MSHI Expansion? | Page 104 | Inside Universal Forums

MSHI Expansion?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The costumes Universal uses can only be based on the comic books and must be approved by Marvel (Disney). While they can update them to match the more modern comics (much like the new Hulk statue at the ride,) they probably have more important things to worry about, or want to keep their Disney pestering to a minimum.

As you admit, the 1990s style costumes aren’t causing guests to not get in line for autographs, so I see nothing wrong.

We’ll never see MCU style costumes at IOA though. It’s just not something they’re allowed to do. They must be based on the comic book aesthetics only.

Does this means that if they wanted to build a new ride it would be based on old comic book characters? No wonder why they won’t make a new Marvel ride... Nobody wants to see the old/retro Marvel anymore.

Does this means that if they wanted to build a new ride it would be based on old comic book characters? No wonder why they won’t make a new Marvel ride... Nobody wants to see the old/retro Marvel anymore.

Depends how the audiences see it. The fact MCU exists does not negate the fact MSHI is popular since there’s already a big name out there.

They have a lot on their plate. And rebuilding the Hulk was quite a large undertaking. They had plans for a new ride in recent years but the ride tech never worked out so it has been shelved until a later date. In the meantime, they repainted every facade, every giant character art in the land, and the SpiderMan update was more than just updating the ride film as it added like 20% more time to each scene, making it a much more fulfilling experience.

We’ll see more added one day. No one is stopping them. They’re just kinda busy trying to juggle a lot at once across the resort right now, and there’s nothing broken about MSHI at the moment. There’s other areas in pretty bad shape they should probably tend to first honestly.

I find it astonishing that Universal has the rights to this franchise and hasn't built a new ride in the last five years. The fact that the rumored ride was shelved because of tech issues seems odd. Could they not find an alternative ride system or develop an entirely different ride idea?

Seems like an Avengers ride would be a no-brainer, but Universal makes strange decisions needless to say.

I find it astonishing that Universal has the rights to this franchise and hasn't built a new ride in the last five years. The fact that the rumored ride was shelved because of tech issues seems odd. Could they not find an alternative ride system or develop an entirely different ride idea?

Seems like an Avengers ride would be a no-brainer, but Universal makes strange decisions needless to say.

Harry Potter and now Nintendo are bigger fish to fry. HP is a proven winner already and Nintendo should be. That is my best guess.

Reactions: HPFred and Paulio

Universal has a lot of projects on their hand, as repeatedly stated, like Harry Potter, Nintendo, and DreamWorks Animation. Also, they just won the lawsuit against Georgia developer Stan Thomas for 1,000 of acres of land he has been keeping for almost two decades, so they're already developing and mapping out plans how to design and construct a new theme park. They'll probably get back to MSHI once everything clears our, but as Universal's the only major studio not to have its own popular superhero franchises, you can say they sorta lack the will to invest into MSHI, especially when they already have ongoing projects they need to take care off.

Spider-Man is still one of the best rides in Orlando, (if not the very best.) And Hulk is a world class coaster. The land already offers 2 major E-ticket attractions. (Both of which have been updated dramatically in recent years.) Add in a drop tower ride, a spinner, arcade, and a few dining establishments, and I don’t think you need much more.

Not all theme park lands get as much as this one already has.

Now, maybe after a few more things open up around the park and they can afford to lose Dr Doom and Accelatron, (as both were rumored to close to make way for the new ride,) they may pull the trigger on that. Only time will tell.

Reactions: SkiBum and Mike S
Spider-Man is still one of the best rides in Orlando, (if not the very best.) And Hulk is a world class coaster. The land already offers 2 major E-ticket attractions. (Both of which have been updated dramatically in recent years.) Add in a drop tower ride, a spinner, arcade, and a few dining establishments, and I don’t think you need much more.

Now, maybe after a few more things open up around the park and they can afford to lose Dr Doom and Accelatron, (as both were rumored to close to make way for the new ride,) they may pull the trigger on that. Only time will tell.

They're also all rides that opened 20 years ago, updates notwithstanding. The land still has two major attractions, and I get the desire to develop the other park instead of focusing on IOA.

