Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 197 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just a thought but we were supposedly going to get Halloween 2018, but it was canned due to showing too much. Miramax is one of the producers of the film and if they approved the maze before that would it be possible if they approved mazes for franchises that are dormant at the moment(Scream & Hellraiser)?

AHS: Asylum and Get Out are too controversial but you’ll do a movie that literally has the KKK and a burning cross in it? GTHO Murdy.

Remove the KKK robes (I don't remember the burning cross) and bam the controversial element from TFP is gone. You can't do that with Asylum or Get Out.

I think it bears repeating, cause I assume most of you know. A mother and father, whose son just happened to commit suicide after battling mental illness, got the large OC church they belong to and it's lawyers to pressure Cedar Fair (Knott's parent company) to pull the attraction. I'm not saying I agree with the decision to pull the maze in question or for not doing Asylum (if that is the reason) but I understand big corporations exercising caution.

Reactions: horrornights789
The thing that makes me suspicious about the theory that the Halloween 2018 maze showed too much is that I feel like Murdy would much rather just modify the maze a bit so its satisfactory rather than starting all over again with Halloween 4. That and my sources told me only one maze got canned and it wasn't Halloween, but mine aren't always 100% correct.

True, since Insidious & SAW were rumored to only be based on their respective sequels coming out last year and then became mashups of the property. It’d be cool if Murdy did Halloween 1 & Halloween 2018 in the same maze since they’re canon. Idk why but I feel like The Thing was the scrapped maze since it seemed like he already designed it when he was talking about the maze with snow in it

Remove the KKK robes (I don't remember the burning cross) and bam the controversial element from TFP is gone. You can't do that with Asylum or Get Out.

I think it bears repeating, cause I assume most of you know. A mother and father, whose son just happened to commit suicide after battling mental illness, got the large OC church they belong to and it's lawyers to pressure Cedar Fair (Knott's parent company) to pull the attraction. I'm not saying I agree with the decision to pull the maze in question or for not doing Asylum (if that is the reason) but I understand big corporations exercising caution.

I think he probably wasn’t interested in doing it for a 3rd year since he could’ve easily done Coven or Cult, or both. Either that or they didn’t renew the contract for who knows what

Reactions: cdogsumo
I think he probably wasn’t interested in doing it for a 3rd year since he could’ve easily done Coven or Cult, or both. Either that or they didn’t renew the contract for who knows what
I wouldn't be surprised if the contract gave them so many years to do a maze at three event. So they have 4 or 5 years to use it in three different years.

We all heard the contract was for three years and you just don't shelve a property you have already paid for. My guess is we will see AHS return.

Course the contract could have also had an opt out clause.

Miramax is one of the producers of Halloween, but it's the new Miramax. Not the old one that Disney owned and was operated by the Weinsteins.
Also, as someone mentioned, I think it's Horrorworld who owns the mask/costume, but apparently they've been picky in the past with giving out the rights, which is one of the reasons it didn't pop up on the Scream TV show for the first 2 seasons, but finally will be in season 3.

Just watched the Unfriended 2 trailer, it could be a good movie but for a haunt it might be a bit controversial.

On another note, why haven’t we ever done Cabin in the Woods? Uni has a good relationship with Lionsgate and the movie’s considered one of the best of the decade.

Just watched the Unfriended 2 trailer, it could be a good movie but for a haunt it might be a bit controversial.

On another note, why haven’t we ever done Cabin in the Woods? Uni has a good relationship with Lionsgate and the movie’s considered one of the best of the decade.
Not enough awareness, according to Murdy. Gotta do This is the End and Unfriended first.

^I think the year it came out, Murdy said he didn't want to do 2 cabin mazes (Evil Dead was out, I think, I can't remember). By the time Orlando did it, it was already a bit old and didn't do all that well at the box office, so was probably seen low priority.

Edit- Anyone else think Truth or Dare could end up like SAW? In that it’s mostly watching people get tortured

I haven't thought about that and I think this might be the way they'll go with it, which makes it even more of a dud.

