gets an overhaul that brings back (a new version of) Dreamfinder in a new attraction that's actually about imagination and forming ideas from little sparks of inspiration again... and not just exploring the 5 senses.

I'd love to see new dark rides added to the park, whether IP driven or not, because everything that has been replacing them are increasingly thrill rides or screen based attractions (or in the case of Mission: Space, both.)

One would hope that Figment gets an overhaul that brings back (a new version of) Dreamfinder in a new attraction that's actually about imagination and forming ideas from little sparks of inspiration again... and not just exploring the 5 senses.
Poppins would be a classic Fantasyland dark ride should it happen.

And with Figment, yeah, i'll just be happy if they keep Figment whenever they get to updating it again with all the talk of Inside Out. I think we may escape Inside Out though as nothing will be happening to Imagination for quite awhile still.

Coco simply not happening anymore unfortunately - although with it being only an overlay it's fine.

I'll be more disappointed if Poppins doesn't happen because by all accounts, it should be a nice fantasyland-style dark ride, and it's a true addition to the park rather than replacement. I feel like Disney is very tentative to pull the trigger and often waits to see if it will sell merchandise or not. They could be waiting on Mary Poppins Returns to make an ultimate decision on this.

Simplistic, but it is how it feels most of the time.

This is a park that has honestly been pretty bad for almost the entirety of the 21st century so far. The only thing that has saved this park for the longest time is the festivals and I think they are finally realizing that you can only count on the festivals for so much.

As stated, I think Rat is a very nice addition to France and GotG is questionable at best for Future World. But the complaining I hear a lot about IPs being terrible is just not true. IPs can be just as good - if not better - than original attractions (ex. Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain). It's simply how you utilize the IPs. GotG may end up being a great ride, but the placement of this ride will be/is what fans have an issue with.

I hope that all these new additions result in a big jump in attendance and it shows Disney that spending money is worth it I'm sure Disney have been watching Universal's recent success closely and will try to replicate it. The problem could be that with Star Wars and the 50th celebration, they were probably going to be crazy busy anyway and with things like the failing monorail, they resort might not be able to cope and with doing so little in recent years, their attendance numbers are still going up.

Just like Tower of Terror and Maelstrom? Trust me when I say this, no attraction without a relevent IP is safe. Especially not Splash.

Tower of Terror is related to an IP, so is Splash.

I would love to see a trackless Alice in Wonderland ride based on the original animation (like DL has). Even though Ratatouille will have the trackless tech, I think that Alice is timeless & would be a HUGE hit. It would also fit right in with the existing M&G & tea shop at the UK pavilion.

Add in Mr. Toad as well!

I'd take an Imagination based on the comics. Inject some oomph whilst keeping the heart/spark.

Poppins would be a classic Fantasyland dark ride should it happen.

And with Figment, yeah, i'll just be happy if they keep Figment whenever they get to updating it again with all the talk of Inside Out. I think we may escape Inside Out though as nothing will be happening to Imagination for quite awhile still.
Why Figment is so underutilized in Epcot, I will never understand...They're literally sitting on a huge mascot...Imagine what they could do with today's tech

I don't care about the IPs much at all, as I've said on this thread a hundred times. The dream is dead.

I just want good rides.
Test Track is a good ride.
A "real" roller coaster in Epcot sounds pretty great to me.

The dream will always be for the Japan coaster.
I dunno, Everest kinda took that idea and ran with it. Although Mt. Fuji would look amazing at the back of the park looming over the Japan Pavilion, the best part about it was the concept of the coaster train coming out of the side of the mountain, which was in the early Space Mountain concept art as well, but never realized. It finally got utilized on Everest, so all good and done in my book.

epcot-fuji.png

Epcot-Fuji-inside.jpg