But, seriously, Marvel has been the biggest box office draw for a decade. An addition to the land would have been a bigger deal than adding Kong, for instance.

(And what happened to the Toon Lagoon rumors years ago?! Is that theater between Marvel and Toon Lagoon still there wasting space?)

Some parks <cough Disney cough> think that one E and one C/D is enough. I still shake my head that IoA was built for around $2.0B and Pandora/SW:GE will cost not too far from that combined. Yet, IoA has so much more to offer. I get that HP and Kong have hiked up the investment but it is still mind-boggling that Universal was so efficient. The only ride I don't think fits is Storm but that is because it isn't my bag of tea.

I agree about Spiderman. For a ride to really put you into the action, be thrilling, and remain compelling, Spiderman seems to do this the best.

They're also all rides that opened 20 years ago, updates notwithstanding. The land still has two major attractions, and I get the desire to develop the other park instead of focusing on IOA.

But, seriously, Marvel has been the biggest box office draw for a decade. An addition to the land would have been a bigger deal than adding Kong, for instance.

(And what happened to the Toon Lagoon rumors years ago?! Is that theater between Marvel and Toon Lagoon still there wasting space?)

Many factors including the fact Universal doesn't have a Marvel movie franchise of its own unlike Sony, which is the only non-Disney studio holding on to a Marvel character film rights (Fox is left out because it's gonna be absorbed by Disney anyway), and the issues with Marvel and Disney officials what to do and stuff.

Harry Potter and now Nintendo are bigger fish to fry. HP is a proven winner already and Nintendo should be. That is my best guess.

Universal has a lot of projects on their hand, as repeatedly stated, like Harry Potter, Nintendo, and DreamWorks Animation. Also, they just won the lawsuit against Georgia developer Stan Thomas for 1,000 of acres of land he has been keeping for almost two decades, so they're already developing and mapping out plans how to design and construct a new theme park. They'll probably get back to MSHI once everything clears our, but as Universal's the only major studio not to have its own popular superhero franchises, you can say they sorta lack the will to invest into MSHI, especially when they already have ongoing projects they need to take care off.

In @Talking Head ’s defense, he said the last 5 years. Nintendo, dreamworks and site b have nothing to do with that.
Kong, VB, Diagon, Simpsons and Transformers are better comparisons.

I know I have talked about this elsewhere but the misuse/underuse of Superheros at Theme Parks is so frustrating to me. They are so perfect for colorful, thrilling, action based story telling, which is what Theme Parks are best at.

The under-utilization of DC characters is upsetting but understandable since Six Flags are more Amusement Parks than Theme Parks but the Marvel Characters? Spider-Man is maybe the best ride in the world, Hulk is a great coaster, Dr. Doom and Storm are also rides that exist, but Universal could be doing so much more with these characters. And yes I know they can't use the movie versions but if they are smart that doesn't really matter. No one really complains that the Spider-Man ride doesn't feature Tom Holland (or Garfield or Maguire), or the current cartoon version, or that it features a villain whose only other appearance was like one shitty issue in 1993. Why? Because it is a great ride that captures the flavor of the character with out needing to recreate one version.

It is especially frustrating since Islands opened right at the moment that Marvel began the path to being a household name, even in non nerd families, the world over. It would be like if Universal had done the Harry Potter when Islands first opened, right around the time of the third book, and then when the film series started and the other four books came out they just didn't add anything else.

Unless I am forgetting something, the last real addition Marvel-wise was Storm Force Accelatron in May of 2000, one year after the rest of the park opened. When Storm opened there had been 2 theatrical films based on Marvel Characters, Howard the Duck and Blade, since then there have been 48 movies released to theaters based on Marvel characters not to mention the countless episodes of TV Shows, video games, webseries, novels, toys, stage shows, documentaries, museum exhibits, and of course comic books. The past 20 years have been very, very good for increasing the visibility of the Marvel brand in every arena except for Theme Parks.

So I say bring it on, Disney stick an MCU attraction in every park, Universal tear down that permanently abandoned Toon Lagoon theater and build another great Marvel ride or two.

Excelsior!

I know I have talked about this elsewhere but the misuse/underuse of Superheros at Theme Parks is so frustrating to me. They are so perfect for colorful, thrilling, action based story telling, which is what Theme Parks are best at.