Murdy will do This is the End, Truth or Dare, and Unfriended (The last one especially having ZERO maze potential) before he’ll do Twin Peaks as it’s not “horror enough”. Let that sink in.

This hurts the most. Imagine the Twin Peaks theme blaring before entering the facade? The potential that the horrors that little town contains, from the Black Lodge, to Laura's murder, the man from another place, etc. and we're given these throwaway film projects for horror? For a place called Halloween Horror Nights, celebrating the best in horror, they go out of their way to bring the worst in it. What happened to this event once being scary?

There are some early Unfriended 2 reviews online already and the spoilers given about the plot already makes the movie uncomfortable to watch (in a bad way) so IF this does end up happening then... well, I don't even know what to expect. Two controversial films at the event for the wrong reasons seems a bit destructive toward the haunt.

Last edited:
I haven't thought about that and I think this might be the way they'll go with it, which makes it even more of a dud.

I’m worried that Unfriended as a section might just end up as a rip off of The Exorcist. Torture scene - Black hallway with robed Cult member and repeat.

It does suck that properties like ToD & Unfriended get picked before IP’s like AHS Coven/Cult, Silence of the Lambs, Scream, Hellraiser, CITW, Twin Peaks, and hell even Black Christmas since that’s technically a cult classic

I’m worried that Unfriended as a section might just end up as a rip off of The Exorcist. Torture scene - Black hallway with robed Cult member and repeat.

It does suck that properties like ToD & Unfriended get picked before IP’s like AHS Coven/Cult, Silence of the Lambs, Scream, Hellraiser, CITW, Twin Peaks, and hell even Black Christmas since that’s technically a cult classic

I remember back in the day, speculating/suggesting IPs like ToD or Unfriended would get you laughed out of the speculation threads and would seem like "GP maze requests" you'd see in the comments section of the HHN social medias.. ah.. good times..

Any chances they try to tap into the video game well next year? Hollywood still hasn’t done Resident Evil, Until Dawn, Alien: Isolation, Dead Space, or The Evil Within. But for synergy purposes, The Last Of Us 2 is coming soon and that would be a great maze and a merch monster.

Back to 2018, I mean at this rate we might as well throw Scooby Doo, My Bloody Valentine(wouldn’t mind), and Jigsaw vs Amityville narrated by Seth Rogan with music by Slash into the speculation mix since it seems just about every single horror property has been brought up at one point.

True, since Insidious & SAW were rumored to only be based on their respective sequels coming out last year and then became mashups of the property. It’d be cool if Murdy did Halloween 1 & Halloween 2018 in the same maze since they’re canon.

Wait, I totally agree. Doesn’t it make more sense to do H1 and Halloween (2018) together for the Halloween maze this year instead of H4 as its not even technically canon anymore?

“Let’s get excited about this new franchise movie by making a maze based on a movie that the new one disregards completely and takes out of canon.”

WHAT

Reactions: Brandon Voorhees
Soooo many pages of nothingness... dear lord we need another announcement :lol:

A little off topic, but was there really any severe push-back at Orlando for having AHS: Asylum at their HHN last year?
Nope. Besides Orlando has had multiple insane asylum houses at their event over the years. Most notably the PsychoScarepy collection (5 houses & 1 scarezone)..

Honestly, the maze wasn't completely terrible, but the time it really showed how it was meant to be experienced was the final night of HHN, during the last hour... BOTH casts were on set, nobody was where they were supposed to be. They were everywhere. It was chaos, fun, and scary... If the maze had been like that from day 1, you all would've loved it.

Dimension/Miramax neutered the tram and they & Hollywood didn’t get along too well so the Scream maze didn’t happen.
No no... Murdy neutered the Terror Tram, not another studio... remember, its Murdy who dreams it up every year.. He is to blame for Scream 4 Your Life being underwhelmingly lame (which is a shame due to the fun "STAB" filming gimmick)