Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 198 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oh yeah, I forgot to talk about that Scream tram comment. As Wesker said, Murdy totally pulled the rug out from under it. He was never on board with the IP in the first place, shoehorned it into the Tram, didn't even base anything on the tram on the actual property, and the only part that was, got cut out after opening weekend (the fence maze in front of Bates Motel). I remember his reasoning afterwards was, "I won a bet with someone." It wasn't a good fence maze by any means, but it was the ONLY thing on the entire tram actually Scream related. No kills from the movies, no Stab-A-Thon or party as promised in the dang video, no scenes recreated -- NADA. He simply just threw a bunch of Ghostfaces out on the backlot and had the voice playing over some speakers. Meanwhile, there were 3-4 other original ideas sprinkled in that took over the Terror Tram after the Bates Motel section (the only Scream section) and a random Ghostface or a Stab-a-thon attendant running around bloody after while something like Zombiez on a Plane was happening. It was such an abomination to the franchise and it was clear it was meant to be that way from the beginning.

Reactions: Wesker69
Been watching a ton of CryptTv short films lately. Gotta say, I'd like to see some their short films coming to hhn, it looks really amazing.

Murdy will do This is the End, Truth or Dare, and Unfriended (The last one especially having ZERO maze potential) before he’ll do Twin Peaks as it’s not “horror enough”. Let that sink in.
I don't follow him - I only get info here. did he really say that? Wow! There is so much "horror" in Twin Peaks. And Lynch lives locally - I suspect he would be glad to consult on a TP maze. Seems Murdy may be a little short-sighted when it comes to defining "horror"...

Reactions: Freak and chris.g
I don't follow him - I only get info here. did he really say that? Wow! There is so much "horror" in Twin Peaks. And Lynch lives locally - I suspect he would be glad to consult on a TP maze. Seems Murdy may be a little short-sighted when it comes to defining "horror"...

I can vouch and say this was the response Murdy told me personally. I asked why he hadn't considered bringing any of Lynch's work to HHN yet, particularly Twin Peaks and that was his response; that he never really considered Twin Peaks "horror".

Reactions: ItsAtrap and Clive
Didn’t Murdy also say that he wouldn’t do Scream because Scary Movie made it not scary? I could’ve sworn that was real.

Either way next year’s creative director should hopefully be more creative with the properties they choose. This year’s lineup isn’t bad but Blumhouse 2.0 does sound like it’s competing for worst of all time

Reactions: Freak and hhnlover
Well aiello is gonna be there with him so it's probably a shared property. And since you know how people will react to murdys blumhouse of horrors 2, its probably poltergeist

Reactions: chris.g
I was kind of hopeful, given how on Twitter, he said the Parisian Courtyard maze would maybe get announced in July.
I’m sure it’ll be announced this month. Since the MSS dates are at the end of the month I’m gonna guess it’ll be announced before MSS, but not at the panel itself.
My guess for the panel is Poltergeist since it’s a shared big name property

Reactions: MacMillian Crew
Didn’t Murdy also say that he wouldn’t do Scream because Scary Movie made it not scary? I could’ve sworn that was real.

Either way next year’s creative director should hopefully be more creative with the properties they choose. This year’s lineup isn’t bad but Blumhouse 2.0 does sound like it’s competing for worst of all time

That was his excuse at the time.. first, it was because he claimed most of the maze environments would be suburban houses.. then it was because of Scary Movie spoofing Ghostface.. I have a feeling he was too afraid to admit the rights were messy..

The Scary Movie thing is true, and he also said that about the maze environments as well. But also, the ultimate truth is, he just flat out doesn't like the property. He's said that in a roundabout way a few times. Otherwise, he wouldn't have bastardized Scream like that on the tram, and he would've also given it a maze - even if just based on Scream 4 because it has more than enough.

2011 had House of 1000 Corpses repeat and that could've taken it's place, there's literally no excuse. Or swapped with one of his original mazes (which apparently is a viable option now), Alice Cooper or La Llorona (but def keep La Llorona, one of the best mazes of all time!). Or not do the Thing prequel, because it flopped BIG time. Or not do Hostel, because by that point, the series was extremely irrelevant, but it gave him a chance to buddy up with Eli Roth. The rights are sooooo tricky, but so were The Exorcist and The Shining, and yet those still materialized because Murdy worked hard for them, but he just doesn't care enough to work for Scream.

