Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Discord Server

I use Discord everyday and it does not go down very often at all.

Really? It seems like it's gone down a handful of times for me in the last week or two. Which seems like a lot when compared to other services.

Bump :whistle:
giphy.gif

I love Discord. Only problem is topics can go way off-track, so separate sections for major areas would be key.

Here for it too, though I'm interested to see how it affects the forums.
This 100%. People have written entire paens on the utility of forums as repositories for answers and esoteric information as compared to Discord, which is more disorganized and presents as a chat tool but has subsumed a lot of the functions that traditional forums used to offer.

Now I tend to use Discord socially for sharing wordles and news articles in my college friend channel. There's also a couple hobbyist channels I frequent, though I'm trying to limit my use in my effort to live my life more concientiously. Having said that, I would be interested in a Discord if the quality and quantity of posts were equivalent to the forums, but given the nature of Discord as a platform, I don't think that's a possibility.

Voice chat is the only positive I can see coming out of this to be completely honest. I worry that it will draw activity away from the forums themselves over time and leave them like a lot of other old school style message boards nowadays: empty.

There are always the Theme Park Stop and Hauntvault Discords if people really need their fix, but I kinda prefer keeping our fragile ecosystem here as stable as possible. Just my thoughts though!

That's my biggest concern. I don't want the both to cannibalize each other, so I'm trying to find a good way to balance it... if possible.

So limited invite to those who ask?

How did you get limited invites from limited channels? lol.

I'm saying if you put too many channel topics in there to discus things then it just becomes a mirror of "Inside Universal Forums". I would think you would want it unique to draw people to it.
There's a lot of Great Universal podcasts/you tube channels out there. Maybe have a channel for that for people to post their favorites. I subscribe to the popular ones out there "Tim Tracker, Super Enthused, etc.." and I'm always looking for other great content out there.

The Voice Channels are a main part of Discord also though and I don't know how you would implement it here. Since its discord though you could always expand to other topics for the VC. (Video Game Co-op meets/ live podcasts/HHN House announcement watch parties, or other watch party content, etc...)

Just throwing out ideas/examples above.

Attachments

• Discord Channels.png
    Discord Channels.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I use Discord and am fine with it as a tool. I don't like the voice part of it because it's a way for info to get missed if you aren't in the chat when it happens. I'm on other servers and will run across a text discussion that you question the source on and someone would say "it was in VC". Well theres no way to catch up on that, so you end up missing things.