The under-utilization of DC characters is upsetting but understandable since Six Flags are more Amusement Parks than Theme Parks but the Marvel Characters? Spider-Man is maybe the best ride in the world, Hulk is a great coaster, Dr. Doom and Storm are also rides that exist, but Universal could be doing so much more with these characters. And yes I know they can't use the movie versions but if they are smart that doesn't really matter. No one really complains that the Spider-Man ride doesn't feature Tom Holland (or Garfield or Maguire), or the current cartoon version, or that it features a villain whose only other appearance was like one shitty issue in 1993. Why? Because it is a great ride that captures the flavor of the character with out needing to recreate one version.

It is especially frustrating since Islands opened right at the moment that Marvel began the path to being a household name, even in non nerd families, the world over. It would be like if Universal had done the Harry Potter when Islands first opened, right around the time of the third book, and then when the film series started and the other four books came out they just didn't add anything else.

Unless I am forgetting something, the last real addition Marvel-wise was Storm Force Accelatron in May of 2000, one year after the rest of the park opened. When Storm opened there had been 2 theatrical films based on Marvel Characters, Howard the Duck and Blade, since then there have been 48 movies released to theaters based on Marvel characters not to mention the countless episodes of TV Shows, video games, webseries, novels, toys, stage shows, documentaries, museum exhibits, and of course comic books. The past 20 years have been very, very good for increasing the visibility of the Marvel brand in every arena except for Theme Parks.

So I say bring it on, Disney stick an MCU attraction in every park, Universal tear down that permanently abandoned Toon Lagoon theater and build another great Marvel ride or two.

Excelsior!

I agree that it is a shame that Marvel (especially now) has not been used to its full potential in theme parks.

I wonder if Universal has been hesitant to construct a new ride because they can't do the MCU. I'm sure Universal Creative has numerous pitches and ideas, but just never get the spotlight because it's not the "MCU", and the executives don't see a point of having a new Marvel ride not feature the MCU. I also don't blame Universal for not trying considering they are stretched pretty thin now with a new park and all the Nintendo/Beijing/Potter happenings. And like others have mentioned, other areas of the resort like Kidzone, Lost Continent, Shrek, Toon Lagoon need upgrades before Marvel gets its own.

Reactions: HPFred and Andysol
The land has 2 big stars with Spidey and Hulk. That's a land that doesn't need attention right now. Obviously, I'd like to see some tweaks and changes to modernize the land and such, but adding a new ride isn't necessary. It'd be nice, but other areas need focus and attention.
Right. Put Park 3 and USF aside and keep this to IOA, Hogsmeade is getting a second E-Ticket, JP is looking to be getting a second E-ticket and things like Toon LAgoon, Lost Continent and even Seuss need attention before MSHI.

So basically all of IOA needs the attention more, and what is currently in MSHI is considered sufficient enough even with MCU's huge popularity/success.

Also, if your Universal, sure you missed out on the Avengers era, but there's also no signs of Marvel/MCU dying off in popularity, especially now that Marvel Studios is going to finally have control over the X-Men and Fantastic Four characters. There's a good chance that by the time Universal gets around to it, Marvel is still going strong theatrically.

Last edited:
Honestly, MSHI is probably the most well-developed land in the entire resort that isn’t Potter.

There’s so many other places that could use some love.

Right. Put Park 3 and USF aside and keep this to IOA, Hogsmeade is getting a second E-Ticket, JP is looking to be getting a second E-ticket and things like Toon LAgoon, Lost Continent and even Cat in the Hat need attention before MSHI.

To me, Lost Continent needs the most attention. That area is beautiful with nothing but a walkthrough attraction (which has some cool features) and a show. I remember the first time I went through it resulted in me loving the area but being completely underwhelmed by what it had to offer. It absolutely screams for an awesome dark ride based upon mythological creatures (without stepping on HP's toes). Toon Lagoon could use some refurbs or upgrades, especially with Dudley. Dudley could use some more theming. Then, replace the unused stage show with a dark ride. With the available IP, they could really make an awesome ride work there. Cat In The Hat could use a refurb but I think that Suess Island is pretty well represented.