Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This they have a problem with? Clearly the filmmakers just used big bugs that look like they mighta lived in dinosaur times. It's a movie prop lol. People be picky.

That said, there was this episode of Family Matters where Steve Urkel builds a VR video game, and him and Carl get trapped inside it. (The show had already jumped the shark by this time.) So Urkel has this Virtual Reality helmet, that he claims he created himself... But I knew the truth! It was actually a an off-brand Virtual Boy you could purchase in stores. It was for playing Gameboy games through a VR visor. How dare the TV show's prop department not make a brand new VR system for Urkel to claim he made on the show.

There. Now I'm super complaintive too.
Almost right. The Virtual Boy was its own system with its own games. It didn’t play Game Boy games.

No puzzle. Just don't be shocked if Hogsmeade coaster is open before movement starts.
Dang. A whole lot can change in a year in the theme park world. They can’t even budget for it yet- so it’s just an estimated budget they are planning to propose for 2019 and beyond?

One blip in the stocks and this thing could get squashed.

This guy did the insects for Jurassic Park. The whole clip is fascinating but this is the scene where he mentions what he put inside the amber.

That was excellent. Thanks!

Yeah, that old style looks so hideous compared to the new one. I hope we get TLW colors or JP colors. Either one.
The old Raptor Encounter was close enough the tiger striped TLW version for me. Just paint the new puppet like the old puppet and I'll be happy.

Bringing this up in regards to the question of if JPRA could go down by the end of the year, it seems like it'll be still operating by December 15th; as that little bit can be found in the info for the OI meetup.
I'm definitely of the mind that Orlando's will go down next year, a year after Hollywood's does. So it can re-open modified in time to open with whatever new attraction is being built at Triceratops Encounter.

Sorry but can someone get me in the loop here please lol....

I've seen @Alicia 's (great!) video but I am not sure if it's still up to date...
  • Is JPRA possibly getting an overhaul (if so, what type ? Jurassic World ? just new animatronics ? )
  • Did someone say RMC ? :bigeye: (What's the new attraction shaping up to be this point?)
Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Sorry but can someone get me in the loop here please lol....

I've seen @Alicia 's (great!) video but I am not sure if it's still up to date...
  • Is JPRA possibly getting an overhaul (even if it's not Jurassic World; Just new animatronics, e.t.c.)
Probably, we have nothing confirmed at this point, we'll have to see how the Hollywood one performs

• Did someone say RMC ? :bigeye: (What's the new attraction shaping up to be this point?)
Thanks in advance!!
I've heard Gravity Group...But an RMC would be awesome

I would like to point out that Hollywood still had it's annual refurb and yet; it is closing by the end of the year.

Just speculation.... Annuals are planned far in advance. Like they would already have been planning dries for 2019 for a few months now. I don't think any of these JW projects on either coast were approved or known in early 2017. But, it's possible that it's being planned accordingly for Orlando.

But. Just speculation. Timing also plays a factor. If it's closing in November, yeah they might need to do the work.

I've heard Gravity Group...But an RMC would be awesome

Yeah, I'm not super excited about a TGG coaster. They're okay but haven't held up real well over time. If GCI couldn't get wooden coasters to hold up at BGT, I highly doubt TGG can either. RMC would be a better choice IF they can build a ride that doesn't require constant maintenance. Lightning Rod is down significantly and I've heard that Steel Vengeance is as well. I actually would like an Intamin coaster like El Toro (which apparently had RMC input/assistance during design).

Yeah, I'm not super excited about a TGG coaster. They're okay but haven't held up real well over time. If GCI couldn't get wooden coasters to hold up at BGT, I highly doubt TGG can either. RMC would be a better choice IF they can build a ride that doesn't require constant maintenance. Lightning Rod is down significantly and I've heard that Steel Vengeance is as well. I actually would like an Intamin coaster like El Toro (which apparently had RMC input/assistance during design).

This one seems fine

maxresdefault.jpg

I actually would like an Intamin coaster like El Toro (which apparently had RMC input/assistance during design).

Intamin only made a few pre-fabricated woodies around the time of El Toro, and IIRC only El Toro is still operating. One of the others - Colossos - has been closed for a year or two and just announced that they’re replacing all the surface track and reopening. Not to mention, even in the far less humid NJ climate, I still think El Toro has gotten a little rough. (Also, not really important, but just info that I have lol: RMC is credited with construction of El Toro, as that was a service they offered back when they had some more free time)

But just to play with the idea: if universal went with an Intamin prefab, I think it would have to be toned down from El Toro. A coaster that intense seems out of place at Uni. Maybe I’d have had a different opinion 10 years ago, but Uni is marketing for thrillseeking families. Toro is awesome, but a beast, and I think would split up far too many groups to be a candidate.

RMC's Outlaw Run at SDC is doing VERY well a number of years on, and it was the first hybrid coaster they'd ever built. It's rarely down, has had no huge issues since opening, no safety scares, doesn't require much more maintenance than any other wooden coaster, etc. that you often see when companies are trying new things on a grand scale. Also, during the height of summer tourist season, this beast basically eats queues of people when all trains are running. So, in regards to their woodies, I have few concerns. Now, as for their re-tracks (Both Outlaw Run and Goliath were new builds; Steel Vengeance and Twisted were re-tracks, I believe), I can't say what their record is. Their Raptors are very new and I think there have been issues there. If Universal was going for a woodie, RMC would be the best bet. Any woodie built in FL is going to require double the maintenance than it would need in the more northern parts of the US, but we also have wretched humidity here in SW MO, and Outlaw Run hasn't really suffered for it. RMC knows how to handle their woodies built in southern climates. I'd have more faith in them than some of the other companies. I just can't imagine Uni going for a wooden coaster. It would be awesome, but seems very, very blue-sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.