Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion | Page 283 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Eh. There's a fine line for me.

I like spooky, gothic stories, science fiction, and campy stuff. I don't like gore, slashers, or movies that completely shift from what they've built in the third act. I LOVE Babadook, The Final Girls, and Event Horizon. I hated Hereditary, The VVitch, and They Come at Night.
You're not necessarily wrong on Hereditary and *It* Comes at Night because the third act shifts are pretty abrupt (I enjoy both though), but I don't see how The Witch changed its tone in the third act. It stays pretty consistently eerie.

You're not necessarily wrong on Hereditary and *It* Comes at Night because the third act shifts are pretty abrupt (I enjoy both though), but I don't see how The Witch changed its tone in the third act. It stays pretty consistently eerie.
I lump movies where nothing happens until the final five minutes in those tonal shift movies. They're arguably worse.

I thought it was boring, but fine up until the Black Phillip reveal. From then on, it's just silly and ruins the tone and potential of the film. It COULD have left well enough alone and been a message about religious paranoia and fanaticism destroying families.

But instead we got a talking goat.

Damn... lots of slander in this thread. Hereditary, and The VVitch were both fantastic films IMHO. I never felt bored and I felt like the pacing was steadily increasing for both becoming more chaotic and menacing as the film progressed.

In the VVitch I kind of liked that it actually was a talking goat, because I feel like the majority of films these days they "leave it up to the audiences interpretation" which I mean that is great sometimes, but it's no longer "fresh" especially in the horror genre where there are tons of open-ended conclusions.

I thought It Comes At Night was good, but not as good/original/scary as the previous 2.

A independent horror I didn't like that critics did was "It Follows" ... meh.

My general thoughts on A24's three major horror releases:

The Witch: Fantastic. One of the best horror films this decade.
It Comes at Night: I liked it a lot when I saw it in the theater, but it hasn't sat too well in my mind. I'd need to rewatch it to assess my opinion.
Hereditary: I enjoyed it and thought Toni Collette was fantastic, but it goes 0 to 100 waaaaaaaay too fast. Not going to dive into spoilers, but the movie could have used another 20 minutes between the second and third acts. I know there was a lot more family drama cut, so maybe that would've helped?

So much for Eleven and the other children not being actual performers in the Stranger Things house. Last minute change?

And my anticipation went up a ton. Wonder if they’ll be able to cast 2 casts worth of the kids in Stranger Things, Trick ‘r Treat, and have 2 casts of actors for the paranormal investigator in Poltergeist

Reactions: SeventyOne
So much for Eleven and the other children not being actual performers in the Stranger Things house. Last minute change?
The kids surprise me. The adults and teens I kinda anticipated but, apart from 2 scenes (plus a scene where a mannequin is plugged in) there's no scenes where the kids make a lot of sense.

I could see them do something that puts the whole crew in The Harvest though.

Well what we do know is:
- Path of the Wicked

I guess I have to ask, what clues led us to knowing that some form of an Oz House was a thing? As I recall, Legacy has only confirmed that the facade for this house would not be of Ultraviolent Comics and that we have seen this facade before, but did he ever acknowledge that either clue meant Oz? Saying it’s not this and we have seen it before could apply to any other Requel house, unless there was an Oz acknowledgement that I missed

I went to Hollywoods event last year and honestly I'm surprised Universal Hollywood is as popular as it is. There's barely any space and the lines are ridiculous because there isn't much to do. I'm impressed what they can do considering the constraints.

Last year was my first Hollywood event and it was underwhelming. The amount of unthemed black walls in the houses combined with the fact that every house had at least one (often more than one) scare that consisted of actors standing behind a wall, on a raised platform, and swinging objects down towards the guest to scare them just turned me off. I also have a few friends who worked the event behind the scenes and one of them told me after the fact that the crummy mostly empty design of AvED was because Murdy didn’t want the property so it was designed scaled back on purpose. It was a big disappointment to me given how much more expensive Hollywood is compared to Orlando when it comes to pricing

On the positive side, it made me respect all the more the work of A&D at Orlando