Scream still deserves better. And I can't believe, out of the 10+ years that HHN has been back, it's only been used once for the dang tram in the most awful way. Scream, with only 4 movies, has more or almost equal box office to Friday the 13th, Halloween, and Nightmare on Elm Street, and definitely a lot more than Childs Play and Texas Chainsaw. No other slasher films have reached 100 mill, and of the 15ish or so horror films in general to do it, Scream takes up 2 spots. It's also an international hit, which a lot of horror franchises can't say, and it's worldwide total is probably more than all of those franchises. Ghostface deserves just as much to be put along with Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, and Michael. The only difference those films have are more time to sink into the social conscience. Scary Movie worked so well because people knew how popular it was at the time.

But the 90s are creeping in the nostalgia train and Ghostface is making a comeback in a big way. It almost feels like Scream 4 was maybe 5 years too early. If it were an 20 years later movie, it probably would've been a huge hit to revitalize the franchise. It's mistake was to riff on remakes, yet still be called Scream 4, because people tend to steer away from films with a number in it these days. It also would've done well in the Blumhouse saturated climate and would've been a great breath of fresh air, especially at a time where every horror movie was KILLING it at the box office (Don't Breathe, Lights Out, Conjuring 2, Purge 3, Split, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Shallows).

I just hope it's not a whole 10 years before Scream is used at HHN again (2021).

Reactions: horrornights789
Everybody is feeling "ugh" towards this year's line up... its almost like Murdy said "Here's Stranger Things & Trick R Treat, you happy? The rest of your line-up will suck because I gave you two of the mazes you begged for. I am your god, hear me roar".

Scream 4 was a great film & I did absolutely love the "Don't f**k with the originals" line. That was definitely Wes Craven's middle finger to the NOES remake lol. I enjoy the tv series for what it is because it has so many nods to all 4 films throughout the first 2 seasons. I'm dying to see what Season 3 does. It really is sad that Wes is no longer with us because it'd be interesting to see if they could revisit the franchise for another film at some point.

As someone who got to experience "All Nite Die-In: Take 2" in Orlando back in 2006 which featured "SCREAM" (unofficially of course), it was great going through the kitchen scene with Drew Barrymoore's character on the phone in the kitchen & see Rose Magowen's character's body hanging from the garage door stuck in the doggy door. The Ghostface scares were effective in those 2 scenes. So a full blown maze is totally doable whether its an official Scream maze OR an original.

Reactions: horrornights789
Everything but Blumhouse sound like they have potential(even the Purge if done right). Poltergeist & Halloween are gonna be really fun, I just know it.

But yeah Scream seems like one of the easiest properties to do, you could easily do:

- Sydney’s House & Room
- Garage
- High School
- Film Studio
- Prop Room
- Barn from Scream 4
- Sorority Kills from Scream 2
- Roman Columns Scene from Scream 2
- Van from Scream 1
- Movie Theater
- Casey’s Kitchen
- Casey’s Backyard

and that’s off the top of my head. Could easily do a maze based solely on Scream 1 and then do another maze based on Scream 2-4

Classic Monsters and Poltergeist sound great also.
To be fair, being an Orlando transfer... I was so hyped that I'd finally get to experience a SAW maze after seeing the walk-through & behind the scenes video from 2009. And then instead of awesomeness, I experienced the trainwreck that was Jigsaw's maze. SIGH...

So I'm cautious to get excited over any of the possible "OMGZ THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME" mazes. I love the Poltergeist trilogy (remake wasn't awful but forgettable), so I'm weary of what black wall hell this will end up like. Also...

Fun Fact: This rumored Poltergeist maze could always end up being the remake rather than original (despite the facade looking like the original house). :ninja: I don't believe it will be, but you never really know with Murdy.

To be fair, 2017 was an entire trainwreck, the worst year we've ever had, where even the best maze wouldn't reach the top 10 haha
UPDATE: I've looked at my all time list and the highest 2017 maze (for me, it was The Shining) is number 19. That... is so low haha

Last edited:
Reactions: cdogsumo